New sitter homepage

Thank you @Amparo
If a member recommends the website, and the friend goes on, creates a partial account, has a look around and then logs off, and say a day later, they log back into their partial account, the RAF promo code would not work as it is valid for new memberships only, not partial accounts. However, membership services can always help you in these instances, so do always email when this happens.
@LTD I will email you from membership services to help you so please do look out for this email.
Best wishes
Therese

Maybe I can help explain what she meant.

Are you going to the main page via a bookmark or favourite?

If so, you may have saved/created that bookmark directly from the Find a Sit page, rather than the main page.

For example, I could go to this link (THS main page) and create bookmark (favourite it) and I would always land on that page if I click the bookmark.

OR, I could go to this link (find a sit page) and create a bookmark, and then this would be the page I land on if I click the bookmark.

And that is assuming you are like me, and are not part of the 50% test.

I think my format has reverted back to the original one?

Mine has too!!

Lots of great information, and thank you. But:
I have no idea what a URL is, what a browser is, what a bookmark is (although I do know how to ā€˜favouriteā€™ a sit).
I have learned that if I 'favorite a sit using the app on my phone, that is ā€˜good to goā€™, but clicking ā€˜favouriteā€™ using the website does NOT save the sit as a favourite.
Basically, I havenā€™t a clue what this jargon means.

This is a URL (aka a link)

https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/

A browser is a program you use you access websites on the internet. If you are reading this on a computer, you are using a browser. Common browsers are Chrome and Safari. There are others.

If youā€™re on a computer and you go to a website such as THS you either have to type in the URL (the address or link) into a space at the top of the browser, or you have it saved so you just have to click it and you go straight to the website.

In Safari or Chrome, that saved link (aka url) is called a ā€œbookmarkā€. Some other browsers call it a ā€œFavouriteā€.

This is handy info to know and have a basic understanding of if you go to a lot of different websites regularly on a computer. It works slightly differently on a device such as an iPad or a smart phone, but I wonā€™t complicate things at this point.

I can take some screenshots of some of these things if that helps?

Also, Iā€™m happy to show people how to bookmark websites using whatever browser they happen to have so accessing the internet isnā€™t such a hassle.

No, no screenshots please. I donā€™t know how to take screenshots.
If a URL is really a ā€˜linkā€™, then why are we calling them URLs? What is ā€˜URLā€™?
I donā€™t know how to ā€˜saveā€™ a URL, and I donā€™t know why I would do so.
I donā€™t know what Safari or Chrome is. I understand what Google is.
Iā€™m having a rant here against jargon. It is just unnecessary. I get it all the time when I go into my bank, for example. Grrrrrr.

Iā€™ll just mention that those terms used relate to anytime you use your computer. Theyā€™re not specific to when youā€™re on the THS website. Youā€™ve mentioned ā€˜favouriteā€™, but thatā€™s when youā€™re actually using the THS website. Now think about your computer when youā€™re using it for any everyday reason. Here are examples:

Look at the bar along the top of your screen. See the trustedhousesitters.com?

If you click on that it turns blue, and it then shows the full URL. Thatā€™s the specifics for that very page youā€™re sitting on at the time.

Iā€™ll leave others to explain more.

1 Like

When I said a URL was a link, I was trying to simplify things, but I will clarify.

A URL (Uniform Resource Locator) is what we call the full ā€œaddressā€ that is written in the box at the top of the browser.

h ttps://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/new-sitter-homepage/20645

That is what a URL looks like.

A LINK is a (usually clickable) pathway to get you to a particular URL. Sometimes links look exactly like the URL, but it is possible to set them up as a button to click or a bookmark etc.

That is what a link looks like.

For all intents and purposes, to keep things simple, I said a URL and Link were the same since for the situation we were discussing, it made sense to equate the two.

I first opened a hotmail account in about 1997 when I worked as a teacher in Kuwait. The world wide web was taking the world by storm and the rich Kuwaitis had all the gear, almost before the west did.
I have never, ever, needed a URL in all these years.

To get to Hotmail, you needed the url. Itā€™s the address or location for Hotmail.

h ttp://hotmail.com

You cannot access any website without using a URL. But often, you donā€™t have to type it, you only have to click a link to get there.

@LTD. Can I ask what you use to access athe internet such as google? Are you on a computer or laptop or a iPad or smartphone?

Sometimes my ipad, sometimes my Microsoft Surface Pro, sometimes my laptop, and sometimes my Android phone. I wouldnā€™t call my phone ā€˜smart!ā€™

Ok perfect. So when you want to go to the internet on your laptop, what program do you open first?

Iā€™m with you @anon36831737 and not really fussed that Iā€™m in the ā€œotherā€ 50%. The non cool kids were usually the really interesting kids at school :smile:

2 Likes

What do you mean by ā€˜programā€™.? honest, Iā€™m not being difficult here. I donā€™t know what you mean by ā€˜programā€™.

Ok no worries. You open your laptop and you want to go to the internet, what do you do? Do you click something? If so, what do you click?

You can reply via DM if you want.

Hi @Kelownagurl and @LTD
Would it help both of you to Direct Message each other rather than on this thread?
Then your messages wonā€™t get mixed up with other comments

1 Like

HI @Itchyfeet thank you and @Kelownagurl & @LTD this suggestion makes perfect sense although the discussion so far may also help another member having similar issues but reluctant to ask for help or advice.

Yep I suggested LTD DM me. Although like Angela said, I was initially offering some suggestions here in case others are having similar issues. But I agree. It got too long. :grinning:

1 Like