Should UK sits be excluded from "Europe" search results on the web?

Hi THS Team,
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this as its system related, but wondering if UK sits could NOT be included in the Web search results for “Europe”

The UK is definitely not part of Europe any more :wink:

Thanks

3 Likes

I do wish I could make a saved search by clicking on individual countries rather than having to do a “map area” that inevitably includes the UK.

This will probably get put in the “sitter requested features” thread, but I wanted to agree with you before it was no longer a “new” topic!

1 Like

@TomandJacq - I’m not sure if you are joking or genuinely confusing Europe with the EU?

8 Likes

I would love a European search function that excludes the UK. It’s fickle to try and exclude with map-only navigation, as the most Southern tip of the UK always pops up if looking for Northern France/Belgium/Netherland sits.

5 Likes

Please do not exclude countries that are not in the EU from the Europe search. That would make things very difficult. These countries including the UK are still in Europe.

Thanks

4 Likes

The UK is most definitely a part of Europe! You’re getting confused! The UK however is no longer a member of the European Union - they’re different!

8 Likes

That’s kind of you!

2 Likes

I would love this feature. I’ve been suggesting it for a while. Now that the search options along the top of the screen include “Europe” and “United Kingdom”, it make even more sense to exclude UK from a “Europe” search.

(PS: I know the UK is in Europe!)

4 Likes

The UK is in Europe and so is Ireland :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I just came here to say exactly this! I really love the new regional search option (been wanting this for ages! Thanks THS…) but want to search Europe – as in the Continent – without the UK. I note the UK is its own search option anyway.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve tried this too and that pesky tip of the map always means I’m seeing mostly sits from south-east England. :laughing:

5 Likes

Perhaps a search option with the whole of Europe and another search option with Europe excluding the UK would be a good idea :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi, I agree. I think there should be a separate search for the UK, aside from the in or out of Europe question, the UK has many sits available which you have to wade through if you are only looking for sits in continental Europe.

1 Like

Why does this matter if you know where you are going?
:face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

The UK is geographically located in Europe. It always has been and always will be.

4 Likes

Because @Amparo there might be many reasons. For example: We have a car, and can somewhat easily drive between European countries but don’t want to take our car to the UK for various reasons. Visas are another thing -we can stay indefinitely in the Schengen zones, but have a time limit on the UK.

We can plan a whole European tour without including the UK - but if you search for Europe (maybe 100 sits), you can’t help but seeing 2,000 UK sits mixed in, that you then have to meticulously filter out until you get your map just right, which is near impossible if you want to see France and Scandinavia, for example. And do this again. And again. And we might want to see options in 10 European countries, but the UK ones keep showing up, and we can’t do a search for 10 European countries at once, so you have to do each separately.

How nice and tidy, Europe with one snapshot…or not!

Now I can see France and Benelux, but UK is there again! Unless I skip Benelux (which are 3 whole countries)

Now I don’t see UK, but also no France, Spain and Portugal, not much of Scandinavia either… it really is a pain in the behind.

5 Likes

It doesn’t matter if you know where you are going. However, if you don’t know where you are going, but know that you want to sit “somewhere in mainland Europe”, it matters a lot.

7 Likes

This feels like a good use case to bring up my favourite request again, the option to exclude locations from searches. If you think that would be helpful, please vote on the topic - although I don’t know if these votes actually count for anything or not.

I don’t know why nobody from TH has never acknowledged any of my posts about it, even when I asked a direct question. I feel like I’m shouting into a void, but hey, it would be the perfect solution to this issue. :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

Hello, @Lindsay Thank you for your suggestion and for taking the time to think of ways to improve the THS experience. There is a thread that is monitored by the product team

Please feel free to add your suggestions here.
If you have specific questions always feel free to DM me or any of the moderators and we can direct them to the correct channels, the product team try very hard to answer as much as possible but they are not always on the forum or active across all threads. You can reach out to me at any time.

1 Like

Thank you @botvot for taking the time for this very thoughtful and thorough explanation. I can see why you and others are frustrated searching in this manner.
Being a long time traveler to the UK and parts of the EU I am familiar with the visa considerations. As a sitter for many years I have yet to do a search for Europe.
I would like to make a different suggestion of what has worked for me. Search by country has been much easier without the frustration of having parts of the world that are not of interest. By focusing and narrowing the search by country it becomes easy and even fun to create a map of intended travel and available sits along the way.
I will also add that eliminates the frustration of wanting, waiting for someone, something, in this case THS to do it for us. I take control of what I want to create by working with what is available. Again that does not mean that we have to stop wanting systems to be better.
But what is better? For me, what works to accomplish the outcome.
Narrowing the search, making a good plan or repeatedly dwelling on what doesn’t work?
Of course saving the searches, favoriting the possible sits is definitely a requirement.
I do this also in my searches on Airbnb. If you search by country or even city you get a plethora of listings but you really don’t see them all till you narrow your search.
I hope that makes sense. My suggestion is to try another approach and avoid the frustrations.
I am reminded of this:
If you don’t know where your going any road will do.

Same in the US. Anyone doing a search for the USA needs to get honed in one area or state at a time or you will go nuts. It’s just too much.
That’s just my strategy.

3 Likes