Hello from Panama!

Hi! I currently live in Panama and I’m new to both THS and house/pet sitting! I recently discovered my love for travel and I love that I can combine that with my love for animals through THS! I would love to get some tips on best sitting practices and meet some new people in the community. If anyone has any tips for first-timers, I would love to hear them!!

Hello @whoisgrace and welcome to the community forum and to TrustedHousesitters.

Your first goal is to set up your profile so that it has all the basics owners are looking for.

1. I suggest you embed your sitter profile in your forum username/profile so that forum members - owners & sitters - can give you constructive feedback.
  2. Digest the house sitter guidelines and make sure you follow the suggestions.
  3. Have at least 3 references. Until you can establish yourself with THS reviews, these are important. Once you get your first review, things get easier.
  4. Don’t take a sit just because you want that first review. If it’s not a good fit, it won’t be enjoyable. Be selective but also flexible.
  5. Start off with a local sit for a relatively short period, to get your feet wet and get that all-important first review.
  6. Set up your availability calendar
  7. Apply for all sits that fit your requirements. Don’t just apply for them one at a time. If you accept a sit, be respectful and withdraw your application from those that overlap those dates.

I find that the best sitters that we have had are ones that have been willing to meet by video or in person ahead of time so we can see if the sit works well for everyone involved. Those that have thoroughly read through our profile and ask specific questions about our pet, home and area really separate themselves in my mind from others.

The sitters that I give the most glowing reviews to are the ones that love my pet as I do, stay in regular communication and return our home in the same (if not better) condition than when we left.

I hope all this helps you get off to a good start on your THS journey - and connect here with other members. If at any time you need any help don’t hesitate to reach out to our community here which is full of helpful members who have been through the process themselves and will happily give advice and guidance. And don’t forget our membership support team are always on hand to give assistance.

All the very best,

Kelly & the forum team