New to the Forum from Gloucester, MA, USA

Hi all,
Hoping this is where I introduce myself. My name is Doreen and I live in Gloucester, MA, USA. I joined TrustedHousitters a year and a half ago and got in two sits before Covid hit. I am excited to continue meeting new pets in new places. I have many questions as a relative newbie and am looking forward to learning more. I retired from teaching art in the public schools in 2019. I am a potter and love outdoor activities and travel (and animals, of course). Thanks for the forum.

5 Likes

Hi @Doreen and welcome! I live very close to Gloucester in England, and visited Gloucester MA some years ago. We joined just under 2 years ago I think and have managed three sits so far, with another staring tomorrow. I’ve learned a lot from this forum.

1 Like

A big welcome to the community forum Doreen from us all at Team Trusted, and yes you are in the right place :slight_smile: Very pleased to hear that you got a few sits under your belt last year… that will defintitely help you once you begin travelling again. We look forward to following your journey here on the forum and hope you enjoy learning from and meeting other like-minds here as your travel adventures and pet loving moments unfold. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful weekend!

2 Likes

Hi Debbie, I visited Gloucester, England in September 2019. Hope you enjoyed your trip to my Gloucester as much as I enjoyed yours!!

2 Likes

Thanks Vanessa, excited to tap into this great Forum resource!!

2 Likes

Welcome Doreen :wave:

1 Like

My first question is about sitting with a partner. My boyfriend and I have been together for twenty years. We live together but are not married. We are wondering what to do about him coming with me on future sits. Is it frowned upon if he is not a member? I think we will probably just sign him up as well to put house/pet owners at ease having his profile verified. Any of you have any experience or input on this? Thanks so much!!

1 Like

Hello Doreen,
I think he doesn’t need to be member, except if he wants house sit in solo. You can put in your profile that you travel with your friend, In your profile details you choose :
Who will be house and pet sitting?
I’m a solo sitter
Or
I’ll be sitting with a partner, friend or family member

I am a solo sitter, but sometimes I ask to the owner if I can come with a friend.

4 Likes

Hi Doreen, @Flora is right, you only need one membership and one profile if you are sitting and applying together. My partner and I are in same situation, unmarried long term couple and we advertise ourselves as such… a house sitting couple :slight_smile:

If you need any help with your profile just let us know and we can point you in direction of some helpful articles from the TrustedHousesitters blog.

Have fun getting started!

3 Likes

Hi Doreen, I sit with my husband and 2 children. As others have said, you can include your partner in your profile. My husband and kids are on mine!

3 Likes

No problem at all to include your partner! I sit solo sometimes and bring my partner along sometimes. As long as you let the homeowner know your plans it’s all good. Happy sitting!

2 Likes

thanks Flora, that’s helpful info

1 Like

Hi Vanessa, Thanks for your response. O would love it if you can point me in the direction of the helpful articles you mentioned. Already loving this forum!

2 Likes

Hi Lindsay, Thanks for your response. I will heed your advice and make sure the times my partner will be with me I let the owners know this will be the case. Much appreciated

2 Likes

Hi @Doreen welcome to the forum, we are so happy you joined. You’ve already some wonderful responses and as Vanessa says there are great articles on the [website blog](. Sitters | TrustedHousesitters.com) Including Top Tips …

Our members do give the best help and advice , they are living the lifestyle and even the most experienced of us started from exactly the same place you are in right now. I sit full time with my husband and have been enjoying this amazing lifestyle for 14 years … every sit is different and a new experience, for us it’s all about the pets …and there have been many!! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes_cat: :dog:

It took us 6 weeks and many applications before we were successful, and what a brilliant feeling that was, a three month sit, including Christmas and NY, with an adorable Springer in West Sussex, England, we were living on Vancouver Island, Canada. It was SO amazing.

Ask any questions and our great Membership Services Team are available with help and advice throughout your membership.

Thank you for joining and welcome again!

1 Like

Thank you Angela. I am currently in a deep dive into the Forum, the magazine put out by Ian and Vanessa, and reading anything offered like the top tips you just sent. All extremely helpful So happy to have found the forum. This will be a great help. I love reading the stories. My first sit was in the Cotswolds after about two weeks of applying. It was a terrific sit. Can’t wait to get back out there. I have some summer local pet sits but come the fall I will try again…Thanks again for your wisdom and welcome!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Doreen. There’s so much useful information being shared on it plus what can be found on the THS website. Enjoy your sits, with or without your partner.

3 Likes

It’s wonderful to see the forum working for you and to see you enjoying using it :grinning:Angela has posted some links to the blog for you now too so have fun exploring the wealth of information there. Happy Sunday :star::paw_prints:

2 Likes

Thank you Doreen and apologies I thought you were a “Newbie, Newbie” what a wonderful way to start your housesitting adventure with a sit in the Cotswolds, always such a popular destination with sitters, walking with dog through such lovely countryside and stopping for a pub lunch, memories of wonderful stays we’ve enjoyed … we found this on one walk with Larkin
. :dog: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hi Doreen,

Welcome, Ive been using Trusted Housesitters since my dog was 5 and she is now 14. I have had only wonderful experiences with meeting new people and I have no problem with someone bringing a partner. I am moving from VA to NJ and have even had many repeat sitters. Hope to meet you one day. Have fun traveling and meeting new pets and their owners.

4 Likes