Organizing meetups - chat thread

Hi Colin

We did a couple of sits in Brighton during Gay Pride. The weather was glorious and it was an amazing spectacle.
Looking forward to catching up with you in May

2 Likes

@Kelownagurl we are of a similar age to you both, and recently decided to pack up everything and try this lifestyle for the time being. As much as we adore our grandkids (we didn’t happen to live near them Chicago/Boston), now that we are fully retired, it just feels like the right time. We all know that tomorrow is never a guarantee, so heading overseas to recapture our youth, while cruising and petsitting. This is an amazing lifestyle, however folks choose to approach it :blush:

3 Likes

Well done!

You should come to Australia @Colin, it’s awesome

3 Likes

Australia is definitely on our list !

Thanks @anon1411559 - There is a real shortage of sitters in the UK at the moment so lots of opportunities to apply for. :grinning:

1 Like

Wow @Colin it must be like a full-time job to search, research, apply and secure all those sits and fit them all together.
What a wonderful way to explore different parts of the country/world, meet new people and make connections with animals.

Hi @Colin , great organisation. Just interested where I’m heading to England next month. Have requirements eased over there so that if either or both of you got covid you could still do the sits as booked? Thanks.

@AllyMac - We have just completed our first year as full time sitters and are loving the experience. My husband has been working remotely from our sits and, as I am retired I have been doing all the searching and applying. We have done mainly the UK and we were lucky enough to be accepted for a month in Spain last December.
However, My husband has just been given the green light to take a year career break so we are hoping to cast our nets further afield for 2023. I’ve already applied for sits in Australia and the USA . No luck yet but we are really enjoying the applying process :joy:

4 Likes

I can answer that @temba, there are now no legal requirements to self isolate or wear masks.

2 Likes

Hi @temba - In theory almost all restrictions have now been lifted in the UK. However, there is still the Covid risk. We would be breaking no laws by still sitting if one of us became positive but don’t think the home host would be too happy so if that situation arose before a sit we would probably split up -one book into an Airbnb.

2 Likes

@Colin there are heaps of longer term house sits in Oz and NZ right now with borders open and so many wanting to visit family in the UK and Europe. Although THS has some sits, check out Aussie Housesitters and Kiwi Housesitters as they have a much larger presence in this part of the world. Happy planning!

2 Likes

Fabulous @Colin! Very well done!
This is truly a remarkable way of living once you figure out the nuances of your needs and how to identify those sits that fit.

1 Like

@Colin That sounds amazing! So your 2023 will be even more of an adventure! What an incredible way of life.

2 Likes

Thanks @Colin and @Smiley for your clarification. I’m thinking we would do the same as you, should one of us test positive.

1 Like

I sit on my own and would obviously tell the owners if I tested positive. I don’t see the problem sitting if I have Covid as long as I don’t put the owners at risk

1 Like

I’m taking into consideration self isolation on arrival in Canada as have 4 flights & then a few owners to meet/think about.

In our house, both of us do rat tests before work & happy to do prior to any sit.

Just want to check that self-isolation on arrival is your choice, not mandatory.

1 Like

I’m doing it by choice as not flying all the way to Canada then the US, catch Covid & waste more time recovering quickly in the hopes it won’t affect my one shot at the NY Marathon :roll_eyes:.

3 Likes

Oooh, NY Marathon - great!!

1 Like