Giving up on THS. Sitters cancelling

Without knowing stats I can’t say how many sitters would cancel but as everyone else has said I don’t think sitters would cancel once they’d confirmed to sit. Applicantions is a whole other ball game. If you were teally anxious about someone properly cancelling, which is rare, then make sure you quickly choose someone with lots of great reviews.

1 Like

I love THS and have done enough sits to know that it can work really well for hosts and sitters. But THS isn’t for everyone and it sounds like you’d be better satisfied with other care. Of course, that care probably won’t be cheap. THS is very affordable for what it offers — it’s a platform for matching for folks who are bartering. That’s pretty much it. From what you mentioned about your expectations, you want more from THS than what’s reasonable. The annual fee is about the cost of one night in a mediocre hotel in many places. That wouldn’t cover what you want.

3 Likes

Just to say sitters do love it when HOs respond promptly as we know where we stand and we can get on applying and not wondering. That said I have not withdrawn an application because the owner took ages, 10 days I think once the application window closed and it was a fantastic 3 week sit in a wonderful European capital so I wouldn’t just withdraw my application if they weren’t prompt. What I really hate is when people say they want you and then mess you about but that’s a whole other post! :grin:

2 Likes

What you may be experiencing, could also be the result of the 5 application rule:

If you’re in a popular location, you will likely get 5 applications pretty quickly.
Due to this new rule, it has become more of a ‘speed is what we need’ game.
More sitters than before just click on apply, before actually reading the listing. Only later on, they read, decide whether they want/can do it, and may withdraw.
The 5 application rule therewith incentivizes a greater share of ‘opportunistic’ vs committed sitter applications.

12 Likes

I second that the 5 application rule likely plays a role. Sitters who see photos of a big, beautiful home in a lovely area might Apply, but when they read more carefully the listing, they decide that it is really not a good match, for whatever reason.

The original poster might want to study their competition in their region to see what Sitters are seeing. Maybe other Owners are offering a car, or their pets are easier, or the tone of their listing is more friendly.

5 Likes

There’s sitter members like our family who have never cancelled a confirmed sit. Of course I’ve had 3 cancel on me though. Don’t give up, there’s no guarantee a sitter won’t cancel but as you can see, sitters face the same challenge. In addition, withdrawing an application is not the same as cancelling a confirmed sit. Applications for sitters is checking to see which sits they want to settle on just like pet parents reviewing applicants to see which sitter to settle on. Each side can deny for any reason. I used to wait a long time in the beginning for the pet parent to get back to me. Now, if they can’t even send an acknowledgement or be courteous about getting back to me, it’s not uncommon for me to withdrawl within 2 days.

1 Like

This post from a sitter says it all…Look for it.

Jan 27 From JOe; Sitters, let’s stand against sitter who cancel!

218 replies, 3.6 k reviews, 330 likes

Most reviewers agreed that it is happening way too often now.

@Wandered You still seem to be confusing withdrawing an application with cancelling a confirmed sit. Sitters can and should apply to as many sits as they choose. I’m about to withdraw an application because the HO did not show up to our scheduled WhatsApp chat. I’m not cancelling a sit, I’m withdrawing an application.

5 Likes

Still doesn’t take away that in this case the HO is not talking about sitters cancelling a sit, but withdrawing their application before a sit has been confirmed - which is something different.

1 Like

I may have used the wrong term, “cancelling” for applicants, but in my case it was not very reassuring that so many were applying then “withdrawing” before we even got to the “getting to know one another” part. That’s when I started doing some digging. I realized it was not me or my listing. THS has changed and not for the better.

Most of the comments appear to be sitters that are defending the site and their experiences. It is a great concept that started out connecting people that could care for your pets and home in return for accommodations. But i do believe the negative comments are too numerous to be ignored.

And yes, this is not for me. I would rather pay for pet care and lock up my home now.

2 Likes

It sounds like that would be best.

5 Likes

Sounds like the right choice for you.

Below, I’ll note these facts for other folks (because we don’t want to delay you from leaving and locking up if THS doesn’t work for you):

For the rest of us, logically if THS continues to grow, it takes an increasing number of satisfied sitters and hosts.

Sitters wouldn’t be satisfied if hosts weren’t overall. If many hosts fled the site instead of continuing to increase, there’d be no reason for sitters to be on the platform and our many, many great sit experiences wouldn’t be happening.

Even if the percentage of actual cancellations (real cancellations, not misnamed withdrawals) held steady, they’d obviously grow in aggregate, simply because there are more sitters and hosts. And reality is, hosts as well as sitters have been accused of cancellations without legit causes.

For all of us members who behave in good faith, we’d rather people not stay in the ecosystem if they can’t do likewise and extend and earn trust, whether they’re sitters or hosts.

10 Likes

Edit- @Wandered i’ve just read your latest post above (probably posted while I was writing my post below) so my comments may no longer be relevent to you but perhaps helpful for others so I will leave it on here…

@Wandered that thread-(stand against sitters who cancel) was an interesting thread highlighting the change over time in the type of new members joining. This combined with the style of THS ‘holiday with pets’ style advertising and the much hated 5 applicant limit have all had an impact on members experiences. It does seem that there are more and more flakey sitters but also more entitled hosts taking advantage of a ‘free’ service. Staff/servant mentality. In my 5+ years as a sitter I have seen changes in attitude on both sides. And I have also experienced the impact of all the unwelcome ‘improvements’ THS has made…
But I belong the old school of committed, reliable sitters who honours their commitments. and I expect hosts to be/do the same and that we treat each other with mutual respect.

I agree with much of what has been said.
I’d advise you to act quickly on each and every application. Acknowledge each applicant. Set up further contact with any that interest you. Politely decline those that don’t fit the bill- to make space for new applicants if needed… Be efficient & don’t keep sitters waiting for a response or a decision. As you are new I’d suggest you choose very experienced sitters with a great track record. Their record of trust & reliability should reassure you.
I do believe the 5 app limit has put enormous pressure on sitters to act quickly to grab a spot before its too late. This usually means they can only do their proper research later- after sending a hasty application- rather than having time for a more carefully considered approach. Its not ideal. The sitter may well later find all sorts of reasons why they need to withdraw their application- something about the listing they don’t like or travel logistics not working etc
Withdrawing an application is not at all the same as cancelling a confirmed sit. And it is far better for a sitter to withdraw- before committing- if they are not 100% certain. Most serious hosts and sitters take their commitment to a confirmed sit very seriously.

12 Likes

It’s an increasing problem since the ‘5 application only’ rule has been introduced. There’s a ‘race to apply’ because if you don’t you won’t be able to due to the cut off.

And then it’s easy for the ‘random appliers’ just cancel with no consequence, and by that time others that might have wanted to apply have made other plans.

I’ve heard this numerous times from HO, several of whom have contacted me in an emergency asking me to sit.

It’s been raised as an issue to THS thousands of times and they’ve said firmly they won’t be changing the ‘5 sit rule’.

It is what it is.

2 Likes

I just booked 3 local sits that I am really looking forward too; a change of scenery being “retired” for lack of a better word.

One repeat so that I can spend time with an amazing dog. What a pup!

I also have a call with sitters that have 50+ reviews for a month long trip we are planning to the UK. Can’t wait to talk to them; very reassured by such applicants!

I do hope that at some point THS gets a true competitor in this service, so there is a choice for consumers.

But I say that for now make the best of THS cuz there is a lot of good about it.

4 Likes

I’ve really changed the way I use the service since it’s become so competitive. I now almost exclusively use it to build relationships in places where I have friends and family and want to return to. For my own sitters I am generally looking for the same, or for individuals who have long-term needs in my area.

I plan to keep my membership active on both accounts and use those aspects to free myself up for out-of-pocket travel.

2 Likes

@Wandered, I’m a home-owner, not a sitter. My perspective is that the THS concept is wonderful but not a guarantee of a sitter so it’s best to consider it as one potential solution when I need a pet sitter.

It only takes a few nights of a pet sit for my THS membership to be worthwhile (compared to local rates for paid pet-sitting in my area). Sometimes I post dates on THS and sometimes I seek a paid pet-sitter.

5 Likes

@BJane that’s how THS works. As has been pointed out above, THS encourages sitters to apply for multiple sits of similar dates (definitely not ‘random appliers’) and then withdraw their applications (not cancel) when they find the sit that most suits them. It’s common practice and it’s not wrong, that’s how it works. It’s not cancelling, it’s withdrawing. Cancelling has a completely different meaning under THS rules.

6 Likes

I have the same problem! Confirmed sitters either cancel because they misread my dates, or they later want me to unconfirm them so they can arrange another sit. I have had to CANCEL my travel plans because the sitter’s confirmation is really only a maybe and they cancel. There really ought to be a way for homeowners to write a review on these sitters, so other homeowners can be forewarned.

4 Likes

@Theresa or a little reliability badge icon given to HOs and sitters who have never cancelled

6 Likes