Portugal!

I am trying to travel there to explore June. Please give ideas after you visit.

1 Like

Absolutely. I’m going late March into April. I have sits in the UK but looking at going back in May and possibly July to explore as much as possible.

If I have nothing to do in July, I can join you.

1 Like

I have never been, but that is on my list rather it is for a house sit or not… Are you using an AirBnB??

1 Like

Hi @Amparo

I could blah blah blah all day so why don’t we try and meet up there one day

Wouldn’t that be great :blush::kissing_heart:

Photo of West coast ( really struggling to upload photos on my smartphone)

3 Likes

I’m sure you’ve already searched but here’s a link to another post on Portugal and do remember our lovely @Therese-Moderator is currently living there. I’m sure she will be able to give you some great advice (when the busy holiday period is over :slight_smile: )

Popping this link here anyway in case others stumble across this thread.
Have a lovely day researching!!

1 Like

If you have any questions … please let me know and if I can, I would be happy to guide you.
I’m in Cascais, which is a seaside town outside Lisbon. Warm regards Therese

4 Likes

THAT would be amazing and as someone who can attest to the magic of anything is possible, I look forward to it.
Thank you.

1 Like

Permission to guide me granted! Thank you @Therese-Moderator I was hoping you would chime in here.
Still working out some details and submerged in my own research as I do my best to be independent but you know sometimes you get by “with a little help from my friends”
Obrigada. I will be in touch.

3 Likes

Have I said today how much I enjoy this forum?
Thank you so much.

2 Likes

I am open to whatever presents itself and so far nothing is the only thing I know at this moment. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Portugal is amazing. I haven’t been in a long time but am looking forward to spending the last week of January in Lisbon on my way home from Spain - assuming the trip goes ahead, who knows these days!

1 Like

Hi Therese, Is Cascais a walking city? I’m interested in getting to Portugal but not too keen on driving. I am a foot person. Slow traveling and absorbing the sights. So far I found Porto as walkable, and probably Lisbon. Can you give me other advice? I don’t want to spend a lot of time on figuring how to get around without a car. Thanks.

1 Like

That is a definite requirement for me and from what I have read it is walkable with a good bus system but nothing better than hearing from the locals!
Good question

Hello @evag008 and @Amparo
We have been lucky to go dog-sitting in Portugal 3 times.
Twice in Cascais ; Once in Colares, close to Sintra.
We absolutely loved it.

Both these cities are walkable and got buses and trams. BUT I must say we really appreciated having our own car (we drove from France - 2 days trip) because we were taking care of dogs and it was much better to drive them in wild beaches or forests to let them run freely : beaches are not allowed to dogs during day time in Cascais and Colares (only from nov to mars I should think ? We were once in december and it was allowed). And I found it very difficult to keep my energic labrador on the streets or urban park on the lead while beaches were closed (Of course as a good French naughty citizen I pretended not to understand the rules and went to the beach after 9-AM but beach-guard came straight away to ask us to leave…).

I also add that even though we were really closed to Lisbon by train, we’ve never been. It was too long to leave our dogs alone. But we didn’t regret as we are more “wild” people than “town” people. We enjoyed the wild and free part of Portugal : beaches, countryside, small villages, mountain (yes Sintra is a proper mountain), and forests.

Enjoy @Amparo, I’m sure you will fall in love with Portugal.

May I just advise you not to forgot good walking boots ! My husband ended in hospital after falling over cobblestone on the street ! As a european citizen he was cured and had surgery for free. Most of the medical people were speaking very good english and even very good french. He had a very good surgery, same level as in french hospital. What an adventure…

3 Likes

All this talk about Portugal has got me very intrigued. I went to Lisbon about 40 years ago and would love to discover more of Portugal. Some of the places mentioned here sound intriguing. Thanks for starting the conversation Amparo and will look forward to hearing how your trip goes

2 Likes

What a delightful share of your experience. Portugal has been on my radar for some time now but never moved forward to actually making it happen till now. I have been researching it for a good while now and have even started learning some Portuguese, one because my HOs here are both fluent and it’s nice to actually engage them at that level.
I am so grateful for the wonderful input here from everyone.
So very excited for the great things that lie ahead.

2 Likes

We :heart: Portugal. We visited in the fall of 2019 and fell in love with the country, people, climate and food. The two cities we visited Lisbon and Portugal have excellent public transportation, which makes them easy to explore without a car.

The Calouste Gulbenkian Museum in Lisbon is a must see. It is free on Sundays after 2pm and the Gardens are always free.

From foods we loved the nata pastries and Francesinha sandwiches.

3 Likes

Absolutely amazing! Museums are always on my agenda.
Thank so very much.

1 Like

Portugal is country that I’ve never had the opportunity or pleasure of visiting although I’ve been “taken” there by friends, living vicariously through their experiences and stories of the people, culture, history, architecture, amazing food and of course the wine and now, thanks to our forum community one of my 2022 travel goals is, yes … Portugal!!

It promises to exceed all of my expectations … thank you!! :clap: :sunglasses:

2 Likes