32 And Counting

I’m new combined premium membership, I’ve literally reached out to 32 people and still no one available - AND I’m making sure their availability is showing green! What am I doing wrong? I’m starting to panic, I have two trips coming up, one is a conference that’s already been paid for and another trip completely paid for. I really wanted this program to work, it’s such a great concept - but feels impossible to get started. I’m just discouraged and frustrated. I’ve decided to delete my first trip & just make my 18 year old (normally lives with dad) watch / sit, but of course that is not my first preference, as they have a busy life too, but I’ve guilt-ed her into it. Any advice? Suggestions?

I heard from this forum that inviting sitters from the availability calendar doesn’t work that well. Most sitters apply based on their schedules on where they want to go. The same thing happened to my family. We got a couple invites from different HOs in Dallas but even though my availability calendar was open, I wanted to visit the Pacific Northwest instead. I guess it doesn’t hurt to try asking more but from the posts that I’ve seen here they say it’s better to have a good listing to see who applies. Quick thought. Your listing mentions that the sitter could get there a couple days before the sit. You might want to clarify if you meant they could stay in your house. Sitters might see that and think you are expecting them to pay for 2 nights of hotel which might make them pass on applying

1 Like

Hi @Myka and welcome. My understanding is also that it’s much more effective to write a good, inviting listing with good picture selection and post it on the website.
If you add a link to your profile here, members can offer specific helpful suggestions.

1 Like

If you’ve not already done this, you might want to make your listing open to families. Why I suggest that: There are competing sits in the Portland area that are closer location wise to various sights than your home is. Your differentiation is having a home with multiple rooms / space, which competing listings might not if they’re closer in.

I’d also suggest adding more descriptive info about attractions that you’re near. If someone is considering sits and doesn’t know your area, saying you’re close to parks or such is too vague to entice many people when there are other listings with appealing details.

2 Likes

@Myka I took a look at your profile dates and I want to assure you, you have plenty of time for a sitter to apply. Honestly, you may not have any applications for another month or so. Just hang in there and they will come!

Your home is beautiful and your pets are adorable, and you have made the sit family friendly, so this will make your sit even more desirable.

Good Luck!

2 Likes

Thank you, I changed it, I hope it’s obvious I would expect someone to stay at my house if they arrive early. “I generally like the sitter to show up a day or two early, so we can go over things and they can get settled into their space & ask any questions they may have.”

1 Like

Thanks, I think I did this already, but if you can’t see it, please let me know.

Your sit looks great, and you do have tons of time. I don’t think you’ll have an issue.

1 Like

@Myka - I see you have an application! - I hope you turn out to be a good fit for each other :grinning:

2 Likes

Myka, I understand your panic as I’ve experienced that too. I’ve been on TH many years with lots of 5 star reviews as HO but this is a super busy summer and fewer housesitters available IMO BUT don’t give up! I think I’ve only had to ditch a plan once–usually someone great always works out. I would suggest tweaking your headline to really grab people. Forget “looking for housesitter…” BORING. Try something unique that highlight what you offer that is different—this is advertising after all. And try to post your dates as far advance as possible. Good housesitters plan ahead.

1 Like

Yes, I have one applicant and they want to bring their own dog which is something that’s not gonna work for me so I need to change my listing, to include please do not plan on bringing your own pet. I have an older lab mix and she can be a little bit possessive of her own little things. around her own home and she would get way too stressed out to have another animal in the house. I prefer adults only or adults with older children.

I’m a sitter, your photos look really good, so someone great will come along, there’s loads of time left. But don’t bother searching for sitters based on their calendars as it only takes into account THS sits only, sitters can not change it. Instead just try reaching out to sitters within a couple of hours drive of yourself and see if you have any luck that way.

2 Likes

I have accepted invites to sit from owners sometimes. It will depend on location and dates etc. Also the type and amount of animals. I have definitely turned down far more than accepted though. It is not worth my while, travelling three hundred miles for a four night sit in a tiny flat in a big town for example. On the other hand a spacious cottage, for a couple of weeks in scenic location, not far from the coast and I might.

2 Likes

I have put in my listing that this is not a housesit for those traveling with pets and children. I have also made clear house sitters need a car. Still, I get those applicants. So, you can write it but either people don’t fully read the listing or think I will change my mind.

1 Like

@EASTBAYCA I just took a look at your listing and I don’t see either of those requests listed (no pets or children). I also do not see where you say owner will need a car. When did you do it as maybe just not updated yet.

1 Like

@EASTBAYCA People should definitely read every word. But I will say that there was a listing that did not notate “Family Friendly” but my daughter saw the photo of the dog and begged me to apply. I applied to see if I could change her mind. She did, we did the sit, and the HO told me we were the best housesitters and invited us for the next upcoming sit date. We had to decline as we were not going to be in the area but sometimes, you can change a HO’s mind. If the HOs are annoyed with the application, it takes one "Decline’ click

2 Likes

Hi, I glanced at your sit to see what struck me (BTW, I’m going to be in Europe in October so it’s not a fit for me). I think you did a nice job of showing your home to be pleasant and comfortable and your pets are adorable. I can tell you that many sitters do not plan months ahead - it may be that simple. Take heart; you may find that closer to the date it becomes easier. In fact, you might want to delist it if you haven’t found someone and relist it in August (so it pops up as a new sit).
I’m sure you’ll be fine!

1 Like

I’ve had variations over time, some more specific. It’s now implied (single or couple) and “transportation needed” although some do take Uber etc. Trial and error to see what works.

Edited to remove personal information.

1 Like

UPDATE: I GOT A SITTER!!! :hugs: :pray: :hugs: Yay!! So GRATEFUL!!!
HappyDance

5 Likes

@Myka Yay so happy for you and your fur babies. I love Snoopy what a great way to share your news :star_struck:

3 Likes