No more dog sits for me

I think it would take a lot to deter you from this wonderful lifestyle! :wink::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I think you’re wise to be cautious. My mother-in-law had a dog on a lead jerk her off her feet and she cracker her hip. The rest of her life she had issues as a result. Unfortunately our adult son has a massive dog: incredibly muscular and never trained to heel. As a result? I won’t walk him, my 6’3" husband was jerked off his feet by the dog, and now he is also very reluctant. Too many people think dogs are their children and spoil them as though they were children. Dogs want and need boundries and while it’s important to give affection, it’s equally important to give guidance. I think it’s irresponsible for dog owners to neglect training. We all need to look for the “red flags” for dogs that likely will be difficult.

3 Likes

Triple clap emoji

Tom, i ,haven’t been on TH more than 9 months so I don’ t know about all your past experience. I can tell from the comments from others that you are an animal lover with lots to give. i also think it is great for you to not give up on your pet sitting. It’s like the old saying… when a door closes a window of opportunity will open. You already have a cat sit so that’s wonderful!! Take care of yourself, and enjoy new travels. Teresa Akaba
It’s like

2 Likes

I have a similar problem and here’s what I figured out to do, I only pet sit small dogs who are happy to run into the backyard (all day long). I’m like their doorman. :slight_smile:

W.

3 Likes

Yes, I have a 14 year old dog that doesn’t need to be walked and just craves a human to keep him company and feed . So , I would be more than happy to have a sitter to do just that . Good luck :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello @Thompson737 and a very warm welcome to the Community Forum and it’s lovely to see you joining in with this thread :wave:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

For reference as a member, you can also add your TrustedHousesitters profile on to your Forum profile by following the attached link, should you wish. This will then enable others to offer you helpful advice and feedback.

If you are unsure how to do this, or if you have any questions at all, do not hesitate to ask, we are all more than happy to help.

Also, remember you can use the spyglass symbol at the top of the page next to the TrustedHousesitters logo and search for any questions that you may have as they have most likely already been answered on here and of course if not then please just ask! :blush:

1 Like

Ahh sorry to hear your news Tom. Chin up though, lots of top cats etc out there just waiting for you.
all the best
take care
F.

3 Likes

I appreciate this. I am 76 and also realizing my dysfunctionality for walking much. Old injuries and whiplash the reason. So maybe cat sits are my future too.

2 Likes

YES! Leash manners are imperative, and I’m always surprised at how many people think it’s normal for the dog to be taking them for a walk. My own dog doesn’t need a leash and will stay right by my side so I admit that I have little patience with a dog that tries to pull my arm off. That’s a definite “think I’ll look somewhere else, thanks.”

Tom, I live in a semi-rural area and I know a lot of people who don’t require dog walking because they have fenced yards or large acreage. I’m sure you’ll find them if you list it in your profile. Good luck!

@rosawoodsii

I know a lot of people who don’t require dog walking because they have fenced yards or large acreage. I’m sure you’ll find them if you list it in your profile. Good luck!

I hadn’t thought about that approach. I have been able to find lots of cats only sits but I will miss dogs. Will try adding that to my profile.
tom

3 Likes