Which food is bad for dogs?

I’ve just come across a recipe for dog biscuits based on peanut butter and I
I wonder how some dogs would react to that.
It also set me wondering what foods to keep away from dogs ( I know some of you will answer never to give anything not prescribed by the owner but I’m thinking about those forays in the dustbins or on walks)
I know about chocolate and avocado.
In your experience, what else? The

1 Like

Good question @Jeanmarc and an important one for sitters who come across a wide range of diets, treats and opinions about nutrition when on sits. As you mention, it’s important we are always guided by the owners, but to complement this conversation here’s a post from the TrustedHousesitters blog about what dogs can and cannot eat.

4 Likes

Bonjour Jean-Marc,

Great question.

I personally posted here after someone requested my receipe of a treat for doggies which included peanut butter. This was used as a farewell and thank you gift the day the HO were coming back home after we left. What I did, is leave the cookies in a tin box with a copy beside of the receipe and it’s ingredients. So the HO could judge wether or not to give them to their furry kids.
Brigitte

2 Likes

I think that was me Brigitte :grin: We’ve done several sits lately where owners prefer to make their own home made treats so I was interested to see what you’d made.

Regarding peanut butter, I Just checked the BlueCross pet charity website in UK, and they say this … “Dogs can eat – and many really enjoy – peanut butter. But beware, some peanut butter brands contain an ingredient called XYLITOL, which is toxic to dogs and even eating small amounts can be fatal. XYLITOL is an artificial sweetener that is often used in foods to keep the product sugar-free.”

It also mentions not giving peanut butter to overweight dogs, dogs with kidney problems and dogs on special diets.

Great idea to leave a recipe card.

4 Likes

We also have to be wary of strangers wanting to give the dogs food.
We were in the HOs local pub and a stranger was admiring the dog. He then asked "Can I buy your dog a packet of crisps " !

Oh ! I wouldn’t have known for the brand of peanut butter. So next time, I will make sure that the one I buy doesn’t contain XYLITOL. Thanks !

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip about Xylitol.
But I found the idea of leaving home-made dog treats was great! Now looking for boneshaped cookie cutters…

3 Likes

Well, @Vanessa_A. There is a good idea for the articles to sell in THS boutique: cookies cutters in bones or animal footprint shapes :grinning:. Could we have one made out of the THS logo with the house and dog footprint shape :wink:?

4 Likes

That’s a lovely idea… we will be sure to pass that on to the products team! I have to admit to loving paw print designs for just about anything :paw_prints: :paw_prints:

2 Likes

Hi Jeanmarc
It’s really important that you know what could make a dog ill. On one housesit the dog that we were looking after, a very small breed, ate some raisins while we were out in the park. Fortunately she was on a lead so we were able to pull her away quickly. It was a huge pile of raisins that I can only assume had been thrown down deliberately as it was such a huge quantity, not just a discarded handful. We had no idea how many she had eaten but I knew that even a few could cause kidney failure. We managed to get the dog home and I rang the vet’s immediately and explained what had happened. The vet reckoned we needed to get the dog there within half an hour if we were to save her. We managed to call a taxi (and not all taxis will take dogs, especially a sick one) and got her to the vet’s just in time. She was given an injection to make her sick and we were left in a room with her for a good half hour until she had an empty stomach. She was then given another injection to stop her being sick. The vet informed us that it doesn’t matter how big or small the dog is as even a small amount of raisins/ sultanas can prove fatal.

4 Likes

Hello,
This topic is interesting, I think I’ll make a list in my pet sitting netbook.
By searching on the Internet, we can find a lot of explanations on the foods that should not be given to dogs or cats.
Exemple for grapes : Although science has yet to reveal why, this fruit is not at all convenient for the dog’s body. Grapes in all their forms (dry or fresh) should not be eaten in your doggie’s diet. It can cause severe kidney failure which will result in vomiting, abdominal pain or diarrhea.

1 Like

Be told onions aren’t good for dogs.
Boiled potato skins are good for a very shiny coat.

Hi @Jane my goodness what an awful experience, thankfully you aware of the dangers raisins present and more importantly you knew what she had eaten and took quick and life saving action. There may be occasions when pets eat foods that may be harmful without us noticing, owners have access to a 24/7 Veterinary Help Line included in their membership, sitter have the same access while on the sit, it is a triage service and will advise on the necessary action to take in the event of an emergency or if you simply have a concern and need advice and of course the first stop for any pet’s health concern is the pet’s own vet, the Vet Line is added reassurance.

Thank you for all that you did, I’m sure you, the owner and especially the pet were very grateful that all ended well.

Hi there, in addition to onions and chocolate, dogs shouldn’t eat grapes or any derivative thereof, ie raisins or sultanas…

2 Likes

Grapes as well as raisins are not for dogs.

2 Likes

I know that most dogs love peanut butter and that it’s ok for them
Grapes are a big NO NO! from what I’ve read it can give them kidney failure

Its great to learn about different foods allergies

2 Likes

Hi @monveneur welcome to our community forum it’s great to have you join in the conversation, dogs do love peanut butter but as Vanessa says, it needs to be the kind that has NO additives, which I’m sure you know.

Enjoy connecting with other members from around the world and we look forward to getting to share in your THS journey.

Watch out with jerky type treats

2 Likes

Well my friends, look at that business in Nashville, Tennesse. USA. I would have never though of that. The truck goes from dog’s park to dog’s park and sell these treats made out of natural ingredients. The owners probably know about the right peanut butter to use as there is some in most receipes.

https://www.4pawspastries.com/