Ich stelle mich kurz vor / I introduce myself briefly

Mein Name ist Reinhard und ich lebe in Österreich.
Ich möchte ab etwa Herbst 2022 als “Housesitter” in Europa unterwegs sein.
Vorzugsweise in Südeuropa.
Was kann ich tun?
Ich verstehe es mit Tieren zu leben und kann mich rasch an Neues anpassen.
Ich freue mich über Antworten und Anfragen. Reinhard

My name is Reinhard and I live in Austria.
I would like to be on the road as a “housesitter” in Europe from about autumn 2022.
Preferably in Southern Europe.
What can I do?
I understand living with animals and can adapt quickly to new things.
I am looking forward to answers and inquiries. Reinhard

4 Likes

Welcome, Reinhard
Speaking back to my starting days
Be willing to take sits that may not be perfect.
Be flexible with dates and travel.
Personalize your application messages - show that you have read the HO’s description and what they are looking for.
tom

2 Likes

Hallo Reinhard,
willkommen hier im Forum!
So wie Toml schon schrieb, kann es sein, dass du zuerst mal mit nicht ganz perfekten Sits anfangen “musst”, denn viele Haus- und Tierbesitzer (HO) legen Wert auf gute Reviews und das macht es natürlich für Neulinge nicht so einfach die ersten Sits zu landen.

Ich bin HO und schau nicht so sehr auf die Reviews, aber wenn zB ein Sitter selbst Haus- oder Wohnungsbesitzer ist, ist das für mich ein positives Kriterium. Für mich macht es einen Unterschied ob ein älterer Sitter, der weiß wie es ist Eigentum zu haben, oder ein junger, der nur WGs oder Mietwohnungen kennt, sich bewirbt.

Ein anderes Kriterium für mich ist die Flexibilität.
Ich empfehle dir schon in der Bewerbung zu sagen, dass du flexibel sein kannst. Leider ist Corona ja noch nicht vorbei und es kommt vor, dass die HO nicht pünktlich zurückkommen können, weil sie sich im Urlaub angesteckt haben. Wenn man ihnen die Angst, keine Versorgung der Tiere zu haben, nehmen kann, indem man sagt, dass es kein Problem ist länger zu bleiben, hast du schon mal für dich gepunktet.
Meine nächsten Sitter habe ich genau nach diesen beiden Kriterien ausgesucht.

Hast du schon ein Profil erstellt? Ich meine nicht hier, sondern auf der THS Seite? Du kannst den Link dazu dann in deinem Forumsprofil unter Website speichern.

Leider sind hier nicht so viele HO im Forum. Die meisten sind Sitter und wenn HO dabei sind, sind es meistens Engländer oder US Amerikaner. Aber man lernt sehr viel wenn man hier die unterschiedlichen Threads durchliest.

Jedenfalls wünsche ich dir viel Spaß hier im Forum und im Herbst viel Erfolg bei der Suche nach tollen Housesits! Am besten fang bald schon an zu suchen!
VG Heike

Welcome to the forum!
As @toml already wrote, it may be that you will need to start with not perfect sits, because many home and pet owners (HO) rely on to good reviews (5-star) and this makes it not so easy for newcomers to land the first sits.

I am a HO and I don’t rely too much on the reviews, but if, for example a sitter is a home or apartment owner himself, that is a positive criteria for me. For me it definitely makes a difference if an older sitter who knows how it is to own property or a young one who only knows shared or rented apartments, applies.

Another criteria for me is flexibility.
I recommend to say (already in the application) that you can be flexible. Unfortunately, Corona is not over yet and it happens that HOs can’t come back on time because they got infected during their vacation. If you can take away their fear of not having care for the animals by saying it’s not a problem to stay longer, you’ve already scored points for yourself.
I chose my next sitters based on exactly these two criteria.

Have you created a profile yet? I don’t mean here, but on the THS site? You can then save the link to it in your forum profile under “website”.

Unfortunately there are not so many HO in the forum here. Most are sitters and when HO are present, they are mostly from the UK, Austalia or the US. But you learn a lot when you read through the different threads.

Anyway, I wish you a lot of fun here in the forum and in autumn a lot of success in finding great housesits! I recommend to start looking soon!

4 Likes