Who's on a house sit now? How's it going?

I’m having a happy moment being back on a repeat sit in the French Alps, looking after 2 dogs and 2 cats (plus one friendly stray that I suspect is shortly to be adopted!!). I know I must be just one of many of us currently able to house sit.

What about you? Let’s see how many of our forum members are on a house right now?

Tell us which state/county/region or country you’re in (no private home details please), and a little about the pets you’re caring for. Is anyone looking after an unusual pet this week?

One of our pups is very elderly and can only manage a very short daily stroll to the church and back, but the other is young and my partner Ian has taken him off up the mountain for a lengthy hike (while I do some work). I am following them both online on a GPS tracker so I can see and share their route! Without the uphill slog :joy:

33 Likes

Not actually on a sit right this second. Start on the 21st of May, then booked nearly all through till the end of October.
So just enjoying a few days away in our motorhome before we start.

8 Likes

Unfortunately haven’t done a sit since February 2020. We’re in Vancouver, Canada and can’t even travel into other areas of British Columbia. We are so missing our house sitting adventures and furry friends!

5 Likes

We just sold our campervan but we miss it so much, we had to take our little camping stove on the 4 hour journey to this sit, and we stopped to make eggie bread on the way out of the back of the car! Desperate eh?! :rofl:
So pleased to hear you’ve got a sits booked through to October… that’s wonderful news. Which country are you in?

7 Likes

I get to go on my very first housesit adventure on May 21! It’s in my region on a precious little mini farm in Black Mountain, NC with one youthful pup and an older cat. I am so excited!. Then, I am booked for the next weekend in Nashville, TN and this time I am going with my husband. The homeowners have 3 dogs so I am grateful for the help with walking as all dogs are youthful and sprightly! So grateful to be on this new journey in my life.

12 Likes

Feel so sorry for all our house sit friends in Canada, you’re having it tough there at the moment but let’s hope that things change very soon and restrictions ease. Where was your last house sit Annette? In Canada or somewhere else in the world?

1 Like

Oh Becky, I can really feel your excitement and enthusiasm and am so, so happy you have your first house sit experience in just a few weeks. Please come back to the forum and tell us how it goes. In the meantime all the best for the next phase in your life :star_struck: :guide_dog: :service_dog: :poodle: :cat2:

7 Likes

I’m in the same boat as @Globetrotter except in Ontario. Cut a 4 month visit to the UK & Ireland short to fly back here at the end of March 2020 and have been holding off on booking anything else as travel is so up in the air. Hasn’t stopped me from obsessing over the new listings though - I can’t wait to get back to it and am holding out hope that will happen in a few months!

4 Likes

Oh no, that was bad timing! Keep obsessing and those months will fly by! Can you believe nearly half this year has passed already!! Let us know when you get a sit booked and we’ll celebrate online :partying_face:

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Vanessa! Good idea - I will share how my very first sit goes!

2 Likes

Well, another part of Canada here, beeing in Québec.
Things are improving. We will benefit next week from a re.opening plan. Can’t wait. Hang on there, Ontario AB and BC !

5 Likes

Yay!! We’ve got lots of Canadians in the forum tonight (my tonight :slight_smile: ) There will be no stopping you all when you get let loose :slight_smile: Really hope that happens for you soon :hugs:

4 Likes

Life continues as normal here in NZ & sitting. Heaps over in Oz but nervous applying on the odd chance flights from Auck are halted for up to 3 days if any covid cases pop up in x or y in Oz.

We are currently befriending an awesome active doggie :sunglasses: and enjoying the trails with her.

I’m sad for my Canuck people here on the forum as just hope we’ll be able to return to see family late year or next​:sob::sob:.

7 Likes

Bet you’ve got some awesome trails where you are! Love it when our house sit pups outperform us. Neddy our Aussie Cattle Dog here has boundless energy! Ian returned exhausted and Ned was like… “why are we back so soon” :laughing:
BTW guys… can someone give me the origin of what appears to be an affectionate term… “Canucks” ? (I won’t be lazy and I will go look it up too :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Going to meet Ho next week with alpacas
Will be interesting.
2 further more sits planned

6 Likes

The trails are awesome but not flat :sweat_smile: but I manage to just about keep up with madame doggo.

One of the origins of Crazy Canucks was from the 70’s/early 80’s when Steve Podborski & Nancy Greene or others represented Canada on the pro downhill ski circuit plus won many races. An announcer called them ‘the crazy canucks’

4 Likes

Good luck with the meetup and exciting you have planned future sits! Will they be in NI? We loved our recent llama sit, but only had 2!

2 Likes

1 here
2 regulars in England.

4 Likes

Got a sit lined up for mid July in one of my most favourite cities, Bath. First sit since before the pandemic began.
Praying now for the US to open up its borders so that I can fulfil a long promised sit in Florida this August.

7 Likes

Also in Vancouver. Not on a sit yet (we were lucky enough to have a 4-month one here that ended in January), but have 2 lovely confirmed sits for June and July on Vancouver Island. We were going to use our van for the 2 weeks between sits but both have been extended so they now overlap. We’ll have to save camping until later. But we have been doggo deprived since March 2020 when we had to leave NZ sits, and we are really looking forward to canine company for about 7 weeks.

5 Likes