When do I panic? Re. Sitter not responding

Hello! I have a sitter arriving for a month-long trip in 12 days. We had a Zoom interview a month ago, which went well, and we confirmed the sit. Four days ago, I messaged her on THS with some questions about her needs while she’s here (re. closet space, car, etc). When I didn’t hear back after 2 days, I sent a text message to her cell. Still nothing. Since it’s a long weekend, I’m hoping she’s just out of cell service or something…but with 12 days until our international flight, I’m getting very nervous! The THS message still shows as unread. What should I do?? Obviously I don’t want to prematurely cancel a month-long sit for someone who is planning on it. But if I’m being ghosted, I need to make arrangements asap! I appreciate any guidance <3

3 Likes

We cannot know what is happening on the other side.

I applied for a sit. They asked for a video chat and I sent them my number within 10 minutes. And now five days later my reply is still unread. I find that difficult to understand.

But at least, for me that is not a pressing problem. It was for a sit in September, and there is no real problem for me if they would not choose me. I can understand that you are getting anxious for your pet(s).

1 Like

Can you call her?

1 Like

I would wait maybe 1-2 more days and then call or text saying you are concerned at not hearing back and want to confim things are still on. If nothing after 24 more hours, then I would panic…

1 Like

Yes, I’m planning to call tomorrow, in case she’s out of town for the weekend. I did text her on Saturday and haven’t received a response.

2 Likes

You confirmed the sit but did she accept? If not then she probably isn’t going to sit for you….If she did then you’ve got good advice here, and after you’ve tried to call her (if no response) then I suggest you ask THS to try. Good luck! You might have to relist….

1 Like

@Smiley Oh yes, she accepted a month ago! Thanks for you thoughts. I’ll call her tomorrow morning and go from there. I’m lucky to live in a popular place, so fingers crossed I can find someone last-minute if I have to relist!

1 Like

With just 12 days left, call her now.

1 Like

Can I offer a perspective from the opposing side?

I had this exact situation once but with the HO trying to contact me 12 hours before the start of the sit and then the hour leading up to the start of the sit. For some reason my phone didn’t download the messages from the message server and I didn’t receive them. Sometimes technology is rubbish. I felt so awful when the messages finally downloaded as I was sending my ‘on my way!’ message. I felt so crushed and embarrassed, even though it wasn’t really mine or anyone’s fault. HO was (rightfully) freaked out and worried they were going to miss their flight - massive learning curve for me. In your sitter’s mind, they could be totally blissfully unaware travelling around with no cell service, because they know that they are totally committed to the sit, and might not be expecting a message from you at this exact time.

Obviously if a few more days go by and no response…maybe contact THS. But likely the house sitter is just travelling and not in an area with service, and they will feel the same shame I did when they see your messages!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

The same happened to me. I messaged last Wednesday with availability times for a Zoom call this week and the message remained unread up to yesterday. Then today I got accepted for the sit without the video call although we will still have one. The HO said she was not receiving notifications that messages were waiting to be read so maybe there is a wider problem assuming people have opted to receive notifications? I can’t remember if it is optional or not.

2 Likes

Hi artgirl, I have had this problem where messages sent have not been received for quite some time, over a day late in some cases. I also have not always received notifications of messages. It can also be easy to miss messages, if several come through at once, as the inbox does not have new unread messages in bold as your normal email address would. I find it is always best to obtain several methods of communication when sits are confirmed. But even with my usual email address I have had messages come through much later than when sent at times. Directly making a phone call could be best, as well as being able to phone through something like WhatsApp or Viber etc.

1 Like

Hi @jesshiggins27 you can ask THS membership services for help. They may be able to contact your sitter for you.

UPDATE: I heard from her this morning, WHEW! She had indeed been out of the country with no cell service. What a relief. Thank you for all your guidance and perspectives!

7 Likes

Hi @jesshiggins27 thank you for the update and that’s great news! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ok, great to hear all is well. We will close this topic now.