Trusted Tips - How to get started as a house sitter

A helpful read for anyone who’s just joined TrustedHousesitters as a house sitter…

Recently joined TrustedHousesitters? Welcome to the pack! You’re now one step closer to opening the door to unlimited worldwide house sits, and adorable pets in locations you’ll love…

However, we know it can be tricky to know where or how to get started with your house and pet sitting journey. So, to help you on your way here’s a recap of and a few tips to get you started…

4 Likes

Thanks for posting this helpful article, @Vanessa_A!

1 Like

@Vanessa_A
Is there a similar article, or even a flow chart, that explains the step-by-step process once a HO and a sitter have agreed via a conversation or DM to a sit? If not, I think it would be very helpful to new sitters.

For example, prior to my first sit, I didn’t know that the HO would send me an invitation that I would need to accept to finalize the sit.

As I prepare for my second THS sit, I have a couple of questions:

If a HO and I have verbally agreed to a sit but I haven’t received an official invitation from them, is there a way for me to request an invitation to register the sit with THS?

Also, I read something on the forum about requesting a home book from the HO but am not quite sure how to do that. Is there a button that I need to click? Or, is it a matter of simply sending a DM to the HO?

Thanks to this forum, I’m learning a lot about the process. If, however, all of this information is consolidated in one article it would be a helpful resource.

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Mary-Kay and pleased to hear this is useful. There are lots more helpful articles on the TrustedHousesitters Blog, but I haven’t found one with your specific request. It’s a great idea and we will pass this over to Danielle, our Content Manager as a suggestion for a future blog article. She’s on holiday this week, but I’m sure she’ll be very interested to read this on her return.

Re the Welcome Guide: Once a sit is confirmed you can either view it (if already prepared) or request it from your dashboard, it not shared. Here are the instructions for doing this.

Hope that helps and hope you have a lovely 2nd sit… do tell us about it once it starts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Re your question about a sit that has been organized verbally, I’m going to tag @Katie_Mc as I’m not sure of the exact process from a HO perspective, but I’m not aware of a way to request as a sitter. Hang tight while we get the answer on this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Vanessa_A Thanks for your rapid responses about the Welcome Guide and if there’s a way, other than sending a DM, to request an official invitation for a sit which already has a verbal agreement.

I’m really looking forward to my second THS experience. It’s a sit with a cute kitten! :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi again… Katie has confirmed that there isn’t a way for the sitter to instigate this process, but that the owner can send you a private invite. Once invited:

• The owner will then need to accept your application
  • You will be notified and asked to confirm you agree to sit

So you will need to message the owner to ask them to start the procedure. This is a 3 step process to ensure that sitters and owners are both in agreement about the sit. Let us know how you get on :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Got it. It makes sense that there isn’t a way for a sitter to start the process.

2 Likes