Hi from the Netherlands!

Hi everyone, I’m Wendy, 38 years old, from the Netherlands. I started nursing school in my thirties and will (finally) get my degree at the end of January. I love travelling but unfortunately I haven’t been able to do much of that since starting nursing school because I had to save money for tuition, rent, etc. With my diploma in sight I’m so excited to start travelling again! I have really missed exploring new places and meeting new people. I love dogs and cats so when I found out I can combine my love for travelling with my love for pets, I couldn’t sign up fast enough.

I don’t have any pets myself as I had to let my rescue go earlier this year. I only had Arti for a year. I knew she had cancer when I adopted her, but I met her and how could I not take her home with me and give her the best time she had left? She was abused for 5 years (her entire life) but was still the sweetest girl. Aren’t dogs amazing like that? Before Arti I had another rescue, Diesel. He had a rough start as well. I recently got a tattoo in their honour, to remind me that no matter how tough life gets, you can still be kind and loving. The ear on the left is Diesel’s ear and the ear on the right is Arti’s ear. They were both Beagle mixes and their giant floppy ears brought a smile to my face every day. I’ll add pics of my tattoo and of Arti.

As for my travel aspirations: the world. I want to go everywhere!

Countries and places I’ve been to on holiday or for work: Belgium, France, England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Ukraine, Spain, Portugal, Monaco, Italy, Vatican City, San Marino, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Hungary, Serbia, Kosovo, Bosnia & Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Cyprus, Luxembourg, New York City, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Bali and Australia.

I signed up last week and have my first video call meeting with a family this Saturday. I’m pretty nervous!!

I’ll stop typing now before this turns into a proper novel. Can’t wait to explore the forums, learn more about trustedhousesitters, read tips and get to know you guys better.

Bye!

12 Likes

Hello @WendyNL and a very warm welcome to TrustedHousesitters and to the Community Forum
:wave:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for giving loving homes to Arti and Diesel and that’s such a great way to honour their memory. :dog::dog::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Good luck with your first video call this Saturday, I’m sure it will all be fine and please keep us updated with your housesitting journey. :blush:

Also, remember you can use the spyglass symbol at the top of the page next to the TrustedHousesitters logo and search for any questions that you may have as they have most likely already been answered on here and of course if not then please just ask!

4 Likes

Hi @WendyNL
What a lovely introduction and how wonderful that you took care of and loved Arti and Diesel. I can understand that they brought you lots of joy and how lucky were they to be found by you.
You’ve been to a lot of countries for sure! It certainly does add a lot to travelling and exploring new places when you have the company of animals. It’s a wonderful life.
Presumably you’re planning to housesit during your holidays as you’re just beginning your nursing career, is that right?
Good luck with the video call on Saturday, I’m sure you’ll be great. Let us know here how it goes and where it is.
All the best!

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m doing my last internship from september until end of january so I will take a holiday during that time - would be great to find a sit for that week! And then when I have my degree, the first thing I want to do is go on a trip for like 2 weeks. I don’t know if I’ll have a job lined up already but to be honest it’s very tempting to take some time off, travel, and then go job hunting.

2 Likes

Welcome, Wendy! Sounds like you’re a seasoned traveler and animal lover. I hope you get the sits you want. Feel free to ask questions if you’d like. Many experienced folks in the forum are happy to help.

1 Like