How remote would you go?

Some people like remoteness, others run a mile! If you were on your own, how far would you go into the wild for a house sit? I was recently at one with no neighbours, nearest house across two fields, nearest village 2 miles, up a single track lane - not a soul in sight. It was a beautiful area of England. But what would you do if something happened to you eg slipped over, fell, became unwell, unwelcome visitor?

Be interested to hear other sitters views on this.

4 Likes

Love your handle @TravellingWitch :slight_smile:
What would you do if you slipped over, fell, became unwell had an unwelcome visitor in a flat in London? You could scream all day and chances are no one will hear you. Or for that matter, what do people do when they go hiking, walking in the woods or driving long distances solo?

I have stayed, several times, 6-8 weeks at a time in remote homestead in Wales where it can be darker than darker, me, the cats and the howl of the wind and no locks on the doors and have felt perfectly comfortable, actually thrilled. I am smiling just remembering and would gladly go back again. I am looking forward to it. I did have a landline and big list of friends and neighbors in town in case of emergency.
I have also stayed in large remote areas here in the states similar situations and have been asked to return because they have difficulty finding people who are willing to stay there. The reward of being with nature far outweigh the risk or the fears of the what ifs.
Things can happen to anyone at any given moment anywhere. This is a reality of life and I am one of those people that when my time comes, I will have the biggest grin on my face and know that I have lived a wonderful life.
So yes, I will go wherever I am welcomed. Besides the HO in Wales showed me where he keeps his bat in the bedroom. :wink:

7 Likes

I’m thinking @TravellingWitch you felt comfortable applying for that sit and had thought about the issues you listed. Hopefully you were given emergency contacts by the HO should anything unexpected happen. Much as I love rural England, I probably would not undertake a sit as you have described on my own, preferring to stay within reach of a small hamlet/village. Living in Australia, I definitely would not undertake a remote sit by myself where it might mean hundreds of kilometres from civilization!

4 Likes

I love remote sits (or travel)! Can’t be far enough from neighbours or towns for me :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I do make sure I have a car though, either my own or a rental, I do want to be able to get groceries or get to a vet when needed.

People are sometimes shocked, me being alone in a remote area and always ask me if I’m not afraid but I really enjoy the silence. Only the sounds of nature for me if possible. I sold my house in the Netherlands for this reason: too much noise and neighbours :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I love remote places & find them super invigorating as I am a lone wolf!! Especially hanging out with animals in remote places & wandering around with them exploring!!

:butterfly: :butterfly: :butterfly:

4 Likes

I love remote places, my husband does not, I’m from Paris and am very pleased to live now in the country, my husband is from a smal town in Normandy and pleased to travel in big towns. He’s not fond of sitting.

That’s also why i like to sit alone, to be far from civilization. Problem in GB -where I sat in a huge home in Costwolds, a few miles from the village- is I miss pubs if i can’t go there on foot.

Once I applied to a sit the owners said remote in mountains (in France), they liked my answer and said they were declining only because they were frightened I would face problems being alone.
I answered I was not the scared woman type, they finally came back to me, accepting my application (but in between I had decided to sit somewhere else !)

I 'm anticipating accidents, as i fall very often (due to an accident to my knee and heavy surgery) and stairs in a sit in south east lately were quite hard to climb. The village was empty, so Iknew I had to be very cautious.
I don’t carry an emergency button around my neck so far !! When I need it, I will stop sitting…
Falling may happen everywhere. @Amparo is right, you may fall in Paris and die alone if nobody hears you scream, if your mobile is not with you, or close; If nobody is expecting your call.

I wanted to go to Costa rica (a home in the jungle with a cat and a dog) once but to be honest, I was scared to be biten by venimous spiders or snakes, and being alone could have been difficult if nobody could drive me to a hospital… So i dreamt for a few hours but did not apply. Rather stupid if you can’t cope.

In a remote place, you only need not to be scared by solitude. What i like. If you look after a dog, you feel totally safe (even if he’s not a guard dog) as he barks. Cats don’t warn you somebody is coming. But if somebody is coming nasty (ev erywhere in the world, not only in remote places) are you able to react in a clever way (we don’t carry guns in Europe)

5 Likes

Hi @TravellingWitch , I’m a HO, not a sitter but if I were a sitter it would be impossible to be to remote for me! Same as when I’m looking for somewhere to holiday I feel much more comfortable as far away as people/towns/cities as possible :grin:

4 Likes

We have done remote sits a few times and I think we now prefer them for a short amount of time. If there aren’t neighbours close by I think we feel a little wary in a new area.

3 Likes

I love wild, remote locations. Unfortunately, I am usually working while travelling so can only go as far as reliable internet will allow! That said I am currently writing from an oceanside log cabin on Prince Edward Island - no other houses or people in sight. Paradise!

6 Likes

That sounds like paradise to me !!!

5 Likes

In 2015, my husband and I did a 6 week sit about three miles into the jungle on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica in Bri Bri near Puerto Viejo. There was no electricity or plumbing, Walking into town would take about 90 minutes, maybe longer. No cell service anywhere near the property. Closest neighbor was probably at least a 10 minute walk or longer. Once a week we would rent a hotel in town to go online, get some exposure to civilization and go food shopping. While I didn’t think about it obsessively, it did cross my mind that if there was any sort of medical emergency–thought about snake bites the most–we would be in trouble! I would stay in an area like this again, but I wouldn’t do the no electricity or plumbing thing again most likely.

6 Likes

My very first sit was an off the grid house on a piece of privately held land in the middle of a national park in New Mexico I was 10 miles to the nearest paved road I was there for 8 days without seeing another human or a car in the distance it was a delightful time I hiked in the park I played with the animals and I was perfectly comfortable for 8 days when she asked me to return for 3 months I declined because that much solitude for that length of time would have been too much but I generally like solitude on my sis and enjoy getting to know the neighborhood on my own

4 Likes

Thank you everyone for your lovely contributions/ Certainly given me food for thought. Wishing everyone safe sits. x

1 Like

To answer this question I will tell you my happy place….
Middle of the Atlantic Ocean with the nearest land 5 miles away…….down the way.

Remoter the better.

3 Likes

I have thought about where would I live when and if I am ready to “settle down” and “plant roots” and boat life was pretty amazing. Do seagulls deliver mail?

wait nevermind, I don’t need any mail.

1 Like

Nous avons échangé des maisons sur l’île du prince Edwards, qui est une grande île, on y cultive la pomme de terre, envoyée sous forme de frites dans toute l’Amérique du Nord. Ce n’est franchement pas mon île préférée. Rien de paradisiaque…

Boat life is the most amazing way to travel and live. If you wanted a change of scenery, up the anchor and blow out the sails. It’s also very hard work, physically and mentally demanding. We sailed 35,000nm in 5 years with only little breaks on dry land. I needed a break but never say never go back. Who knows

4 Likes

Agreed. That is why I no longer have one. A lot of work for a single older me but it is one of those things I can grin about with complete total satisfaction.
Enjoy and keep sharing. I can live through you. :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

My favorite sits are in the heart of a city - I’ve often seen remote sits that look appealing but I know they’re not meant for me. I would end up like Jack Nicholson in “The Shining”! That’s what’s so wonderful about THS - there’s an ideal sit for everyone.

4 Likes

Hi there, since I travel solo I have a close friend and a family member that can track me on Google maps and the Life360 app. Gives me peace of mind that someone trusted always knows where I am.

1 Like