Website search showing local sits only

Hello everyone :wave:

Thanks for raising the above concerns and the issue on the saved search.

We have made a change, where when you land on the find a sit page, we show the UK sits first followed by international sits, for UK members only. This is a trial to encourage UK sitters to apply to ā€˜localā€™ sits.

However, the issue raised on impacting Saved Search is a bug :beetle: so thank you for raising it and we are currently investigating it.

Many Thanks,
Ben

1 Like

Hi @Ben-ProductManager
If I want to go abroad, only being shown UK sits is not going to change my mind.
Itā€™s irritating enough that we have lost the twice daily email of all sits giving us inspiration on where to go, without this too

7 Likes

Hi this is totally unacceptable. Ive been sitting for 7yesrs now mostly abroad. Its been a bad enough situation for the last 2yearsā€¦having to stay in our own country without you trying to encourage us to continue to do so. Im now missing advertised sits because of this situation. NOT HAPPY !!! NOT GETTING WHAT I NORMALLY GET FOR MY SUBSCRIPTION FEE.

1 Like

Thanks Ben for clarifying the situation. Unfortunately this trial is making the system unusable for UK sitters. I searched for cats anywhere, using the website, and the non-UK sits only started appearing on page 35. If I try to do the same search on the App, the search list freezes after 100 sits are shown so I never see any non-UK sits. Many of these UK sits are old. I am now having to resort to searching by country for overseas sits and therefore missing loads.

3 Likes

Hi All :wave:

Just to make you all aware this is a test and will conclude soon.

To elaborate on what we are testing; in this instance, if you land on the ā€˜find a sitā€™ page you currently see the order as UK sits. What we wanted to see was by landing on this page are members more likely to apply to UK Sits and browse more local sits.

The majority of members navigate away from this page and make a search, so we are wanting to make it more relevant to the user and this could be done in a lot of ways.

Apologies that this has been frustrating for some of you. When/if we rollout the functionality we will make sure you can still make a global search as you currently do.

For those in the UK have a good Jubilee weekend and have fun spotting Corgis. :dog:
Thanks, Ben

2 Likes

@Ben-ProductManager A search for Walthamstow (in London) and cats-only is throwing up all 108 London sits. Iā€™ve exited and re-entered another way but still no joy.

Ok, thanks for raising this will take a look into this.

1 Like

I posted elsewhere yesterday about a search for a specific town, Walthamstow, showing all London sits, which since there are over 100 are too many to scroll through. Today Iā€™m searching for Guildford in Surrey and also being shown all London sits. Apparently my post was merged or moved to here, and Iā€™m confused. Iā€™m doing this search via my saved-search for London, if that helps. @Ben-ProductManager @Angela_L

1 Like

But the beauty of using the map and scrolling in to that specific town, it show six. Guildford is showing 37.

Hi @Lauraa Ben has responded to you

Ben-ProductManager

(Website search showing local sits only - #30 by Ben-ProductManager)

Ok, thanks for raising this will take a look into this

Hi @Lauraa the search includes the area + 20km radius and this has not changed. This is to encourage a broader search area.

Thanks for raising this, so to confirm your suggestion is to have control over radius as a filter or a sort by distance?

Thanks,
Ben

1 Like

But that means no neighbourhoods within London can be specified, because all London is going to fit in the 20 km. The search engine allows one to choose boroughs and areas, such as Walthamstow or Waltham Forest.
And Guildford is a big separate town and surely much farther from even the southwest edge of London than 20 km. Even from Richmond Iā€™m told 28 miles/45 km. If I search for Guildford I donā€™t mind being shown towns and villages near it, but not all London. It makes the search useless. Some kind of limitation should be possible. @Ben-ProductManager

1 Like

Using that technique assumes I already know exactly where the place Iā€™m searching is and involves zooming and scrolling to find exact smaller places. Thatā€™s not the case for Guildford, so I did it and the number I see on the map is 3, not 37. 37 is impossible!

The majority of members navigate away from this page and make a search, so we are wanting to make it more relevant to the user and this could be done in a lot of waysā€¦When/if we rollout the functionality we will make sure you can still make a global search as you currently do.

I hope what you conclude from this is the sitters want to be able to search for their sits. We are not blindly clicking buttons that you put in front of us. Along those lines, it would be very helpful to search with more variety. For example, searching all Europe vs. country by country, searching sits that donā€™t require a car, etc. Also, being able to filter out locations would help. For example, searching anything except the UK and US. Thank you for your work.