Introducing myself,New Zealand

Hi,
Tammy from Christchurch New Zealand, just joined as a sitter,im 54 have a natural way with animals,i travel a bit arpund nes zealand & Australia, currently not Australia ,but New Zealand particularly south island ,the housesitting sounds perfect ,with my part time travel around south island mainlly ,sometimes north,i look forward to seeing whats available with house sitting care & animals ,
Iv traveled a bit over my life life ,lived in new zealand & Australia .
Lived in England decades ago
Very exciteing

6 Likes

Hi!

Welcome & good to see another mainlander around :+1:. We live a few hrs away in South Canterbury.

There are a few lower south island sits around & a couple Southland inactive ads so a few sit choices to apply for.

Take care

3 Likes

Hi @Tammy Welcome to the site. I emigrated from London in 1962 with my wife, Carol, who was pregnant with our first child.

We built a house in Witham Street, Christchurch 4 and lived there for 12 and a half years. I was factory manager for Hamilton Perry who made aluminium windows. Bill Hamilton invented the jet boat. This was probably the best job I ever had.

We had three children in New Zealand. I would still be there now but my wife was very homesick so we packed up and left in 1976.

We settled in Bournemouth.

Sadly Carol died in 1994.

The link to how I met my second wife is here Strangers in the house - A love story

All the best

John

4 Likes

Hi Tammy welcome to our community forum and to TrustedHousesitters, thank you for joining us from Christchurch NZ.

We have an amazing global community, having members share insights into their home countries and places they have visited and aspire to visit in the future is so enriching. Christchurch is a beautiful city, I hope that it’s recovered from the disaster of 2011, we were in the city that day and really hope to return one day.

Thank you again for joining, enjoy connecting with other members and we really look forward to sharing in your 2022 THS pet and house sitting adventures.

Angela & The Team

1 Like

Hi Tammy and welcome to housesitting. I spent 6 months travelling and housesitting in the North island from July 2019 - January 2020. After 6 months out of NZ I was due to return to travel around the South Island but COVID put paid to that! There are usually more sits in the North island, presumably because there are more people there, and I presume when you can you might housesit in Oz too.
Good luck and enjoy this new venture. I love it!

2 Likes

Hi Tammy and welcome! My husband and I have been lucky enough to be “stuck” in New Zealand since March 2020. Other than the two lockdown periods and a few breaks here and there, we have been house sitting full time throughout your beautiful country. We’ve been house sitters for 6 years and love the lifestyle. Hopefully, you will too!

We have a house sit booked in Kaiapoi for the month of February. We are taking the month of March for another road trip around South Island as our last “hurrah”. Our visas expire in mid April and sadly, we have to move on :cry:. We have a 5 month house sit in Brisbane starting in April, so we sure hope border restrictions and current COVID surges in Oz are sorted by then. All the best to you!

2 Likes

Welcome @Tammy to THS and the forum. Great to have another member from the southern hemisphere! I’m one of your neighbours from across the water and hopefully our countries will soon open up to each other once again. Enjoy sitting in your beautiful country.

Welcome, Tammy
I’m from the US but have visited NZ twice - first for 2 weeks in 2001 but then after I retired spent about 6 weeks in 2017. North and South islands - even got to see the Hundertwasser public toilets. And really enjoyed Dunedin.
Looking forward to the world getting well and getting a sit in NZ.
tom

Hi @anon1411559 You should be fine getting into Qld beginning of April as restrictions and testing to enter that state are finally being relaxed. It’s been mayhem over Christmas getting into Qld from NSW and Vic because of the testing requirements but at last this has been eased now. Hopefully you’ll be right to leave NZ by then as the bubble is closed at present between the two countries.

2 Likes

Thankyou for your email