Summer of housesitting in America

Hi, I’m Emily from New Zealand. Up until this year I had only housesat within NZ, but this year after NZ finally opened our borders I decided to travel overseas while working remotely for my company in NZ. I went first to Australia in June, and then spent July through September in the USA (escaping NZ winter for a beautiful summer!). Not only did I get to visit some incredible parts of the USA that I didn’t even know existed (e.g. the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho!) but best of all, I got to enrich my time there by sitting for some gorgeous and dear pets. I thought I would share some photos of the lovely cats and dogs I got to look after :heart: The only downside is that I got way too attached to all of them and it’s so hard to say goodbye!

16 Likes

Hi @Emily2509

Welcome to the forum, what beautiful pets you’ve been so lucky to sit so far! great photos too, thank you for sharing. Yes, the downside to being a sitter is having to say goodbye, I always get so emotional when having to leave the pets i’ve built a bond with. Will you be heading back to NZ now? or adventuring off to someplace new?

Kelly

2 Likes

cute!! welcome!

2 Likes

Welcome Emily and what beautiful pictures of the various cats and dogs you’ve looked after.
I’m from the UK and am starting sit no. 50 today, which will be my last sit before travelling to Christchurch, NZ. I travelled and housesat around the North Island before the pandemic, completing 8 sits there and was about to start my first Oz sit when I felt it prudent to fly back to the UK otherwise I’d have been locked in. So I’m excited about returning to resume my previous plans!
Where are you atm?

4 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous animals and so wonderful in every regard.

1 Like

Thanks Kelly, I’m back home in NZ and will be taking some local sits over Christmas/New Year, and next winter I’m hoping to do the same as this year but with Europe and the UK :blush:

@Smiley that was definitely a smart move getting out before lockdown! You would’ve been a Kiwi by now :wink: so great that you’re coming back though and to the South Island which is for sure the best island. I’m in Christchurch now which is my home base when I’m not sitting, so if you need any local advice feel free to message me!

1 Like

Well I’d have been an Aussie as might have been stuck in Brisbane, where I flew from.
I’ll certainly message you if I need, and maybe we could meet up if you’re there over Christmas/new year as I’ll be sitting in Rangiora

3 Likes

That sounds like a wonderful plan! My husband and I honeymooned in NZ for a month and we’re dying to go back…Maybe if we found the right long term sit now that things are back open. Please come back and share with us some photos of your local sits (you’re really good at getting some sweet photos of your petsit.)

1 Like

Amazing, sweet photos! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Beautiful pics of lovely fur-babies, thx for sharing!
It looks like you’ve been very fortunate (as have I/we) to have had many wonderful sits with precious little fluffy monsters :smiley:.
I hope that the trend continues for you and the little beasties who are lucky to be cared for by such an, obviously, adoring sitter :heartbeat:
What a wonderful community this is!

1 Like

You are such a gifted photographer! I’m sure the pet owners love seeing great photos of their cats and dogs looking happy during your stay.

1 Like

Those gorgeous charges must have been wonderful to sit for, you were very lucky. Such lovely photos too.
Alas, we Brits have been priced out of any trip to USA for the foreseeable future :slightly_frowning_face:. There’s always room for hope though :grin:

1 Like