Parking Filter?

Parking in cities or anywhere-is there a box for HOs to check where or what kind of parking is offered other than to mention it in the profile or the sitter asking every time? EX: Chicago has free parking on the street, paid parking on the street, parking in the HO driveway, parking in their garage, paid parking garages etc. All cities are like this yet I do not see that option in the HO listing and most don’t mention it. I understand we should ask and communicate but it would be helpful when considering sits.

15 Likes

another vote for including parking info.

4 Likes

Hi @Libby2019 and thank you for your question and suggestion. There is currently a filter for whether a car is included, but not specifically around parking. But it’s a good idea so I’ve moved this into the feedback and ideas category so the team see this for consideration when they are next looking at updates to search filters.

7 Likes

I would love this!
I rarely see parking mentioned by HOs, even when “sitter will need a car” is marked.

I’m looking at sits in cities where I’ve lived, and I know for a fact that it is common to have to park on the street up to a half mile from home… and yet it’s not mentioned.

Obviously, if I apply, I ask. But it sure would be quicker if it were mentioned in the profile.

If they live somewhere like Manhattan and they don’t mention either parking or nearby public transport or both, I usually don’t bother applying. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

This would be so helpful!

1 Like

Yep, this would be super helpful!! Think that it would be great to have this included in listings!!

:orangutan: :orangutan: :orangutan:

@Nomad7 @Fluffball Don’t forget to get the VOTE button at the top of the post if it’s something you agree with … makes it stand out to the team :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Vote button? Didn’t know about it. Is it something other than the emoji’s? Where can I find it?

1 Like

At the top of this thread @mars under the topic title :point_up_2:

Thank you @Angela_L !
I voted (above) and it tells me I only have 7 votes left. Does this mean votes are limited to 8 per member?

That might be a limit set by Discourse. I will check that over weekend and let you know. I’m pretty sure it will by time based :slight_smile:

I believe as your trust levels increase (a setting within Discourse) so do your available votes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any updates from the admins on where this sits with the possibility for the addition to the site for HOs to disclose?

Hi @Libby2019 the product team give updates on feedback and ideas around functionality & user experience and as the forum is such a valuable resource for the development team I’m sure @Ben-ProductManager will be happy to comment when he is back online.

1 Like

@mars and @Vanessa_A as a newbie to this forum, what is the vote filter? Obviously we are limited in our votes (I noticed this when I voted in favor of the parking filter). What are its benefits and limitations?

Thanks!

I think a parking info sharing would be great–it is something that is commonly mentioned (and I think somewhat required) on airbnb but I hadn’t added it to our listing.

I also think the car requirement filter would benefit from an update. As I mentioned on another thread here, a car is useful to many but not a requirement. People can take a taxi or rideshare to get to our house, we have a grocery store half a mile away (theoretically walking distance), but many people find that distance prohibitive for a variety of reasons.

I would also vote (limited voting so why not mention it here) that having the location options to be only city/beach/mountains/country to be pretty darn uninclusive. What about suburban? urban? abundance of/limited public transportation? pedestrian/cyclist friendly?

Just thoughts on a cold Friday night. Thanks, @Libby2019, for starting the thread.

4 Likes

Hello @ThreeLittleBirds and good to see you discovering the various options in the forum. The VOTE option allows others to vote for suggestions in the Member Feedback category so that the product team can quickly see the popularity of a suggestion. As the forum grows I think this will become more meaningful.

In terms of number of votes, this is a trust level restriction. New members to the forum are moved up “levels” as they read, comment and participate more, and along with that their number of votes are increased. This is a standard setting within the Discourse platform (which is what we use) to help against spam in public forums. Hope that explains, but if you’ve still got questions don’t hesitate to ask. Have a lovely weekend, Vanessa

3 Likes

It does answer my questions. Thanks, Vanessa! I hpe you have a lovely weekend as well :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, I think this would be helpful!! I almost applied to a City Sit, but when the HO posted that they can not offer parking, and I’d have to pay for parking in a nearby public lot… I decided against applying for the sit due to added cost and lack of security for my car.