What homeowner's ways and food choices have you adopted?

It’s inevitable that, as a sitter, curiosity has me compare what I have in my home in the way of kitchen gadgets and cooking supplies with that of the homeowners. I love to learn from them, and use some of the methods, tools, and foods. I have adopted some things I’ve learned from being in other people’s kitchens. Here are some examples, although I’m sure I have many more:

• Le Creuset cast iron cookware - a French oven that never leaves my stovetop as it’s so beautiful.

• A mini Instant Pot, once I learned how simple it is to make ‘Cold Start’ yogurt. I now use it for so many other things that I’d never considered.

• Simple maybe, but a brush for washing dishes - I’d only ever used a cloth, but it often comes in useful.

• My latest - balsamic drizzle (not vinegar) that is oh so delicious.

There are also various housekeeping ‘tricks’ that I’ve adopted, but I’ll stay with food as we all seem to love that topic. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I fell in love with AGA’s, such that during Lockdown I purchased and Oil and Gas one… (My Husband just shook his head…)
I enjoying using gadgets that I have not used before, even the White goods, there are some Washing Machines that have all the gear… and Oven’s too…
x

5 Likes

It is a great way of carrying out research. I have bought a new dishwasher and washing machine based on all of the ones that I have used over the years.

6 Likes

Hi @Manda , you’d love sitting for us, we have two gas fired Agas, a 2 oven down in the snug and a four oven in the kitchen :grin: I love them so much, they are never turned off!

4 Likes

Hi @Foldor13 invite @Manda of course but TWO AGAS … and pets, I’m there!! Plus you never turn them off which is even better.

Pets, people, places and (P)Agas :))

:rofl:Keep your eyes peeled I will be posting dates for send of May 2022 after Christmas :wink:

1 Like

My husband bought a “milk frother” after using one during a house-sit !

5 Likes

:rofl:I couldn’t do without mine

2 Likes

I bought an instant pot after using one at a sit. A little foolish as we have no home base but I keep it in storage and bring it with us if we are sitting in our home country. I do love kitchen gadgets!

3 Likes

Me too! Great for cleaning dog bowls (a separate one to the one used for dishes :rofl:)

3 Likes

I too, have fallen for an Aga! Do you know that they come in mini, slimline sizes!!!

1 Like

Such a good point @Itchyfeet! Having lived in so many different homes and styles, we really get an idea of what we like, what’s comfortable, what wears well and what works well.

Like foam mattresses… you just can’t go wrong. :slightly_smiling_face:

Stainless steel appliances, unless you have the upgraded finish, they are so hard to keep clean (and get spotless for when the homeowner(s) return home).

And electric pressure cookers (aka Instant Pot) are a must have. We get excited every time we spot one on a home tour during a new sit. :wink:

3 Likes

I bought an induction range this winter. I had been planning to get a gas range for ages but I used both gas and induction on so many housesits that I realized how much more I like Induction.

3 Likes

Great topic! While on our first official sit for TH last week, I teased my husband that sitting could get expensive because we keep discovering items that we like. Suddenly, I really “need” a Dyson Animal Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, even though we don’t have any pets, and a Karcher steam mop.
After various cat sits for a friend in Paris, I purchased a filter for our shower (great if you live in an area with hard water), a Joseph Joseph Chop2Pot bamboo folding chopping board and a Beija floor mat.

3 Likes

Oh I get what you mean about the Dyson. I used to think they were overpriced until my most recent sit where I had a hairy dog and a Dyson. The Dyson is well worth its high-end cost.

6 Likes

Our best discovery was two dishwashers side by side, one for the clean stuff, one for the dirty. A magnet stuck to the front of the door was moved across to the one that needed loading. Clever. Cuts down on the need for cupboards full of crockery.

6 Likes

It’s definitely worth the price! I have two and would buy them again any time.

2 Likes

Part of my morning ritual.

I haven’t gotten one, but it sure did make me think about coffee with a keurig. Also got to test out a kitchen aide mixer which I’m still contemplating. In general I love looking how everyone decorates their homes. Some are just so artistic. It gives me inspiration to decorate

4 Likes

Hello @christyjayk and welcome to the forum - we hope you enjoy exploring the friendly, and super informative discussions that happen here among our members! I’m with you on appreciation of decor … we love seeing the pictures and paintings which often send us on a voyage of discovery on the internet!

2 Likes