Wales - Pystyll Rhaeadr

This post was inspired by @ElsieDownie post back in June regarding profound moments while traveling.
There are several places that I have visited that have moved me to tears for many reasons but one particular place brought me to my knees and left me breathless was Pistylll Raeadar in Wales.
My friends and HOs took me through a drive through the countryside pointing out the different landmarks and historical sites. I saw what were once work houses much like seen in the story of Oliver. We visited iron age forts and went through many roads with lush hills, sheep and ragged stones.
We pulled in to this empty parking area in the middle of nowhere by a stream we had been following along the road for quite some time. There was a soft roar and we began to walk a bit upwards and then I saw it, now loud and roaring.
I was in awe at its magnitude. The mist was cool on my face and clinging to everything around it where the rocks were covered in bright green moss. The family of three and I continued to climb and walk between the wet stones and moss. I felt as if I were in a fairy tale. A feeling not uncommon to me now and one I hope never goes away. I was filled with a tremendous sense of peace and gratitude to be on this wonderful ground. What an honor and a privilege.

On the day of our adventure, the office building and shop were closed. There were no barriers to keep us from wandering and so we wandered in pure delight.

14 Likes

Itā€™s a fantastic feeling finding somewhere that connects. I get goose pumps coming down the airplane steps when we land. Whatā€™s this place going to show me?
What a lovely piece you have written. It inspires me to go and see it for myself. I think that is one of the things about this forum that no one has touched on. We are all egging each other on, trying to help each other reach our true potential. Lifting those that fall with help and encouragement. Cheering on those that reach their goal and helping each other with jokes, comments and acknowledgment of what they have achieved. This place always make me smile.
People ask me when Iā€™m going to settle down, my answer, when I canā€™t think anymore. I must have a bit of nomad tribesman in my soul although Iā€™m Scottish through and through.

7 Likes

YES! That is where the magic lies. It is the connection, the feeling and the emotions that stir us into life. A life that is full of the wonderment of discovery about ourselves, other people, animals, places and plants. A connection with life. The joy we feel doing what we do and everything that we learn.

2 Likes

Thankyou @Amparo for sharing these beautiful photos of of the Welsh countryside. My last ā€œproperā€ home was in the Brecon Beacons and Wales is the one place I always think of as ā€œhomeā€ if anyone asks that. Itā€™s such a special place and often feels like youā€™ve stepped back in time. I found it so easy to be at one with nature there.

My profound moments have always been in the mountainsā€¦ two places that had a similar effect were the mountains of Zagoria in northern Greece where bears and wolves still roam freely, and when waking up after arriving at a ski resort in the Alps in the dark, to see the Matterhorn towering above. As you say, a privilege to behold!

3 Likes

Wales is truly Godā€™s country. It is, ahem, MY country.

3 Likes

I believe you :raised_hands:

1 Like

Do you live in Wales, LTD? What part?

Near Bridgend, South Wales.

1 Like

@LTD we are sitting in Bridgend for a week next August.

1 Like

We havenā€™t been to Wales yet but hopefully next trip. Probably North though, as I have some ancestors from Denbighshire area. I always love photos of Wales - looks beautiful.

2 Likes

I think I know which sit that is. I applied for it, but then withdrew as I will probably be travelling back from the US on the first date of the sit. If youā€™d like to meet up Iā€™d be thrilled to show you around the nearby beauty spots. It is v close to ā€˜The Heritage Coastā€™. L.

2 Likes

@LTD it would be fantastic if we were able to meet up. It would be great to have the benefit of some local knowledge, really kind of you to offer to show us the local beauty spots. And you will know all the best dog walks!

2 Likes

You might be wondering why I applied for it ā€¦ it was because my own house nearby will be having a new boiler and rads fitted and I might need somewhere to crash that week! But I think Iā€™m sorted now!

1 Like

We bought paint to redecorate the hallway landing and stairs early on in the first covid lockdown in England. Then we realised that it wasnā€™t a great idea to be painting an area we all needed to pass through multiple times a day when we were all at home all day! It still hasnā€™t been done. Iā€™d definitely consider doing a very local housesit so my husband can decorate and then shut the door on it and retreat to a house without wet paintā€¦

1 Like

Are you in Cheltenham? I did my teacher training there. I love the town . I rented a flat for the year on Suffolk Parade next to the wine bar which opened just as we moved in.

2 Likes

Yes, we live in Cheltenham. My husband was born here, Iā€™m from York originally, but have been here over 20 years.
That was good timing with the flat you rented! Suffolk Parade is a lovely part of town.

3 Likes

Thank you SO much for this lovely post @Amparo and you as well @ElsieDownie! When friends ask me ā€œwhy do you want to go take care of someoneā€™s home for freeā€ it is these moments I think of. For me it is usually walking on a beach somewhere. Hearing the sound of the waves, seeing the colors constantly changing feeds my soul. But I lived in the Lake District for awhile and this beach girl fell in love with the hills. I can still close my eyes and see the fells with the constanty changing light and colors, the clouds coming is so quickly, seeing rain swooping in. I learned I have more than one place that feeds my soul and makes my heart sing with joy.
These magical moments and having lovely furbabies to love on is a continuous source of pure joy. Yesterday I was throwing balls for two large bouncy lovely dogs, today I have a 2 lb ball of fluff puppy curled up on my lap. Add the new and lovely view and my soul is happy.

3 Likes

Well Thank YOU @peach. I am so very happy to share my joy. It does feel ever so magical and I really have no desire to do anything else. This is the most fulfilling ā€œworkā€ I have ever done. I have learned so much in every facet, pets to wild life, nature, culture, art, literature, foodā€¦
Things that I can say I have experienced not just read about or seen on a screen.
It is very soul nourishing and my soul loves to eat!
These are playmates going on 6 weeks and 6 to go.

This one wants to be an interior designer

3 Likes

Fantastic, Amparo! Thanks for sharing. Weā€™re currently considering a sit in Wales. Your post could not have been more timely!

3 Likes

Beautiful place!
Amazing.
If I am from Uruguay, can to be a housitter, take care houses and pets.
I dont know how need to do for that!
For reach my goal!
I am graduated, I LOVE kids and pets, I am independent, and a very good persona. Hardworker.

I would apreciate so much if some of you, dears Friends can help me or give me tips, advices about what need to do for working abroad.

Thank you so much!

BEST regards,

Rossana from Uruguay