"Lassie" - The Rough Collie In Danger

""I’ve spent my life surrounded by rough collies who have enjoyed long, healthy lives and I can confirm their friendly, happy temperament, but each year their popularity is decreasing
Carole Smedley, Rough Collie Breed Council “Of course, no breed will suit everyone, but for the right owner, who can provide the right space and environment, they have so much love to give and they adore children."

The rough collie faces an uncertain future following a steep decline in the breed’s popularity to record their lowest numbers in more than 75 years.

The dog breed is now close to being classed as “at risk” by The Kennel Club, which monitors breeds with declining numbers in the UK.

Lassie often comes to mind when people think of the rough collie thanks to the novel that began in the 1940s followed by the films, television series, radio programmes, animation and comic books.

Have you been owned by one of these amazing dogs … or have you been fortunate enough to have cared for one on a sit?

6 Likes

I’ve never owned or sat for one, but the Collie at the end of our street when I was a toddler is one of my first memories. So beautiful.

2 Likes

A former co-worker at a lodge i worked at near Yosemite has one. She’s still a puppy so to speak and wonderful. Also, a family has one in a San Francisco neighborhood that is my base when I’m not sitting.

2 Likes

Now that I’ve read this it really made me think about the last time I saw a Collie. It’s been years! I had several family members when I was a kid that had Collies but they are all long gone. They were all such wonderful family dogs I do hope more will consider them.

2 Likes

Growing up, 1 lived across the street. Kilts (as I recall her name) was beautiful but I don’t think she was very smart.

We have always owned Rough Collies and are about to start a sit here in Australia tomorrow for two! Whilst we have been on our travels, we have met Rough collies and Shelties, even chasing after an owner to ask to pet their dogs. We joined the Western Aus RC and Sheltie Facebook page and have made many friends. Love the breed and once we stop sitting, will 100% get a rescue Rough Collie. we miss Sam and his mum Cassie so much. Ours are the last three photos.

6 Likes

@Daisy999 what gorgeous photos, while we (collectively animal lovers) love all dogs many of us have a certain breed which can own our heart just that little bit more, for me it’s Springers, thank you for sharing these lovely images and your love for the adorable Rough Collie.

3 Likes

@Daisy999 Gorgeous photos, thank you so much for sharing :dog::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

A good friend in the San Francisco area has a Rough Collie. It’s beautiful and smart as a whip.

@Daisy999 we used to have 2 shelties, and we’ve been known to stop and ask to pet shelties when we come across them, too. They’re such amazing creatures.

1 Like

Some we have sat for, the three together we followed down the street :heart:

4 Likes

According to The Kennel Club, the UK’s largest organization devoted to dog health, some breeds “of British and Irish origin are at risk of disappearing from our parks and streets, simply because people don’t know they exist or because they aren’t considered fashionable.”

The list is quite long. Here’s where you can find it:

1 Like

I wonder if the price to purchase is a factor.

This is Hayden, the dream dog, from my last sit. It was impossible not to fall in love with him! :heart_eyes: :hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart_decoration: (posing next to my cooler :))

4 Likes

A beautiful photo @mars Hayden is a real cutie :dog::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

@Angela_L I too had a collie as a young child. It was a male and we named him “Laddie”. He was our beautiful farm dog. My very first dog as a matter of fact!

Thanks for publishing this as it brought back such wonderful childhood memories.

3 Likes

I too had a collie as a young child. It was a female. It’s always important to remember that each breed has unique characteristics and personalities, and while some may not be suitable for everyone, they can be the perfect fit for the right owner and living environment. It’s essential to consider adoption and responsible breeding practices to help maintain the health and welfare of all dog breeds.

1 Like

Rough Collies are one of the major breeds for development of Shetland Sheepdogs (Shelties). Piece of trivia: When the breed was looking for entrance to the UKC under the name of Miniature Collie, Collie breeders had a fit. This was NOT a collie and they were having any of it. Thus the name was changed to Shetland Sheepdog.
I had a friend who got a purebred Rough Collie from a shelter years ago. She was a great dog, sweet and fun.

Our last sit in Australia before heading home, (England) these two boys are just wonderful.

5 Likes

@Daisy999 They are so adorable! :dog::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
… thank you for sharing :slightly_smiling_face:

They’re gawjus!

2 Likes