Long sit - off and on stay

Hi sitters! We have been loving having THS sitters stay at out house outside Hamburg with “the boys” (dog and cat)…(in fact we are on our way home from dropping off an amazing couple-that we now consider friends-at the airport that just enjoyed 2 weeks at our place). We have four more trips this year (including a 2.5 weeks sit in Spain-so we understand both sides of the exchange) and already have a sitter lined up for June. However! This is my question for you all. We have trips in October, November and December planned and are wondering how sitters feel about booking multiple sits at one place and “coming and going” (like, use our place as a base and travel elsewhere when we are home) OR staying at a sit where the owners are st home sometimes. Basically, we need someone from early October to early January but will be home 3.5 weeks and 3 weeks in between our trips. We always have our sitters come a day early and stay until a day after we return so we end up spending time in the house together anyway (so no 3rd party in the house, just us). I’m indecisive about how to post theses sits so before I do I want to get some opinions as to what sitters prefer and what is reasonable. TIA for your input!

1 Like

Hi @FrauSheri we would consider an arrangement like this. I’m not sure how to advertise this, sorry. But if you need the same arrangement anytime between March-August 2025, we would be very interested. We have family in another German city where we would vacate to when you return, or we’d go an explore nearby cities, even housesitting inbetween. Highly unlikely that we’d want to stay in the house when you are there, we like our privacy too much.

3 Likes

Simple. Post all your dates. If a Sitter you know and like applies for all of them, Confirm them!

If you have had wonderful experiences with a Sitter…why would you choose another unknown first timer?

I am in my 5th year house sitting. I always go back to the best house, most comfortable, least work pets for my repeat House Sits when available. After I Confirm these for the year, I search for new places to fill out my schedule ~6-8 mths in advance.

It is comforting to have a familiar sit to go back to. Especially for winter sits here in Canada. Good luck.

1 Like

We go back to our home town around once per month, as we go back to pick up post and visit family. So the coming and going thing would work fine for us, but each sitter is different.

Personally I would just simply post all of your dates, and if the same sitter is interested in returning multiple times then they will apply for each set of dates that suit them.

If you find a sitter you love who is interested in returning regularly, AND you do this type of coming and going on a regular basis, then I would chat to them and see if you can work out dates that suit you both. We have quite a number of regular pet owners that ask us when we are available, rather than them organising a trip and then finding out we aren’t available. That way they know they get someone who knows their pets.

1 Like

All sitters and hosts differ. Some sitters lean toward repeat sits generally. Some might want them if they have family or friends nearby. Some might not lean toward repeats.

You won’t know till you’re in mutual contact. Like even if someone applies for all of your dates, they might be able to do only one or some, depending on your discussions. Also maybe depending on how quickly you act, because sitters often apply for multiple sits at the same time. And the good ones tend to get snapped up.

1 Like

Thanks! I favorited you profile and if that turns out to be the case I will contact you. Nothing planned for 2025 yet but we may be in Spain often as we are moving there at the end of next year. Cheers!

1 Like

I personally wouldn’t apply to repeat sits if I hadn’t done them before. I would be nervous to commit to going back before knowing what the situation entails.

But that’s me, I’m sure that other sitters would love an opportunity such as the one described.

5 Likes

We also wouldn’t be keen to apply for repeat sits from the off @FrauSheri as it’s always risky but as others have said, some sitters won’t mind. Try it & see! #gottabeinittowinit :wink:

1 Like

@FrauSheri I think your best bet would be to list the sits and explain what you did here. It is the kind of sit we’d like (as long as our Schengen time allowed) as it would allow free time to explore but still be a long sit commitment. I’m sure you’ll find someone who would jump at the opportunity.
Dan and Nan

2 Likes

I’ve several times ‘come and gone’ to sits at the same house in a location (and sit set up) I like.

I either find another local-ish sit in between and/or book an AirBnB or similar for the time I’m not needed. I quite like having the break it gives me.

You could just put in the advertisement something like: "we’d be keen to hear from sitters who would like to commit to more than one (or all) of the sit dates shown so we have continuity of care for our pets’.

I personally wouldn’t be interested in staying in a home with HO for longer than a night or two. I’m sure others would but I like my own space and schedule.

2 Likes