Pet Safety Matters .... It's getting hot in here šŸŽµšŸŽ¶

:notes::musical_note:ā€¦ so pick up all the dogs!:musical_note::notes:

Think about the poochesā€™ paws when taking them for a walk (or even to the car) when the sun is blazing. Asphalt temperatures can be more than 50ā°F warmer than the air temperature.

(And for heavenā€™s sake NEVER leave any animals in a car!)

Four Paws International has a simple test you can do to make sure the ground is safe for your four-legged friend: Touch the back of your hand to the ground for seven seconds. If you canā€™t hold it there for seven seconds, itā€™s too hot for your dogā€™s paws.

3 Likes

Hi @MissChef this is a very important point and thank you for highlighting. I have attached a thread which includes an article relating to this. :dog:

2 Likes

Some dogs are willing to wear shoes, FWIW. That can work in various circumstances, including heat, snow, rough terrain.

1 Like

@MissChef and also everyone should remember if they are walking dogs on sand. Sand can be extremely hot as well. We were at the beach a couple of weeks ago and even with sandals on, my feet were burning from the sand that was kicking up from walking. Imagine that heat on a pups paw!!!

And the first 15 minutes of them wearing shoes is the most hilarious. 15 minutes of your entire week!

Yes, theyā€™re befuddled. We tried first by putting one shoe on, so our dog could experience the difference between shoe and no shoe.

Another thing to watch out for: Composite decking like Trex (made out of recycled materials or otherwise) heats up a lot, so it can hurt pets as well in really hot weather. Likewise with some outdoor rugs that are made out of such materials, depending on how much direct sunlight they get.

If Iā€™m not familiar with a surface, or donā€™t know how hot it is, I always touch with my hand or bare foot before I let my dog onto it. Like in hot places, we make sure our dog canā€™t jump out of our car or RV before we check.

This is a very good point @Debbie-L

Iā€™ve looked after little Ozzy twice. He wears little shoes on his front paws, not during the heat but because they help his arthritis. If his owners, or I, go for a longer walk than his little old legs can cope with, he travels in a back pack (quite heavyā€¦.)

10 Likes

Oh @Smiley Ozzy is so adorable! :dog::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

He is, and heā€™s quite a character too. I hope Iā€™ll be able to sit for him again but heā€™s 14 so who knows. His owners are very sporty (rock climbing is their big love) and they spend 2-3 months in Spain in their camper & Ozzy goes with them. Heā€™s much loved by all.

3 Likes

Yes hopefully, fingers crossed that you do @Smiley :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If youā€™re doing international sits in countries with a hot climate, itā€™s good to discuss this with the PP to avoid unnecessary worrying.

F.ex. the tiled parts of our front yard get very hot, too hot according the 7 seconds test. But our dog loves lying in the sun (not for very long though). Also the concrete roads can get super hot, but she chooses to walk on it, not on the grass next to the road. She also doesnā€™t mind -20Ā°C and snow (with warm overalls), so sheā€™s not a very sensitive individual anyway.

So yes, itā€™s always best to be careful and also have a discussion with the PP to know whatā€™s best for their dog.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this important reminder about the safety of our furry friends! When itā€™s hot outside, the asphalt can become extremely hot and cause discomfort or even burns to a dogā€™s paws. Itā€™s crucial to be mindful of the ground temperature when taking them for a walk or to the car.

Never leave animals in a hot car as temperatures can rise quickly and lead to life-threatening conditions. To check if the ground is safe for your dog, use the ā€œseven-second testā€ by touching the back of your hand to the ground. If you canā€™t hold it there for seven seconds, itā€™s too hot for your dogā€™s paws. Always prioritize your petā€™s well-being and take necessary precautions during hot weather.

Edited to remove links in accordance with the forum tā€™s & cā€™s

1 Like