I get declined after every video call - I am frustrated

I have not had many video calls, as most have been offered just on an exchange of emails. I am also not always that good at chatting to people I don’t know. However i would start any conversation with a few compliments, such as you have a lovely home and live in a really nice location. Presuming that applies that is? Then add somehing such as, you would be keen to explore such an interesting area etc.
If you would be looking after dogs then ask if there are places straight from the door you can walk and explore. Would the dog/dogs travel well in the car if wanting to take further afield. Ask how far they walk, such as happy to come out with you all day, if near nice coastal walks perhaps or inland forest etc. Or are they only up to short walks, if elderly. If chickens, ask how many eggs they usually lay? Always query somehting regarding pets they have. They are lots of things you can ask. to open up conversations. You do not need to put on a presentation as you put it. Maybe if you don’t really say anything, the home owner does not think that you are very interested in home or pets. Good Luck.

3 Likes

I’m shy and introverted, but maybe not as much as you. There is nothing wrong with being shy and introverted, but i have worked over the years to overcome wats these traits may hold me back.

As a sitter i actually l like calls - video or voice - and won’t take a sit without one. I usually dont have a lot of questions but i dont feel like that is the only things these calks are about. I want to get a feel for the person or people im sitting for. And i wantbthem to get a feel for me and my husband. I want them to be comfortable with us. They are leaving some of those most precious members of their household with us. I want them to know they can ferl goid about leaving them with us.

On my end, i have read so many things about bad hosts, i want to get a feel of who they are.

3 Likes

I would prepare a bit for the video chats.

Usually the first thing is general introductions. If they don’t launch into questions, you could say, “Well, then, do you have any questions for me?”

If they say “no,” then have a couple of questions ready to ask.

That usually gets a conversation going.

Be cheerful, confident, and attentive.

1 Like

It’s not exactly free, though is it? The sitter is getting accommodation worth, say, $150 a night and the homeowner has ongoing expenses for the duration of the sit. And I’d be more particular about who cares for my dog than who a middle manager is.
It is a job interview whether it’s done by voice or video call, or text messaging.

2 Likes

Hiring a manager involves quite a bit more money than a few hundreds of dollars.

The sits that I have taken without video chats were all for HOs that were easygoing and relaxed people with happy easy pets.

1 Like

The sitter is doing the HO a big very personal favour….if there were no pets I’d not be wanting to stay in the house…… we do this for the animals and as a base to see local friends/family, but we could just as easily stay with the friends tbh …. it’s not about saving money at all for us anyway. It’s for the fun of it, so if a HO is going to be difficult then I’m simply not interested. If I get any whiff of entitlement or attitude then I’m reversing out of that video chat pretty fast….

7 Likes

I almost never do video chats. My point was that house sitting is not free, and you are in fact being interviewed for a job, however it is conducted.

Are you saying that people who ask for a video chat are likely to be uptight with neurotic pets?

… and the Home Owner is doing the sitter a big very personal favour. It’s about finding a match in expectations.

1 Like

The HO isn’t doing us a favour :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: as we might as well stay at home in our lovely place …. and play with friend’s dogs etc. We’re happily retired and do this for fun. My sense is that you’re not my kind of HO so that’s ok and the realisation of us not being a good ‘fit’ would emerge during a video chat….which is why it is so important. Best wishes to you finding your kind of sitters though….

5 Likes

We’ve been on a losing streak too lately. Rejection after rejection. Early on when we first started applying, we were getting a bunch accepted so I thought it would get easier after getting five star reviews. I think we have 18 now but we’re getting more rejections now than before. Oh well. We’ll just keep applying

2 Likes

No one is doing anyone a favor when they barter. Both sides get a good deal, otherwise who’d agree?

And hosts who say their sit = $X in hotel room equivalents don’t actually get that if someone booked a hotel room, they’d pick the exact location they want, with the dates they want and the ability to come and go whenever, to not clean anything and not be responsible for pet care, chores, emergencies and such.

Any host who thinks they’d be doing me a favor, please don’t. I wouldn’t want to barter with anyone who doesn’t understand the exchange.

11 Likes

We’d never take a sit without a video call @Marj . As keeps being reiterated by the sensible folk on here, it’s a fair exchange as long as both parties are reasonable people. We want to see in the whites of someone’s eyes :eyes: plus the state of the home & maybe a hello to the pooch before we commit. Maybe think of it as a chance for you to choose if they are really for you @lalalein94 #mightchangeyourpysche

3 Likes

Got declined yesterday for a sit. A place that’s been on my bucket list for years. One minute the HO is talking as if we have got the sit. Then we noticed a shift. Pinpointed to my referring to the indigenous people of the Orkneys, as Scottish!

The rejection cited the sit had gone to people who appreciate the area.

1 Like

if they have seven people to interview then there’s your answer, there are six other people with great reviews they want to talk to, and your chances are 1 in 7, and if the location is one you like with a pet you like, then you’re probably facing some serious competition. Some sits are very hard to get, very competitive. I have something like 32?34? five star reviews, i still get turned down about 80% of the time. And that’s in my hometown…
Can you get more reviews around where you are? make sure to mention to HO to clearly mention what they liked in their review so your reviews are not generic.
that’s all i can think of without any more info.

Gosh that’s a bit harsh. I have accepted sitters who weren’t 100 per cent clear on the difference between Ireland and the UK as even though it made my hackles rise I didn’t think it would affect their pet care and I figured they would learn! But in fairness if I were in a high demand area and had loads of good applications, I suppose it would have bumped them down the list. Hope you get another chance at Orkney. Only passed through on the way to Shetland but both are amazing.

1 Like

@Marj I don’t know if you are a host or a sitter but your attitude does not match my understanding of the THS exchange.
Firstly a video call between host & sitter is most definitely NOT a job interview. There is no payment involved. It is not a job with Boss & Employee. It is a mutual exchange. The call should be just that- a friendly meeting to ask & answer Qs and to check we are all a good energetic match. The value of the home or its overnight cost potential is absolutely not relevant. If I am sitting in a huge mansion, for example, with a couple of dogs & chickens. I am there because there are animals to take care of and a home to keep secure. I would not pay thousands if it were just a holiday for myself & the hubby - we’d rent something much smaller & simpler- more appropriate to our budget. We are there because the HO needs sitters!

There would be no housesitters if there were not first hosts needing/wanting live-in sitters!
So from that perspective it is sitters who are doing the hosts a great favour since we answer their need. Right now, we are on a 5 week sit in the south of France with 2 cats and an enormous number of plants, both indoor & outdoor, that need frequent watering. The hosts had an emergancy in another country and listed their dates only one week before and were desperate for sitters. We pulled out all the stops to get ourselves organised in time to get down here. They have complete peace of mind. In this case (for various reasons) they are getting the better end of the deal. We’re OK with that. Sometimes its the other way around.
At the end of the day hosts need sitters more than vice versa.

And then looking from another perspective, I can say we have happily joined the housesitting bandwagen because it does give us great opportunities to travel in an interesting way at lower cost… & It has been a fabulous and life changing adventure. :blush:

9 Likes

Referring to Orkney as “the Orkneys” won’t have helped either as people can be very sensitive about it. I agree that it’s harsh to reject you just for that though!

1 Like

Hi, as a HO I personally feel I need a video call to get a sense of the sitter. It’s not a job interview but I need a conversation to have a sense of are they kind and warm? Do they seem to have basic common sense and a basic level of self confidence that will allow them to handle every day situations or things that are slightly unexpected? (Obviously reviews help with this but I feel I need to form my own sense of the person too.) And in my case I need to double check that they understand it’s a rural area and they need a car, as it surprising how often applicants overlook that part or think a workaround might be possible. I don’t have a list of questions for you because you are right it’s not a job interview and I don’t want to grill you. But I do need to form an impression of you.
I completely understand that some people don’t find these interactions easy or intuitive, but rest assured, all you need to show me is that you have a genuine interest in my animals and you know where we are and have a realistic plan to get here and get around. If you really don’t have any questions and you find chatting difficult, rather than giving a “presentation” (which is not what I’m looking for) maybe you could say something like “is there anything that you feel I really need to know?” or “what’s the most important thing for a sitter to know from your perspective?” That would go a long way towards letting me know that you are interested in understanding what’s required and meeting the animals’ needs. Then in the conversation that follows you will naturally be able to mention any similar experience you’ve had or just give me a sense that you understand and you’ll be able to manage.

11 Likes

Bear with me here a moment.
Step back and look at this.

“I get declined after every video-call. I am frustrated”

Is this truly what you believe?
How do you think/feel this effects your demeanor, attitude, posture, energy, during a video call?

Pump your self up.
Rejection is going to happen. It is not a reflection on you unless you make it so.
Brush it off and move on to the next.
But go in like a champion.

I get the sits I apply for.
I love the opportunity to interview for the sits I desire.

Go in winning!

11 Likes

Excellent advice @Amparo - made me think of Tony Robbins “Door jam” - shoulders back, chin up, eyes to the door frame, smile on your face and hand outstretched. And you’re off!! :raised_hands: :raised_hands:

3 Likes