What is your most wanted 'missing amenity' at a sit?

Been thinking about things that are ‘missing’ at a sit and I have pretty simple requests -
a bedside table with a reading lamp that I can turn on and off from the bed.
related - an easy to get to electrical outlet near that bedside table - ideal would be a power strip on the table so I can charge my phone/tablet overnight and use them for an alarm clock (if the animals don’t do that). I also have sleep apnea so need plug in my CPAP machine. (Lots of older homes have the outlet centered behind the bed.)
and finally, I don’t unpack my bag unless it is a week or longer sit, so one of those folding stands to open a bag on in the bedroom would be great.
Other sitters have other suggestions?
tom

12 Likes

I would agree with your simple wish of a bedside lamp @toml

However I am always surprised at the number of homes that don’t have mirrors in the bedroom, not just from my sitting experiences, but generally.

I like to believe that I graduated “The science of adaptability” with honors however for me it would be a mirror … not full length or hand held, just a plain “old” wall mirror.

1 Like

Thank you. I needed a good belly laugh.
Suma CumLaude Sister?

3 Likes

A good old fashioned coffee pot, french press or even a coffee sock instead of these overpriced new fangled express-your cash machines.
I will usually purchase one, or any other item I feel I must have then leave it or donate it at a local thrift shop.

7 Likes

Hi @toml Your mention of a folding stand made me smile. I have been on a sit where one was in my bedroom and I so appreciated it as I tend to live out of my luggage. I recently saw a house sit listed on THS where the bedroom had two of those stands, in a bay window, with nothing around them, so lots of space. It’s the only thing I remember in any of the photos of that listing. :rofl:

@Angela_L, you and I are examples of how a homeowner can never please everyone. I dislike walking by any mirror, and it’s nothing to do with vanity. They just spook me. I have a full length mirror in my home but it’s behind a door that’s always kept open. The rare time I need it, I pull it out. I do have a bathroom mirror. I have done a sit where there wasn’t a bathroom mirror and that seemed strange to me. Maybe they were also spooked by mirrors. :thinking:

7 Likes

I must be very adaptable because I can’t think of anything. Maybe sharp knives but I get round that by carrying a knife sharpener with me. I suppose good WiFi is an essential for me.

5 Likes

Great points, @toml . I would also definitely appreciate a folding luggage rack and easy-to-reach outlets by the bed. I love dimmers. A bedside lamp would be great, especially if it had a rheostat, so if I get up to go to the bathroom during the night I am not blinded by a bright light. My HO here left me a flashlight on the night stand (very nice). Also one of those plug-in night lights w/a photocell in the bathroom. I would like good window coverings in the bedroom so I don’t have to wear a sleep mask and empty surfaces in the bathroom to set my toiletries and personal care items. Knick knacks are pretty but I end up moving them so I have space. I also like hooks and towel racks in the bathroom and especially window coverings. I am surprised by the number of homes that have nothing, not even frosted glass, covering their bathroom windows. And I love those newfangled coffee/espresso makers. I would be happy to have any coffee maker, but am not enthused about a French press. I would like to have regular ground coffee available, not just flavored or decaf. At this home I used a Moka espresso pot and had a wonderful cup of coffee.

1 Like

Funny I sat for my brother last week - he used to use TH for sitters, now calls me. I sat for 3 weeks for him in Aug-Sep and was very happy with his old fashioned electric drip pot and the big can of Cafe Bustelo.
But it broke and now he has a nespresso but the only pods are for expresso size coffee and I want a full cup. I could have gone out and bought some big pods, but it was only a 3 night sit.
I do travel with Sbux instant and at home I use a pour over filterless drip.

Bustelo is my addiction of choice. 🕵️‍♂️

1 Like

Ha ha once again prime example of personal preferences and Choices.
I love glass bathrooms that make me feel like I’m outdoors but I actually prefer outdoor showers and yep even toilets.

Wait is that Bali calling :phone:

3 Likes

Me too, we get 6 or 7 jars of the instant at a time. But I really love real brewed coffee when I’m at a sit.

1 Like

@toml all of your topics here, except the rack, but as we have a small room only for clothes right next to the bedroom there’s no need for it. Just live out of the dressing room.
@Angela_L as there’s no closet in the bedroom there is no mirror, but there are 4 in the dressing room.
@Amparo @mars all options here from capsule espresso to regular filter coffee maker.
Seems like all of you can do a house sit together :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

@Snowbird …I just don’t want to “scare” the pets having just got up :rofl:

A sharp knife and a good range of spices and herbs for cooking (I take my own). Space for my clothes if I’m there a week or longer. An electrical plug by the bed (I take very long cable for my phone).

3 Likes

This sit I’m on now has every type of coffee contraption and more than one of each! In addition to coffee in bulk quantities :confetti_ball:
I still purchased my own as it is a very long sit and don’t like using up people’s “supply”, it’s a long winter.
It’s been great. I have not suffered from any lack of brew.

3 Likes

Just some space in the wardrobe / for storage. Sometimes we just have to spread our things on the floor, unfortunately (which is not great for somebody like me who loves it tidy and organized).

3 Likes

Wottonuurrff is a ‘coffee sock’?!

Yes!!! Hate those Nespresso-type things. They’re so expensive! The problem is that the coffee from them is usually pretty good, which means I drink more of it, which means it costs me more… never ending circle :smiley:

5 Likes

It’s a trap I tell you! :laughing:

1 Like

A primitive but wonderful way to brew!

2 Likes