House sitter was good, but one thing went wrong - what to do?

Have to disagree about AirBnB reviews. I stayed at a place in Iceland where my room was clearly not legal (it had been a closet!) and also unsafe. The door opened outward and the door handle got stuck with the handle of the open door to an adjacent bathroom. I was trapped in the room for 10 minutes before someone came by to let me out. Can you say “fire hazard”? I contacted AirBnb and asked for a refund, saying the room did not meet legal standards. They gave me a different room. In my review I noted that the building was pleasant but the room was unsafe. I then got a note from AirBnb asking if I still wanted to post my review, as the owner was prepared to give ME a bad review! I said yes, of course. When I returned from my trip I searched the review for the place and guess what, mine wasn’t there. So I would not trust AirBnb reviews.

1 Like

:astonished:!! This is so not good. Now I can’t trust Airbnb reviews either :angry:

Interesting, didn’t occur to me at the time that the host could’ve been playing tricks. Maybe in my jet-lagged state I didn’t notice. Didn’t stop me from submitting the review though. I believe what happened is that after I complained the host complained about me to AirBnb. So AirBnb didn’t just somehow spot my review, it was put onto their radar by the host who claimed I was not justified in my complaint.

How long are reviews left on the system? Would be interesting to look on the site and double check. I recall when I got home searching the reviews using keywords that I had included in my review (“unsafe”, “fire”, “door handle”) and no reviews came back.

Regards,
Lisa

1 Like

@pdxgal The reviews stay on the site for ever - you do not have to use key words to search - just go back to the listing ( it will be under’my trips’ on your profile) - Then scroll through their past reviews

This isn’t uncommon. Airbnb consistently deletes negative reviews for hosts/properties. I’ve had more than one removed by them and they were legit problems I could prove with photos and texts.

2 Likes

Or they get put in some invisibility category and Airbnb will deny that it’s been deleted.

yeah. either way, they disappear anything that looks bad.

Yes Id completely agree.Its hard to be honest in case of offence,but as a sitter I would want to know where I fell down.Re illness or any abnormality its best to contact the owner asap.Id not do otherwise.

As an Airbnb host for over a year I do not see the guests review until I have posted their review then they go public at the same time as I get to see what was written about our apartment.
For the host to complain you must have verbally told him or emailed him that you were going to say what you did.
I can confirm both parties review blind and there is very few circumstances a host can get a review changed. My apartment is set up for 6 people.I had a party of 4 complain that there was not enough dishes, cutlery, glasses and mugs for their 2 day stay. Well, maybe if they had washed then in the dishwasher instead of leaving them strewn all over the apartment (the cleaner found a half eaten plate of pizza under the bed) there would have been enough. I even supply dishwasher tablets! I found their review very unfair. So did Airbnb but they wouldn’t change it.

1 Like

Quite agree

2 Likes