Single sitters

Hello
are there many single sitters out there…male or female.
I’m single and doing a few sits in the UK in July and again September ( doing the Schengen shuffle).
I do enjoy my own company and am confident being on my own. I love walking and will happily explore the area on my own (mindful of course of being responsible for the pets).
Do sitters experience loneliness? Being from Australia I have to be mindful of the time difference and cannot just pick up the phone to chat with a friend in Oz. I’m not too worried but wondered if other sitters had any tips
Cheers

4 Likes

That is purely down to the individual, we are all different

I don’t sit on my own but have travelled for years as a single woman. Never lonely. Meet Up is a great thing for finding local groups, if you’re sitting for somewhere longer then joining clubs, classes, charity shop volunteering (on a longer sit), all are pretty open and easy in Blighty. That plus pets, walks, coffee shops and books and I’d be happy as a songbird. #freedomtodoasyouplease

5 Likes

The weather will be nice then, and if the pet is well-behaved one chats with other people who are walking their dog. Much more pleasant than in wintertime.

Today I will go to a biking event, a group ride to some fair in Reach (has been going on since 1201 !).

2 Likes

Hey mate! Fellow Aussie here. I will be in the UK from August till however long it takes :grin: I have travelled solo for probably 15 years now and wouldn’t have it any other way. I do get lonely sometimes, but you can also be lonely WITH people. You just need to sometimes be in a place of solitude and other times you need to be surrounded by other people. I don’t usually “do” cities but currently I am en route to Europe after six weeks in Vietnam and am so happy today to arrive in Hanoi and be surrounded by people again. There are bars, coffee shops, cafes, all with people doing what I am - travelling. So we talk about our lives and travel and the world is good again. But I can also walk away and enjoy my own space, which I like. It can get too “peopley” out there sometimes. Loneliness is part of long term travel and you learn to take the lows with the highs but gee, aren’t the highs worth it all!

Also, in my moments of loneliness, it’s so easy to phone home via Messenger or WhatsApp. I only need to talk for like five minutes and that’s enough for me to know I am in the right place. As great as it is to talk to home, I don’t need all the stress and drama that sometimes comes with those calls so once I hang up, I’m no longer lonely. Always remember that no matter where you are, whether it be at home or abroad, at some point we are ALL lonely, even when surrounded by people.

12 Likes

thanks matey @ziggy
Was just going through one of those moments. Currently sitting up the coast from Sydney and the weather has been absolutely foul. Also the home I’m sitting in is pretty ordinary and not so clean. One very dirty lounge with an equally dirty sheet thrown on it and both me and the dog have to share it(:
I actually enjoy travelling on my own and will talk with a light pole if I’m standing long enough next to it. I’m a very social person and know that I’ll be fine. Just needed a little bit of reassurance.
Cheers

9 Likes

Rest assured @Karen65 there are plenty of us single sitters enjoying our pet sitting experience. I’m an Aussie sitter too and been sitting since 2016, often alone. I love sitting in the UK and always find people in villages (I prefer rural sits) just so friendly. Whenever possible, I join in any activities/go to church/have coffee at the village shop so I meet people. And, when dog walking, you can guarantee someone will chat to you!
Have a wonderful time!

7 Likes

@Karen65 if it’s any consolation my nickname is “have-a-chat” :rofl:. Sometimes all we need in those down moments when we are lonely is just someone to vent to, to let our frustrations out, just to know we are not alone. Then we put on our happy pants and get going again. Horrible sit it sounds like but just remember it’s only temporary and will soon be forgotten once you move on, some things just can’t be fixed. We Aussies are made of tough stuff so remember, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Take care now and talk again if ever you need to :kangaroo::koala:

6 Likes

Hello!
Solo traveler since 1979 here. Nomadic now for quite a while and like others here, wouldn’t have it any other way. It took me a while to appreciate my nature, my desire to be alone. Not because I don’t like people, at least not anymore :laughing:, but because I have learned to think for myself and make my own decisions without the influence of others. I don’t get lonely. What I used to feel was that something was wrong with me so I tried to travel with family and friends and not only was I miserable but they were too. Just the facts.
I do enjoy meeting new people, sharing time and having new experiences but my solitude is priceless.
Stay in touch with those you treasure with WhatsApp and your method of choice to stay connected as often as you need to.
Give yourself space in this uncomfortable zone. Things will change.
You are changing and how you feel and think will also change.

The other option is not to. :wink:

6 Likes

Very lovely words from oh wise one @Amparo, this woman really knows how to live life, an inspiration to all :heartpulse:

6 Likes

Hi @Karen65
Single sitter here. I don’t tend to get bored on sits as I’m either working remotely or exploring.
I’m based out of London and would be happy to meet up if you are sitting in this area. I’ve been fortunate to meet a few fellow sitters either during sits in Europe or in London.

4 Likes

There you go @Karen65.
Remember, All things must pass. Just like the weather.

1 Like

Thank you @ziggy
We are from the same tree.
The best is just ahead.

2 Likes

Hi @Karen65

The weather plays a huge part in the overall experience, so you’ve definitely picked the right time of year to visit the UK. If you enjoy walking you might want to join the Ramblers Association, which has groups all over the UK, although I’m not sure whether dogs can join all walks or not, so it’s worth checking if you’re looking after a dog. I’m thinking of joining for an upcoming sit, but a lot of the time I’m happy pootling around on my own, chatting to whoever I bump into. The longest I ever went without even seeing another human was three weeks (and no mobile/internet either) and whilst I didn’t feel particularly lonely at the time, it was a bit overwhelming/emotional when I finally did see people again!

2 Likes

Hi @Karen65
Single sitter here and I’ve been travelling, mainly alone, for most of my life. I’ve just recently returned from housesitting (alone) and roadtripping in Australia and New Zealand where I made some wonderful friends. I’ve sometimes been invited by neighbours for meals and on walks etc. The only times I don’t like to be on my own is at dinner when I’ve been travelling, but that’s not a problem when housesitting.
I’ve only very occasionally felt lonely but am an avid reader so get stuck in a book, or some mindless Netflix series!
I look to see what’s going on in the local area, even attending amateur dramatic plays and musical concerts.
There was a discussion some time ago here on the forum with lots of ideas of what to do while housesitting. I’ll try to find it and post it. All the best to you!

5 Likes

This wasn’t the post I was thinking of but it will help:

Maybe @Silversitters can remember of find it? Always on the ball :blush:
And people here post ‘meet ups’ so you could do the same. Just put the places you’ll be sitting at and the dates and suggest a meet up in that category.

1 Like

Was it this one ?

Haven’t heard that saying before but intended to use it in the future

1 Like

Hi, from the USA, I have been traveling and pet sitting solo for years. I certainly get lonely at times, but it passes. Just need to feel those feels and then move on. I might journal, read a book, and always try and count my blessings that I am healthy and above ground. Are you on any facebook sites for solo travelers? There are many, might be helpful if you are interested. There’s one called host a sister where you can request meet ups from people wherever you are at.

1 Like

I love solo travel, including sitting. I enjoy my own company and love silence. I also read a lot.

My husband is a homebody, so it makes it easy for me to enjoy the world and know that he’s taking good care of our home and dog.

When sitting, I telecommute, so I’m always on video with coworkers.

It’s also really easy to strike up conversations with strangers, especially if you dog sit. You can join meetups worldwide as well, if you like.

I sometimes chat with neighbors while sitting. On a U.K. sit, my hosts kindly intro’d me to neighbors, who asked me to afternoon tea and a lecture.

1 Like