Portugal!

If you love walking there is a trail along the Atlantic called the Rota Vicentina Fisherman’s Trail. Starts south of Lisbon all the way to Sagres. Read the blog www.cravetheplanet.com as she writes about her journey here, very interesting.

2 Likes

Thank you! That sounds lovely. I may be there sooner rather than later and if not, I will get there.
I have some wonderful notes thanks to these gems here.
Obrigada

If you love walking there is a trail along the Atlantic called the Rota Vicentina Fisherman’s Trail. Starts south of Lisbon all the way to Sagres. Read the blog www.cravetheplanet.com as she writes about her journey here, very interesting.

2 Likes

It’s a lovely walk.

So exciting - Portugal is absolutely top of my list once I get moving - April I hope. I’d be very interested in the details of your Airbnb. Not sure if you can person to person message on this platform but maybe others would be too!

1 Like

I’m so excited about getting to go back to Portugal this spring (end of April/beginning of May). We have our airline tickets booked and two back to back walking trips, one in the Douro wine area and the other in the Peneda park. Now working on getting house/pet sitter and have several applicants. Things are looking good. For those folks asking about food in Portugal, my favorite has been Gooseneck Barnacles. Ugly but so delicious and I think only available in the southern part of the country.

4 Likes

Thank you for the link @LynKinn it is very interesting !

We are in a long term rental since we have applied for residency here. The area is near the Anjos metro station. It’s about 1 mile to the river and many tourist attractions.

1 Like

Hi. Five years ago we visited Portugal and loved it! From the USA we flew into Lisbon and toured the city then took the train to Sintra, the fanciful town built by wealthy Lisbonites for summer homes. Then train back to Lisbon and long-distance bus to Nazaré, a coastal town with great seafood (grilled sardines and gooseneck barnacles). Nazaré is also known for internationally-famous conditions for surfing. Even during normal conditions the waves are huge. Then long-distance bus to Coimbra the college town where groups of students loudly serenade the tourist hotels between 10 pm and 2:00 am, and bus again to Porto where we seriously considered moving. We always walked or used public transportation. Lisbon, Sintra, and Coimbra are on the tourist route but are well worth visiting. Nazaré is not as well known but it has unique charms. There are two height levels to the town, with a funicular railway between them and there are fantastic views of the ocean and surfers from the top. The people are welcoming and the food and wine are great and inexpensive. We want to go again, if just for the sardines.

5 Likes

Wonderful :heart:
Thank you!

Sounds Great! How long have you been there, and are you finding the rent reasonable? I have been researching but find it all overwhelming especially with the unknowns of travel these days. I was planning on getting to Portugal in the Spring or possibly wait until Fall because of all the restrictions, testing, requirements. Thanks for any tips about different areas you visit.

1 Like

Make sure to add Sintra to your itinerary. It’s an easy train ride from Lisbon and soooooo worth it. I just spent a week in Lisbon, one day in Sintra (which I wish had been two as there is a lot to see) and now in Faro for a couple of days before heading back to Spain.

Portugal is fantastic, Lisbon may be my favourite European city. It’s more relaxed and cooler than bigger cities, people are friendly and helpful, it’s easy to get around with English and also more affordable than other cities. Incredible history and architecture everywhere you look and unbelievable food. I’ve had some of the best meals of my life in the last week. What’s not to love?!

4 Likes

We have been in Lisbon since Oct 2021. Depending where you want to live, rents are anywhere from $750 - 1500 a month for an unfurnished apartment. Lots of great neighborhoods. Utilities and food are less expensive here than in the US in most cities.

If you love castles and history then head to Sinatra and Tomar. For beaches the Algarve is tops but many on the Silver Coast are good too. Porto is very nice but really touristy in the Summer.

2 Likes

We did a fantastic road trip around Portugal last September. As @Therese mentioned, Cascais, a seaside town outside of Lisbon is very relaxed and picturesque. We stayed at the Albatroz Hotel which has a beautiful outside terrace restaurant overlooking the water and we highly recommend lunch there which you can also book as a non resident. Another lovely lunch spot we found was a restaurant called House of Wonders, it is a vegetarian restaurant and my husband is not a vegetarian but he absolutely loved the vegetarian sushi and such contrasting colours and compelling tastes.

This photo shows the outside terrace restaurant at the Albatroz Hotel

This was the mixed seafood salad at the Albatroz Hotel outside terrace restaurant, highly recommend this dish! :smiley:

Another fab food find in Cascais was The Tasting Room, (as pictured above), they have sublime tapas and a stunning collection of Portuguese wine.

We also highly recommend visiting Sao Bento train station in Porto, (as pictured below), which has stunning Portuguese tiles on the walls which depict historical life scenes.

A visit to Livraria Lello in Porto is also a definite must visit. It is one of the oldest bookstores in Porto, open since 1906 and is classified as the third best bookstore in the world. The bookstore is decorated in Art Nouveau style, with Gothic elements. The opulent interior features glass and wood and the red stairs immediately catches your attention. Rumour has it that J.K. Rowling’s inspiration to write Harry Potter began in Porto, particularly at this library. The well known writer lived in Porto for ten years and she used to drink coffee on the second floor of Lello’s bookstore. Have a look at the similarities between Lello’s bookstore staircase and the one described in Hogwarts.

Me pictured in front of the beautiful red staircase in Lello’s bookstore.

If you are in Lisbon be sure to stop by for a sundowner at Quiosque Ribeira das Naus ( pictured below) and get there early to secure yourself a fabulous deckchair to enjoy the music and stunning views across the river.

Finally you must try a Pastel de nata which are absolutely delicious Portuguese egg custard tart pastry, optionally dusted with cinnamon. Portugal’s most famous pastry is a true staple for many locals and also an object of desire for many travellers dreaming of visiting Lisbon and the rest of Portugal!
We tried the Pasteis de Belem which in 1837 began making the original Pasteis de Belem following an ancient recipe from the Mosteiro dos Jeronimos. We also tried the Pastel de nata at the Pastelaria Santo Antonio as a take away, we eat them hot and they were melt in the mouth delicious, our favourite.

The Pasteis de Belem.

5 Likes

Wow @Samox24 thank you for this Roteiro gastronômico pictórico de Portugal … it’s one country that I have never visited, it’s on the wish list, now more than ever.

Obrigada :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

THIS is fabulous @Samox24! What incredible photos and commentary. Thank you!
I will be leaving on the 10/March now and will be staying in Portugal a full month before going to my sits in England. Had to tweak a few things including changing my original booking for an apartment in Coimbra which is centrally located and super easy to take day trips into Lisbon, Cascais and Porto!

Obrigada!

4 Likes

Have a fabulous time! :smiley:

1 Like

I’m sorry I’ll be missing you — I’m spending about a month in Portugal, but leaving on Mar 4. Enjoy your time there!

1 Like

Thank you! Please share your experiences :heart:
Have fun!!!

@samox What lovely, lovely photos and they really do it justice. Many of my favourite spots.
So thrilled you had a wonderful time. @amparo - hoping we can connect when you come through to Cascais. Kind regards Therese

4 Likes