You've already applied on this sit

I just applied on a local sit - there wasn’t any other applicants showing so I’m sure I was the first applicant and the homeowner read my application immediately. I went back to revisit reading the sit after sending my application and when I clicked on “view listing” it shows this - “you’ve already applied on this sit”. Usually it shows how many applicants have applied. First time I’ve ever encountered this - is it something new?

1 Like

No it’s not new since the overlapping rule was introduced. If you go into your messages where you applied, click on view listing, it will show you there how many applicants, unless it has gone to reviewing of course, which it will state.

3 Likes

I noticed this recently too. I wanted to see how many applicants there were after I applied, but it just showed ‘you’ve already applied to this sit’.

4 Likes

@systaran if you follow what I posted above, it will show you how many applicants, just in a shadow but clear to see :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Ziggy - I’m aware of the overlapping rule but this doesn’t coincide with any other sit I have for the dates.

2 Likes

Yes - that’s exactly the message I saw tonight - for the first time. Hopefully someone from THS can comment on this. I did go on the app which I don’t tend to use and saw that there was one applicant which was obviously me but I wasn’t able to see this on the web.

1 Like

This is something new that I’ve never seen before. Where it used to show the number of applicants, it showed ‘you’ve already applied to this sit’. It might just be on the website and not the app (I rarely use the app). But it is definitely a change as I’ve always gone back to the listing after applying to see the number of applicants.

I agree @systaran, I think it is a new feature as I saw this message for the first time yesterday. I was using the website and couldn’t see the number of applicants. I know I was the first one though.

1 Like

I only use the app and have seen it this way many times before now. I applied yesterday for a sit then went back in to see how many applicants. Then as mentioned it says “you have already applied for this sit” which notification I get every time I apply for a sit. So to see how many applicants there are/were, I go into messages, find the sit I have sent the application to, then at the top where it says “view listing” if you click into that, it will take you to the listing but it will also show how many applicants. If I try to see how many simply by going into the listing on the listings page, it doesn’t show how many and just gives the generic as mentioned, “you have already applied for this sit” but by doing it this other way, going in through the link on your messages page, it WILL show how many applicants. Sorry if I’m missing something here.

4 Likes

@Globetrotter sorry if I can’t explain myself too well, I struggle with that sometimes. I didn’t mean that it has anything to do with overlapping rule, sorry. I was just trying to explain that I see this message “you have already applied for this sit” every time I go back into that particular listing and have seen it for quite some time now. I was only trying to say how I can see how many applicants AFTER I receive that message. Even if I am the only applicant, nothing directly connected to the overlapping rule per se, only that I receive this message EVERY time I apply for a sit then go back in. By doing it through the “messages” page, it shows differently.

1 Like

Got the same message about a week ago too. But it was only one sit I applied to, not another. And navigating only on my laptop. Subsequently, the HO did cancel the dates, so don’t know if that is related.

@systaran I’ve noriced that too. Another thing, when I go into messages on the website then click ‘view listing’ link, it goes to the ‘find a sit’ page and not to the specific listing. The link only works from messages n the app! Does anyone else find this is happening?

@Happypets I don’t use the website, only the app so in my case, and as you say, it works in the app, if I go into messages, click “view listing”, it takes me directly to the correct listing and shows how many applicants. I have received the “you have already applied for this sit” notification every time on the app when I click back into it on the LISTINGS page, so I go in through messages, but it isn’t new in my experience recently

@ziggy I too use the app exclusively (except for actual applications where I prefer to be able to type properly) but for general searches and updates its so much quicker. Especially like now where I’m check my phone every hour for new listings on my Spain saved search!
Its as you say- if you apply to a sit and then click on the listing again it will show something like ‘already applied for this sit/3 applicants’
It seems to me it has always been like this?!
It sounds like the web version is showing things differently- one of the many descrepancies between web & app!

1 Like

@Lokstar thanks, I’m happy to hear I’m not going crazy :rofl: As I am travelling internationally with only my phone, it is much easier using the app as you say. So yes, that is how it has shown to me also as far back as my old brain can remember. Again as you say, there must be a discrepancy between the app and the web view.

2 Likes

I’m using the beta test version of the new inbox and can confirm that when accessing the listing from the beta inbox you cannot see the number of applications. I’m fairly sure this has been changed since beta testing started, so it may be here to stay. I’ll submit some feedback…

The app offers a workaround for now

2 Likes

There is always a discrepancy between the app and the web as software development (desktop) and application development (mobile) are two different platforms and are coded in different programming languages by different teams of programmers. In addition, mobile app coding is somewhat limited by mobile system resources such as smaller screens, lesser capacity, and slower performance.

1 Like

Yes! Happens to me also, I have notified THS but no explanation given.
Why www and App don’t interface is very frustrating!

Just received an “application declined” notification on this sit and now I’m able to see that there are 3 applicants. It would be so nice if homeowners had some courtesy to say “thank you for applying” or a personal note. Especially when a sitter has over 40 5 star references!

@Globetrotter We got a decline(without a message) yesterday. The listing was up for no more than 15 mins and we were 5th applicant. It went straight to ‘reviewing’. Within the hour we got declined and the listing said ‘no sitter required’ We assumed they’d got an app from a previous sitter and just accepted them so it was an ‘auto decline’ from THS.
Today we got a very friendly message from that host thanking us for our ‘lovely application’ and apologising for not having sent a personal message before the auto decline. She said she’d love us for a future sit.
Unfortunately many hosts don’t realise that the moment they confirm a sitter all other applicants will get an auto decline. I suggested to this host (and others before her) that she send the decline message BEFORE confirming a sitter officially on the site- to save the feelings of the ‘rejected’ sitters!

4 Likes