Has anywhere you have visited moved you to tears?

It’s a rainy day here in England and I have been reading our blog and reminiscing about all the places we have been.
I’d like to share one of our most profound moments when sailing.
We were sailing up the east coast of US, from Chesapeake Bay to New York, not a long arduous journey but one we had never done before. Very early morning I was on watch and I started to see a faint glow on the horizon. As the hours passed it got brighter and brighter - the lights of NYC. I had never been to this city before and I was quite excited about the fact we were going to sail into NYC as so many before had done. My watch came to an end and I went down to sleep.
Next morning we were closer and could pick out the giant skyscrapers. We sailed under the Verrannzzo Bridge and there she was, Lady Liberty herself. I burst out crying. (Tears are welling now just thinking about that moment). As we sailed closer and closer realisation dawned. How many hopeful immigrants saw her as their saviour?How many others had come this way with their dreams in their hearts? She was a sign of hope.
We sailed right up to Ellis Island, dropped the sails and were lucky enough to be able to anchor behind the great lady herself. A very emotional evening and night. A once in a lifetime experience and even though we have done that journey many times since I have never felt that emotion again.
Of course we had to have breakfast accompanied by Breakfast in America by Supertramp. New York was never my dream destination but from that day I fell in love with the city, the people, the culture, the art, the theatres, everything about it.
Visiting what place in the world has made you cry and why?
Elsie

9 Likes

I visited a preschool in Watamu on the East coast of Kenya back in 2013, there were 52 kids aged 2-6 crammed in a hut with 1 teacher and a hole in the ground covered by corrugated iron hut for a WC. No shoes and a bowl of ugali (maize flour porridge) for lunch.

We had taken them a few supplies and the teacher got them to sing the wheels on the bus for us and it made me recall my own kids singing the song and realise how privileged my life has been.

I left to go home a few days later with a new sense of guilt that has not left me, I returned to the same school the following year and took more supplies with the intention of returning again but then the Nairobi bombing at Westgate prevented another return, I ended up spending 12 weeks in Madagascar where things are considerably worse in many ways.

There was also another school where I assisted a local doctor with the treatment of Jigger flea infections to the kids feet using Neem oil based medication. The kids were incredibly brave as their feet were literally falling apart with infection.

I still have every intention to return but other things have prevented it…

Even typing this out has made me well up :sleepy:

10 Likes

Yes, Ground Zero is a very poignant reminder of what happened. I couldn’t face the museum. The monument and atmosphere was enough.

2 Likes

My girlfriend and I started to travel for her 50th birthday and our 20th anniversary and we chose French Polynesia as our first destination with a cruise on the Paul Gauguin. The airport in Tahiti is located near the port and when we were preparing to land late at night we got a great view of the ship fully lighted in the port; I don’t know why but that sight brought tears to my eyes. After a few days on the deck of the ship at sea we got to experience a sunset with Bora Bora as a backdrop (the island on the right in the picture). Magical!

However even though French Polynesia is indeed paradise the most beautiful place we’ve seen so far is Milford Sound in the South Island of New-Zealand.

6 Likes

One of my must see places.

Lake Louise, Alberta :canada:… The first time I was there was in 1972 I was on vacation, three months before I emigrated to Canada.

That day was the first snowfall of winter I stood on the shore and the beauty took my breath away I have to say there were very few tourists too which was a definite plus … Standing on the the Top of Blackcomb at Whistler has a similar effect.

7 Likes

I can’t wait to see this. I’ve heard about the breathtaking Lake Louise but never seen it ….yet

2 Likes

I ventured to The ‘mission Mt Somers’ trail event in Staveley (1hr inland from Timaru) & oh my the views :sunglasses::+1: on my way to the first hut/water station made my day. No photos but the link gives an idea .

Pinnacles Hut

As it’s in our region, we’re heading back for sure & will post more pics. I feel happy here in South Canterbury region as I have mountains, the ocean and farms around me & similar to back in :canada:.

3 Likes

HI @TheMapleKiwi I adored New Zealand the best horse ride I ever had was a 3 hour Lord Of The Rings ride on the South Island out of Queenstown my lasting impression and memory is that New Zealand is a mini Canada … :canada:

We had the pleasure of going there about seven years ago. We met a young couple on the train who we befriended and when we arrived at the top he proposed to her and we had the pleasure of riding down on the train with them and celebrating their engagement with a few of the local pisco sour drinks - a great memory!

1 Like

Am not a LOTR fan nor keen on Queenstown but can say heaps of areas in NZ remind me of Canada.

If you ever get back this way, do check out The Catlans & Southland (from Invercargill-Tutapere-Manapouri) as people ignore the areas but are 100% worth the time.

Am doing The Luxmore Grunt trail event in Jan & will post some pics :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

We went to India about ten years ago - we toured the Rajasthan area on a tour and then travelled to Kerala on our own. Absolutely loved the country - the scenery, people and the food made a memorable vacation - a country I definitely want to return to. What brought me to tears was the poverty which I prepared myself for but a particular sight brought me to tears and still to this day haunts me. We were in Delhi and the bus stopped where I saw a huge billboard advertising the latest Iphone. Underneath the sign was a woman with three children under the age of about seven with no clothing on. The woman was stirring something in a big pot on the sidewalk which I suspected was their dinner. It just broke my heart and brought me to tears. I still well up thinking about that memory

3 Likes

Hi @Globetrotter I can identify with your comment so well I lived in Bombay (Mumbai) for 6 years and traveled throughout India … a country of extremes, I was moved on a daily basis.

2 Likes

wow okay, where do I read your stories? Aside from what’s on THS. You must have some incredible adventures and life lessons. Explains a lot though.

2 Likes

Thank you @Amparo I began traveling when I was in my early 20’s before traveling was a thing … the town I lived in was the catalyst for moving.

Emigrated to Canada, alone with a 13 month old son (no internet:)) worked and traveled from coast to coast and and throughout the States. Many years as an expat in challenging countries and environments … one day, when I get the time, I may just write a book, although I doubt too many will believe some of it :wink:

14 years ago lost my beloved Springer Holly … she lead me to this life I now have, living pet and housesitting, five years without a home base.

i’m part of this very special community. I really do have the best job in the world. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I was thinking today about places I need to return to & the Vimy Ridge memorial plus Beaumont-Hamel are high on the list as my 2019 visit was too short/rushed.

It will be a great sit down should we ever have the opportunity.

Write, as much as you can. Even if it is never published, it is something I too am working to incorporate into my daily routine now. It does move one to tears to visit that one wonderful place within and reflect back at all the wonderful life we have lived. I feel it catapults you to even greater things ahead.

I for one am glad that you are here, in the right place at the right time.

:heart_eyes_cat:

2 Likes