Sitter Hobbies - please share

This is a good one too - ‘heardle’

I have to admit I am hopeless at it though - I have a very small late 70’s / early 80’s window of music knowledge! :rofl:

Heardle

2 Likes

We geocache everywhere we go! A good way of getting outside and finding places you otherwise wouldnt know about. We also look for orienteering comps nearby and parkrun. I ride so try and find somewhere to go for a hack. Oh and the paddleboard comes too if water nearby! Indoors I love exploring the homeowners books and ancestry is great too.

Great to see another housesitting geocacher @PetsSit ! We love it for finding new walks and interesting places. We’re looking forward to attending the 2 geocaching Mega events happening in the UK this summer - Piratemania and the UK Mega.

I forgot about parkrun too. Hubby is a Run Director for our local junior parkrun. Younger son prefers the adult parkrun, but hasn’t done many this year as it would be a bit much straight before his football matches. Next season football will be on Sundays so he can do more parkruns.

Mine isnt a hobby per se, I often work on our sits, as I own my own business from home.

I can get at least half or more for the 70’s (and 60’s) Heardle, sometimes the 80’s. Rarely the regular game with current music.

For all you jigsaw fans @Snowbird,

• what’s your favourite pics, animals, gardens, castles?
  • The most pieces you’ve ever had in a puzzle?
  • Are you a one day a piece puzzler or have to get it done NOW kind of puzzle builder?
1 Like

@Angela_L Of course I must say that the animal ones are special to me. :slightly_smiling_face: I’ve done this one (1000 pieces), and a similar one with cats. I like them as I can first piece together the writing (magnifying it by first taking a photo on my phone) and there’s some variety in colour.

I would not do this one (below) as there are too many similar eyes and not enough variety of colour for me. I need more clues. :wink:

I don’t do ones with lots of uniform colour - a bland sky, green forests, big blue pond etc. For me that’s not a challenge, that’s outright frustration. :roll_eyes:

On a sit I’ll do a 1000-piece in less than a week, especially if it’s not weather to be outdoors for me. I sometimes take a 500-piece on a sit, so I can be sure I’ll finish it. I’ll then happily leave them for the owner, if it interests them.

2 Likes

Most of ours are pics of village or country life in Europe.

2 Likes

@Snowbird @Angela_L Although I don’t attempt to do puzzles on my own, my daughter and I finished these two while on family vacation last summer on Cape Cod.

6 Likes

Joanne WOW … how long did they take?

I have another question do you sort the pieces or take one out at a time … that may sound like a very "non jigsaw "person type question but my Mother did them all of the time and the only pieces she sorted were the edges, the rest came out of the box randomly.

knitting, embroidery
ebooks
podcasts
local public library
meditation groups, usually Buddhist
farmers’ markets
live music
volunteering
community fairs / celebrations / parades
respectfully exploring cemetaries
game nights and art nights over zoom with friends
Letterpress phone app word games
exploratory walks and drives

4 Likes

All the pieces came out because we had occasional help from my 4 year old granddaughter, who loves helping with certain colors. We were sitting on the floor and building them on a very large coffee table, over the course of several days. Good rainy day activity while on vacation.

2 Likes

Hi @Angela_L.
Im very organised with my jigsaws.
I go through the whole box first putting each piece the right way round & sorting into groups.
You can imagine when i was doing one at work (work in social care) and I’d spent all morning organising a jigsaw to do & my colleague came in, got excited at doing a jigsaw, shook the box up & down & messed up the whole box to take random pieces out​:rage::joy:.
Just shows we all approach things differently!

UNO, Dobble, yoga, daily walk & phyzz workout even if no pooches to go with us, bread & yoghurt making. It feels as if we have more time in a different way than when you’re in your own home so you can enjoy life’s simple pleasures more.

I’m really sorry @Gina but the way you described her actions made me laugh but it must have been a “challenging” moment for you …

Reminds me of Felix & Oscar Now on Netflix: The Odd Couple although that is dating me somewhat.

PS I don’t really know why I laughed I am that (OCD) person who needs everything in straight lines … :rofl:

Lol @Angela_L . No i did laugh about it later​:rofl::rofl:.
Im pretty sure im quite ocd too, so i took it as a learning curve to just go with the flow…:roll_eyes::rofl:

Hobbies are studying Spanish on Duolingo or in Mexico in live classes, hiking or long walks, and Sudoko. I have tried several times to take online video Spanish classes but I find that the changing lifestyle of a nomadic housesitter, while wonderful, does not allow me to successfully plan where I’ll be at a certain time of the week and/or whether I will have good internet coverage. Another hobby is learning how to travel better. I’ve used a lot of suggestions posted to this forum for that, Thank You very much.

6 Likes

“That doesn’t fit there” … :heart_eyes_cat:

The purrfect jigsaw puzzle companion …

5 Likes