New emojis ... a wider choice now available

@Liz Unfortunately if that’s the case then it will be a matter of waiting until Discourse update their software so it does work with Firefox. We don’t have any control over this I’m afraid this is an add-on piece of software. I’ll have a look over the weekend on the Discourse forum to see if anyone else has reported this. I don’t use FIrefox anymore so can’t test it here :slight_smile:

1 Like

not a problem Vanessa, just wondered if I was missing something or if it was the browser :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, Vanessa, I’ve been trying to use the additional emojis, and also watching how much they are or are not being used. I get a sense that they’re not as popular as I had expected. I think in part it’s maybe because, once you use anything other than the heart, they move to the far left (or at least on my laptop). I don’t find them as noticeable there. However, I will keep trying to use then. :heart:

The new emojis don’t appear to be operating correctly. If someone has used an emoji other than the heart, and I either want to use that same emoji or another of the new choices, it will not let me. It will only allow me to use the heart. And sometimes it won’t even allow me to add a heart, so I just give up and leave nothing.

Interesting. I haven’t tried any test of that kind. I’m going to tag @Vanessa_A, just in case she’s not aware of that. Thanks for sharing.

I just tested it on Vanessa’s October 22 entry here. There was a :clap: already. I was able to select a different one (I chose :+1: and although it allowed me to click the main heart, it logged it as another :clap:. Weird. @Vanessa_A

@Snowbird @mars I will take a look at it Monday in more depth when working again and get back to you. Just looked at mine quickly and I can select any emoji on phone and not had any problems, might be a browser incompatibility. But if it’s not working for some maybe we will just switch this new option off.

@Vanessa_A ,Are you able to select any emoji if someone has already put a heart or other emoji there? I have had a problem doing it on my phone. I can’t speak for the website. I have also received a message that I have not waited long enough between selections, where it kind of freezes me out.

Is it me? I don’t see the point of this wider choice

1 Like

@Mars I’ve just added a “heart” to @Itchyfeet comment. Can you see a laughing face and a heart? I’m on my computer at moment not the phone. Re the freezing out… The Discourse software sets limits to how often, how fast, how many times you post/respond/react to attempt to filter out spam like activity. It also limits depending on what trust level you are at. These are all fairly standard precautionary settings in public forums.

@Itchyfeet There was a post requesting more choice, and others have messaged asking about the possibility because they felt a heart wasn’t always the applicable reaction. Anyone used to using Facebook is used to having a selection, although Twitter and Instagram only have hearts - so it seems the world of emojis are divided in thought on this. When Discourse released this update it seemed sensible to try it out.

Maybe now we need a poll vote to see if we keep it or not.

Hi @Itchyfeet as @Vanessa_A has indicated additional emojis were added in response to member’s requests and from an admin POV when responding to member’s comments/posts the heart is not always an appropriate response but acknowledging a member’s contribution is important.

Having a wider choice allows comments to be acknowledged more fittingly and by more of the community who may view the heart as being unsuitable.

1 Like

@Angela_L the :heart: on my reply to you was a little ironic. I meant to send a :clap: but on my iPhone it immediately added the :heart: which didn’t seem as appropriate :thinking: :roll_eyes: :rofl: I usually read these on my laptop, where it does give me all the options. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That made me :rofl: :heart: :wave: :ok_hand: :pray:

Hi @Vanessa_A , @Itchyfeet had three emojis, two laughing faces and one heart. I just added clapping hands on the phone app but it doesn’t show. It only increased the number from 3 to 4. I tried it on the website and it does work correctly. It added my clapping hands. This seems to be another difference between the app and the website.

1 Like

@mars @Itchyfeet
Interesting… This software is not part of TrustedHousesitter’s website or app… it’s a separate 3rd party “plug-in” piece of software created by a company called Discourse. If there’s a problem in their app version it will likely get fixed on one of their own updates, but we have no control over this unfortunately. They supply this forum software to many large companies who want to integrate forums into their business models.

With so many different smart phones, operating systems, browsers, etc., it’s a continual challenge to keep software working across all the different devices and software these days. On my own Wordpress website I use several plugins and they are regularly updated … sometimes 2 or 3 times a month, or more, to apply fixes.

I’ve just added the “celebration” emoji to Angela’s post from my phone and that’s appeared… which leads me to think my suspicions are correct. You might hopefully find it works when your phone next updates. Sorry I can’t provide any other solution at the moment. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

I have seen lots of posts that have shocked face emojis and some laughs etc, which I would like to do too. But I can’t add them. I am on a laptop.

Can we only add emojis on the mobile app?

I also have a separate login on the forum to the website, so have not been able to log in the forum on the app.

Thanks

Hi @BillyBonnieBenji I’ve moved your post to this thread and will tag @Vanessa_A as she is the queen of Discourse emojis she will help you out when she is back online Meanwhile do take a look through this conversation for more updates on smiley faces and the like.

1 Like

Thanks Angela. I now have access to Heart, Laugh, Thumbs up and Applause. I will need to use the Shocked emoji at some point going from some of the stories on here(!) So I look forward to being awarded that one! :joy:

Hi @BillyBonnieBenji … glad you found your emojis!! These are the only 4 now available… they are the most used, and the least misunderstood as responses. We’ll try our best not to shock you so you won’t miss that one :joy: In seriousness, we felt a shocked reaction was better expressed and explained in words. All the best, Vanessa

1 Like

Thank you Vanessa

Yes that makes sense

1 Like