Organizing meetups - chat thread

@Freebird, I am a full-time solo traveler. As of today, I have spent exactly 2300 days on the road.

A week or two prior to arriving at the new destination I join various expat facebook groups. They are not only the best (imho) source of information but also means of interacting with other people at the location.

You can also join various local interest meetup groups at meetup.com. I find facebook better and more effective though.

I also check the embassy´s and business council´s homepages. Typically they list all the upcoming events at the location. You may want to join some.

In addition, I search for expat social clubs at the location. They organize tons of activities which you are welcome to join once or twice without being a member.

Another way of meeting people … go to a bar during happy hour :wink:

3 Likes

Just wondering how you find the ex pat social groups on Facebook?

Do a search by country and use key words like expats
There are a lot of them and interesting

1 Like

Since we usually sit in the UK, I join the local village FB group if there is one and I “like” the local pub FB page as well. Then I look for the parish council and other sites to find local activities.

2 Likes

@Smiley, say you like to find expat groups in Malaga, Spain
on your FB wall, in a search box (top left corner) enter “expats Malaga” . All groups containing these two keywords will be listed on the right

A great way of meeting other expats when travelling is Internations. Most cities around the world have a branch with lots of social activities.

1 Like

My first sit was in San Francisco, but I always think of my next sit, in Lisbon, as my first. 1. Because it was longer and 2. Because the HO went out of her way to introduce me to people she knew (before she left and after she’d gone!) and to make sure I had every opportunity to engage with locals and fun events.
We remain friends and have met up again in Lisbon. She was supposed to do a big US trip exactly two years ago…

1 Like