Scientific Tips For Keeping Our Human Community Cool

Scientific tips for staying cool in a heatwave

We’ve shared all important information on how to keep our pets cool but talking to our community it’s obvious many of our human members are struggling to keep cool … hopefully some of these tips will help.

But on hot, sticky nights, it becomes harder for our bodies to lose heat, meaning our ability to drift off to sleep is also affected. Hot night-time temperatures can also lead to more disrupted sleep, leaving people feeling more tired the following day.

Bed-sheets, duvets and night-time clothing such as pyjamas help to create a microclimate around our skin that maintains this optimal temperature

The ideal room temperature for sleep is reported to be between 19-21C, although some research suggests we require our skin to be at a temperature of between 31-35C. Bed-sheets, duvets and night-time clothing such as pyjamas help to create a microclimate around our skin that maintains this optimal temperature.

Why not share you own top tips? Let’s see who has the most creative … and effective!! :sunglasses: :sunny:

Stay safe and stay cool …

Angela and the Forum Team

2 Likes

It’s not creative … but it works :grin: :rofl: (Or it will do later)

A long cool shower before bedtime helps me… for a few hours :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I feel cooler just looking at it @Vanessa_A so yep it works :rofl: :sunglasses:

When you purchase sheets and pillowcases you can look for those especially described as cooling. I ordered a variety and compared their feel in the heat - there are differences. Pillowcases are particularly important for keeping cool at night.

Fans are also important. On the boat we had a kite-like device called a wind scoop that would collect even the tiniest bit of wind on deck and shoot it down into the v-berth bedroom. I don’t think this would work for a house, but in this London housesit home the temperature is currently 100 degrees and we are moving one small fan from room to room when we move. It helps.

Water. Wetting down your clothes and wearing them wet. Filling the tub with cool water and laying in it occasionally if the heat gets too high. Spraying down the patio flagstones so animals and humans can walk on it.

@Angela_L Mine is not a tip for keeping cool, but maybe more for keeping your cool, mentally, and managing to stay calm.

I live in the warmer region of Canada. Our summer temperatures can often be in the 30s Celsius for extended periods of time, but also with high humidity levels, which makes it feel far hotter. I have found that when we have extended periods of time like that, people are less patient. I see it in customer service areas, but more importantly in people’s driving habits. Impatience, and some elements of road rage, are more prevalent. Something to watch for when you are around others maybe.

We’re also under a weather heat warning right now and so I’ll be extra cautious when driving, keeping more distance from others and expecting the unexpected. :thinking:

1 Like

Have been paying attention to your weather but also the conditions close to us :open_mouth:.

Ice cubes in a hand towel & laying on the bathroom floor tiles works for me in warmer weather :sweat_smile:

For all the Aussies giggling at the temps up north & esp @Crookie :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: the latest Jimmy Rees meanwhile in Aus

A damp cloth or towel laying on me with a fan blowing on it

Drinking ice drinks.

A/C :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the laugh @TheMapleKiwi I love Jimmy Rees, his satire is so close to the truth here! But I’m definitely not laughing at the UK & Europe 40+ temps. Even we complain when it gets above 40 here and we are used to it and have homes that can deal with extreme heat. Cold showers, ice drinks, a frozen face washer on the back of your neck and ice foot baths are my suggestions to those who don’t have air conditioning. I notice today (Wednesday) the UK will be in the mid to high 20s which is pleasant weather.