Travel Movies - Which One Inspired You?

Have you ever watched a movie that ignited or reignited your wanderlust? A movie that had you googling the location where the movie was shot before it was even over? A movie that changed your mind about somewhere far away, or close to home. A movie you lost yourself in and when it was over you felt as though you were still there?

Fact or fiction, a story or a documentary what was THE one that inspired you or might even have changed your life?

3 Likes

What a great question @Angela_L! I’ve been traveling so long I don’t have a particular movie that ignites that yearning to go (back) to a specific place…either that, or my memory has just gotten bad with advanced age! :rofl:

Either way, I’m interested in hearing what movies stir those yearnings in others.

1 Like

The Way. Erik and I watched it several times before we finally walked the Camino de Santiago.

8 Likes

It inspired but not to go there.
Maiden. In 1989, Tracy Edwards leads the first all-female crew in the Whitbread Round the World Race, a gruelling yachting competition that covers 53,000 kilometres and lasts nine months.

After seeing the footage of the yachts in the Southern Ocean I vowed never ever.

I can’t think of an actual travel film but lots of films and programs have made me look up where they were filmed. The very first Jurassic Park was one. The scenery was breathtaking.

7 Likes

I watched a few episodes of Anthony Bourdain’s show “Parts Unknown” that really inspired me!

Oh, and the documentary miniseries “Long Way Round” starring Charley Boorman and Ewan McGregor was extremely engaging and inspiring for me.
Just amazing!

6 Likes

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty holds a lot of inspiration for me. I have now added Iceland to my bucket list and we watch the movie at least once a year. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

oh boy oh boy oh boy…
I absolutely love movies and there are so many, fiction, non-fiction, documentary and I have had this lingering on in my thoughts most of the day.
First one that popped in was Somewhere Over The Rainbow with Judy Garland back in the day.
But then I realized this one triggered me when I was a wee lass :slight_smile: and they were reruns when I watched it…just saying.

Both of these inspired me to dream and peaked my curiosity of what was out there, what was possible.

4 Likes

I love watching "“Somebody Feed Phil” on Netflix. Several seasons worth now, but you can pick and choose your episode depending on the city you’d like to “visit”. A great way to visit a city and experience anything from street food to Michelin starred restaurants. And it’s funny, too!

4 Likes

Knocking on Heaven’s Door, German 1997 movie. This one is not about travel to a specific geographical destination (although it is a road trip movie), but about one’s approach to life: life should be lived, and there’s nothing to be scared of.
Like revisiting a favourite place, I re-watch it once in a while to remind myself about that, and higly recommend to others. One of my fav movies ever. IMDb have a good trailer there Knockin' on Heaven's Door (1997) - IMDb

3 Likes

As @luckycat also said, Anthony Bourdain’s series ‘Parts Unknown’ and the ‘Long Way Round/Up/Down’ documentaries with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman.

I also follow a few travellers on YouTube who inspire me to travel:- https://www.youtube.com/c/TREADtheglobe
https://www.youtube.com/c/KaraandNate
https://www.youtube.com/c/FrugalTravellers (they are also Housesitters!)
https://www.youtube.com/c/AdventuresofAplusK

3 Likes

Ian and I are big movie buffs so there are quite a few films we’ve loved, some mentioned here by others (The Way, Maiden, Wild, , but we do find many films on any topic provide us with travel inspiration.

We watched a film called The Greyman last week… an action thriller with the lovely Ryan Gosling, who was transported around several European locations, one which included a spectacular building shown as a location on an island in Croatia. I was immediately onto Google, but discovered it is not in Croatia at all, but is Chantilly Chateau north of Paris. It’s now on the travel list when we next drive back to the UK!!

Our other use of movies and travel documentaries is to supplement our knowledge when we are immersed in an area or an activity. Yesterday we went to a local airshow with flight demos by several WW2 planes, the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Lo and behold, Ian had an evening movie streamed for me … “Hurricane” about a squadron of Polish fighter pilots flying… of course… Hurricanes!

One of my personal favourites from years ago… is Eat, Pray, Love although it’s probably a bit dated now! Loved the combination of travel, love and food!!

4 Likes

I watched “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel” after returning from my first trip to India. I really enjoyed the movie after visiting there and went back once again. I also enjoyed a very old and hilarious movie called “If it’s Tuesday, this must be Belgium”. It reminded me of my very first and very hectic trip to Europe visiting about 12 countries in 18 days when I was in my 20’s.

5 Likes

@Angela_L I would have to say “Under the Tuscan Sun” sparked maybe my first real love and desire to travel to the Tuscany region. The beauty of the homes and vineyards was one of the first things I wanted to see when we traveled to Italy…maybe even started my love for wine!

5 Likes

The Holiday sparked my interest in home swapping / housesitting, for sure. And my all-time favourite is The Big Year - where they travel all over USA to see as many birds as they can in a calendar year. The movie Lion made me visit Tasmania and I fell in love and have been back many times. And yes, I agree with the comments about Tuscan Sun and Walter Mitty, and to a lesser extent Eat Pray Love.

2 Likes

I should also mention we love watching Escape to the Country and keep a list of villages we want to visit or find a housesit.

And also all of Peter Mayle’s books on Provence.

3 Likes

Enchanted April - four women rent a wisteria-draped villa in Italy.
The Deep End - a frightening movie with Tilda Swinton but one that made me want to see Lake Tahoe

3 Likes

Hot Fuzz filmed in Wells, UK. I go to that lovely village every time I am close by!

We started watching the show Still Game set near Glasgow and built a trip around it.

We just last month visited Port Issac to see where Doc Martin put up his shingle!

6 Likes

@Angela_L Thelma & Louise always inspired me to visit the Grand Canyon, so much so that I have actually lost count of the number of times I have visited there now! :sweat_smile:
It is just WOW!!

1 Like

“The Holiday” is one of my all time favorite movies - I watch it at Christmas every year!

5 Likes

Love these books.

2 Likes