How on earth do you get started as a sitter?

Hi and welcome,

It may help to get some feedback from friends and family outside of trustedhousesitters, you can send a request for feedback to an external email address. Once received they can click the link in the email to give you star :star2: ratings and a short write up. It appears on your profile different but may be good to get started on positive feedback
Good luck

1 Like

Hi Deborah,
Welcome to the site! I would stick with it a while if I were you- I’m a HO and this summer it was very hard to find a sitter- I see many HOs here saying the same . I actually ended up deliberately sending invitations to newbies and families thinking it might be easier to find someone who was looking for a start, and we did end up giving someone their first sit - she was a lovely lady who got on great with the pets. I made the decision to trust her despite her lack of direct experience after a video chat, as most people do. As it happened none of the families I contacted were interested/available but I would certainly be open to a family and having looked at your profile I think I would have sent you an invitation if I had seen you in May, even though it looks like you’re not interested in Ireland! The one thing you might add is whether you would have your own car- that’s essential for us as we are very rural and we usually take the car with us; this year we were even considering leaving it if necessary as we were so desperate for a sitter but it worked out in the end. The only concern I would have with kids is that they wouldn’t bother the cats or over-exercise the dog (he has arthritis and several injuries but pretends he doesn’t!) but your profile as stands would be enough to make me feel I could have a conversation with you about that. Best of luck, hope you get a good start soon.

6 Likes

Hi all,

we’ve joined recently and I know that we need to be patient, especially with little kids but after receiving rejections and no replies, I just wanna check with you whether it’s the profile, kids or both? :-). Happy to read some suggestions how to improve the profile. My application letter contains introduction and then it’s basically about the pets, what we can do for them to make them happy.

Thank you!

1 Like

Hello @Lenka and welcome to TrustedHousesitters and to the Community Forum :wave:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

I am having trouble opening your link so I have tagged @Therese @Angela_L to have a look at this for you. Once this is working then I/we will be more than happy to have a look at your profile for you. :blush:

1 Like

Thank you @Samox24
@Lenka I have tweaked this now, so it is showing correctly.

1 Like

I have just had a peruse of your profile and it looks great, you have lots of great photos and a good informative description about you and your family. I can understand it is frustrating when you are first starting out and it is a case of being patient until you secure your first sit, but it will come. You have a couple of great external references already I see, you could maybe add a couple more should you wish, it cannot hurt to have more!
I have attached some other links you should find useful and good luck with your housesitting journey. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Welcome, @Lenka!

@Samox24 gave some great info, so please look at those links. You can also search the forums for more.

As you live in the Czech Republic, it probably means it’ll be a little harder to start than usual. I say that only because it’s easiest to start with local sits, to get a couple good reviews under your belt. And also, I think after your first couple sits, you start to become more savvy about what you want and don’t want, how to represent yourself when you apply, etc.

I don’t see any available sits in the Czech Republic. I’d set up a saved search for what you’d consider “local” (or mini-vacation) so you can be notified when they post dates.

As for your profile, I would add some whitespace between each paragraph. I think if you just add one more newline (blank line) between each paragraph, that should make it easier to read.

One of your photos is interesting:
36e6c684924d4dbbc0847b6c95f88c

Did you hike with your dog and a baby? That’s so awesome! But it’s very easy to miss due to the color contrast and small size. I might crop/zoom-in/enhance that photo somehow, or add a similar one. PPs love seeing pics of sitters loving on pets.

Your app letter sounds good: PPs love hearing how you’ll love their pets. If you want, you could post an example app letter here (just remove any identifying info like the PPs name, location, pet names). That’ll give us something concrete to give feedback on.

And even though it’s easier starting local, don’t give up applying for your dream sits! Sometimes lightning strikes!

Hopefully some other sitters and/or PPs will chime in. :grin:

1 Like

Hello Geoff,

thank you so much for spending your time to give us this feedback. I have divided the paragraphs and improved the photo section a little bit :-).

There are some sits in CZ but out of THS. We are gonna try that too to get at least more external references. Inside THS we do exactly what you suggest. We have set up saved search for several countries and we are ready to start sitting just for few days wherever we can get by a car up to 6 hours or at least a week to 10 hours.

I have just received another decline. The reason (when given) is always the little kids. We would use “family friendly with little kids” filter if there was one :-D. It would save time for both sides.

We are new to this site and I’m still waiting for more references. You can check our profile for more info about us.

Thank you for reading all this! Looking forward to hear from you.

Have a nice day,
Lenka

Post moderated to remove sensitive info.

1 Like

Hi again @Lenka,

Yes, your listing is much more readable! And I like what you did with the photo. Minor issue from your listing:

• accompany your pet/s for most of the time. If your pet/s like/s to be outside I can take him/them out with the kids for a longer time than just a walk. If the pet/s live/s outside,

• I haven’t seen / used that way. You could do “pet(s),” etc. Or just use the plural and people will understand:

• If your pets like to be outside, I can take them out…

Regarding declines: If you search the forums, you’ll find that some very successful sitters still had dozens of declines until their first sit. Similarly, it’s very common to not get a reason for being declined. If a reason isn’t given, I would reply to the PP and ask humbly for constructive feedback on finding your first sit.

“Family friendly” filter: I’m not sure refining the filter would help. What does “little kids” mean, anyway? Does it matter how many? Gender? Is a 1-year-old a little kid or a baby?

FYI, that flag is set by the question, “Is your sit suitable for sitters with children?”

Rather, think of that filter as a guideline. If there are a ton of sits, it helps you focus a little. If there aren’t a ton of sits, feel free to search without that filter. I can think of several reasons that a PP might choose you even if their listing doesn’t have the “family friendly” flag. For example, maybe when they made their listing, they had a part of their home they felt might be dangerous for children. But then they renovated their home and forgot to revisit that question/flag.

Some times are better than others to find a sit. For example, in the U.S., Thanksgiving and Christmas are “a sitter’s market.” That’s because everyone wants to go somewhere specific (family). So there are a lot of sits, and a given sit will appeal only to sitters who are flexible or who want to go to that specific place (and haven’t made plans already). You may want to plan ahead; for example, by being available during those periods.

It’s clear from your photos and listing that you’re trying hard to address concerns about sitting with two young boys. As you say the reason is always that, I think it’s good to keep pushing this. Perhaps you can get a reference or two to speak about this, like if your children interacted with their pets. Similarly, where I live there are rural/farming programs where kids learn about animals; so I might say a kid here is enrolled in “Future Farmers of America” or is raising his own pig for the annual trade show. (The pig is boarded elsewhere, but the kid has to check on it, feed it occasionally, train it, etc.)

It’s also possible that for one PP a concern might be children around pets, whereas for another PP it might be children around their house.

Random note about photo captions: If you have them, great. But be aware they are viewable only in the app, not on desktop. And to see them in the app you have to tap on a photo first. (Test in the app to see what I mean.) So, some PPs will see your captions, but most(?) won’t. I don’t know how to tell if a PP uses the app vs website, or any stats on how many use one vs the other. (I mostly use the website.)

I guess I’m saying if you have something important to say, make sure it’s not only in a caption.

How far are you getting in the application process? Or let me pose it another way: What is the purpose of a sitter’s profile and application?

It’s like me asking, “What’s the purpose of a job resume?”

The purpose of a job resume is not to get a job. It’s to get an interview. The interview is where you get—or don’t get—the job. Similarly, your profile might get you an invitation to apply to a favorited sit. Or your profile + app might get you a positive reply from the PP. The smallest example might be a question from the PP, like, “Can you tell me more about…?”

Some sitters track their applications in a spreadsheet. Very useful. You could track each application, how far you get in each one, what worked, what didn’t, etc.

Rather than the daunting goal of getting your first sit right away, just try to get a little further a little more often: a question from the PP (which means they’re engaged/curious/open), multiple exchanges with a PP, a voice call, a video call. If you can get to a video call, perhaps your boys can win them over (vs being a concern).

At the very least, the further you get in the application process, the more likely you are to get constructive feedback one way or the other.

BTW, your group of 10 local families sounds very intriguing. It sounds a bit like “cooperative living” that I’ve seen in the U.S.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Be persistent!

1 Like