How can I make my listing more attractive to sitters?

Thanks for that feedback! I thought about removing that ‘at least’ part and I keep forgetting. Doing it right this second. We had a bad sit and the sitter left our house really messy (dirty dishes, spills, and lots more) so I think we were overcompensating after that.

And yes, we have reviews for all of our sits so it must be a glitch. Bit that is good to know that reviews make a difference. We have always thought so and review our sitters as quickly as we can and ask for a review back too.

2 Likes

Hi Todd,
The listing looks good- just one thing you might consider is that the pre-sit visit that you’ve indicated you’d like would eliminate out-of-state sitters. If that’s important for you, by all means keep that, just a suggestion to consider adjusting.

Also, reaching out to sitters in your area would be good- that’s how we were contacted for our first sit- and since we were looking to build up reviews with internal users (we had lots of external reviews/references on our profile), we were happy to take the local sit.

Good luck!

1 Like

I agree with Kootenaigirl about the feedback. It is great that there is 5 star feedback but was wondering why nobody commented out of the 6 people. Perhaps, as you stated, there was a glitch.
It is great that you have detailed about your property and the responsibilities. I have been to three house sits without a clothes dryer which was quite inconvenient as the weather in these locations has never been sunny during the day when I house sit so I was appreciative that your advertisement was probably the first I have read that indicated you had one. It is a very detailed advertisement. Hope you receive some applicants. Did you end up reaching out to local sitters in the area?

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, it appears there is a glitch with showing reviews. All of our 6 previous reviews are 5 stars.

I just recently added the dishwasher and washing machine items. I’m glad to hear they are worthwhile additions!

1 Like

I have reached out to all local sitters with open schedules. Unfortunately it’s been nothing but declines so far.

1 Like

I perceive the photos as Anysuburb, USA and think you may be missing out on some hikers and outdoorsy folks that would LOVE Parker, CO in October. There are tons of hiking trails, parks, some great points for scenic views of the mountains and beautiful sunsets. The weather is mild in October and I would imagine you are getting some nice fall foliage. A picture is worth a thousand words, so maybe getting some good scenic shots would be helpful. Hope you find someone great soon!

1 Like

haha! Oh trust me, it makes cleaning and vacating the premises so much easier to have those things available for us sitters. On those occasions where I have contacted the owners, I have organised alternatives such as putting the items we used to dry on a clothes horse or outside on the washing line.
I have usually only used the dishwasher for items we used on the final day (washing up the other days).
I am travelling as a family most times so i need to ensure i adapt time saving strategies before leaving.

I agree with @Iwander — photos of beautiful surroundings or a nearby quaint town pull me right in. Your animals are precious, btw.

2 Likes

I think as Americans we assume everyone has a dishwasher and washer/dryer…we are pretty spoiled to all the luxuries available to us (LOL). If coming from another country, it is just a normal thing to ask.

2 Likes

Hello Stef.
I think your home, location, pets and responsibilities look perfect for a wonderful house sit. I have completed between 50 and 100 sits and very experienced. However, I would not apply for this sit because, although retired i like to to explore local areas and always require a sit that allows me at least up to 4 hours away from the home (and with cats usually a bit longer). So I am not recommending any changes because it looks great, but just to let you know many sitters would not like the ‘work/be at home’ restriction, which could reduce your ‘sitter pot’. Good luck and kind regards John

1 Like

Hello @JOHNUK. Welcome to the community forum, and thanks for jumping into the conversation with your valuable insights.

Thanks so much Danandnan, September just didn’t work but the current listing has been super popular. Timing is everything!

1 Like

Thanks so much Sally1! that’s very kind of you! :blush:

I just had a sitter that I booked 3 weeks ago cancel on me for a 7-week sit that starts in early May-ish (she says she is having a medical procedure and needs to be close to home). I’ve reactivated my listing, but so far no action, and I notice that pretty much everyone in my area is showing a “low applications” badge. I searched around on the forum here and added “flexible dates” in the headline and listing to try to make it more appealing. I also added a bit in the intro saying I would be happy to have a local sitter take care of the pets for a weekend so they could get away to southern Utah if they wanted to for a weekend. Is this legit/allowed? Is it something that would appeal to a sitter? I’ve usually had the luxury of getting multiple applications for a sit, so this is new territory for me. Any feedback would be very welcome, thank you!

I am new to THS I was happy to receive and confirm almost immediately a couple to sit for my young dog for 9 days , they’ve since cancelled due to health reasons. I have flights booked, I am now panicking with so many declines. Two have an applied with no further communication. I have messaged around 10 more who have saved my listing … nothing!! What is the protocol if I don’t get a sitter. The only option I will have is to pay £350 for a local dog house sitter… help!!

Hello @cathgreenwald - your sit looks fab as does the description and the flexibility. The red flag could be that 6 of your past sitters haven’t left you reviews (& some have left them for other HOs) which would make us & other sitters think that it’s a problem sit. I’m sure it’s not so can you try and fix this? Best of luck🤞

1 Like

Hi @Lynneive - can you add your listing to your profile please and then members can help you with advice to make it stand out :raised_hands:

1 Like

Hi, how do I do that? I have been in touch with help/ support and they re listed as ‘new’ made no difference at all! Please advise how I add my listing to my profile, if it helps , many thanks

Hopefully this should work - there are some tips in the forum library too if you search “how to add my listing”

Hi @Lynneive. I added your link for you. Now our members can take a look and provide feedback to you.