Horses as well as cats?

Hello, I’m a Newbie to the Forum but not THS, we’ve used them for 5 years pre Covid and had some really great sitters from all over the world to stay in our converted farmhouse in the stunning North Wales countryside. We have two cats but now I have my horses at home (one normal size the other is a miniature), I was wondering if this would put off Sitters?

They’re very friendly and live out but do need a bit of attention.

11 Likes

I think there are some sitters that aren’t comfortable around horses. But there are others of us that would jump at the chance, as long as there was enough time for a proper handoff and clear written instructions. If you are willing to trust someone that may need more coaching on their care (and what warning signs to look for in case of illness), I think it would be a great thing. Make sure to mention in your listing what level of experience you require. I recently saw two sits that required having previously cared for horses because one of the horses was elderly. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll find the perfect sitter for all your pets.

5 Likes

Hi @JuliePetParent ! Glad to have you on the forum. I have zero experience with horses but I can think of two people off the top of my head here on the forum who would LOVE to take care of them. I’m sure there are many more. If you want feedback on your listing, just add it to your forum profile:
How to add your listing to your forum profile
Your location sounds beautiful too.

3 Likes

Thank you for your insight. I’ve actually published our sitter dates for the day before we leave (with accommodation provided that night elsewhere) so I can go through everything they need to know about the horses and cats. We always try and meet our Sitters beforehand and give them dinner.

3 Likes

Thank you Mars, I’ll look into that! Guess if someone wants to ride my horse, then they can! Not the tiny one though of course lol.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t feel comfortable with horses but I know sitters who would LOVE it. I don’t think you’ll have trouble finding the right sitter for your needs!

@JuliePetParent We are -right now- in the SW of France on a sit that sounds much like yours! We have 2 very timid cats, 3 lively hens and 2 (retired)white horses! Shaemus looks just like your horse and the other one is a little Shetland pony! There are quite a lot of duties, especially with the horses & we had very little prior experience- feeding, letting them in and out to graze, poo clearing, hoof picking, a bit of grooming, mucking out the stables… And the hens & cats to care for too… But we chose to have this experience and are really enjoying it! And its all pretty straightforward- we had an overlap day/night to go through all the routines. I’m almost 60 now and loved my teenage years of horse riding & working at the stables on a Saturday! So its really lovely to have close contact with with these beautiful gentle beings again!
So it goes without saying we’d absolutely love your sit!

5 Likes

Wow, that’s great to hear youre enjoying it, mine are such lovely girls and pretty easy so i hope i get someone like you for September who loves horses but doesn’t have their own now.

4 Likes

Thank-you i hope people will understand their needs, ill have them to dinner to explain everything as weve done in the past.

1 Like

Thank you I hope so!

This would be something I would love since I have owned horses and am currently sitting for 6 horses and 9 cats.

4 Likes

@JuliePetParent Sadly we are not UK based now, but we actively filter for sits with horses and I have taught my husband to ride and care for them. We recently completed a sit with horses and were lucky enough to get to ride the neighbour’s horses, but we are equally happy just to care for and love on them with no riding required.
The mini stable door is super cute :heart_eyes: :horse:

6 Likes

Thank you. Theyre very spoilt girls! I guess it could be a free horse riding holiday.

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about horses but one day would love to house sit and take care of them with good instructions

3 Likes

Hi @JuliePetParent and welcome. I love doing sits with horses and seek them out (I’m with a pair of donkeys now in northern England). I know many sits I’ve wanted apply to that had horses got snapped up, so I know I’m not the only one. :wink:
Good luck finding the perfect horse-loving sitter.

5 Likes

I would love to look after horses but I’m not experienced.
I’m very experienced with dogs.
I love horses and regularly go on holiday (paid) to Cornwall where I stay on a farm and livery.
I assume you are looking for very experienced horse sitters?

2 Likes

Thank you @Edith that’s reassuring and i may have foubd someone already!

2 Likes

Hi Marie, i think I’ve found someone already who loves horses!

3 Likes

Hi @JuliePetParent and a warm welcome to the Community Forum :wave:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

There are many sitters on here who have experience with horses, myself included, who would love a sit with horses. My hubby and I previously completed a sit where we took care of 12 horses and thoroughly enjoyed it! :horse::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

As @mars mentioned, it would be great if you could add your TrustedHousesitters profile on to your Forum profile by following the attached link, should you wish. This will then enable others to offer you helpful advice and feedback and will also give your listing extra exposure!

I see from your latest post that hopefully you have found someone, fingers crossed.

I have attached a thread below, it would be great if you could join in with this as we think you could offer great feedback and your input would be a great addition. :blush:

1 Like

Out of interest, what kind of experience do you look for?

Thanks Julie :blush: