Another Cancelled Housesit!

Zen a great idea and suggestion I will pass on to the product team … it may even be a possibility for sharing here on the Forum, something for discussion.

4 Likes

Pfizer. Absolutely no secondary effect.

3 Likes

Thanks Angela! There are so many match-making apps/systems out there, surely, it could be replicated to assist house sitters in securing another sit when needed. I’ve been in this “stranded” situation in the past, while in Florida, and I was lucky enough to be rescued by another member of Trusted Housesitters who put me in direct contact with a homeowner (also a member of THS), who had a last minute need for a house sitter. Grateful for your assistance on this timely topic.

6 Likes

We both had different vaccines
Am due my otherone soon.
We our both fine

1 Like

Ugh I’m sorry. I had this happen recently too and only a few days before the trip. I was going to drive so I didn’t miss out on much/didn’t have anything booked but I thought it was strange I didn’t get an update or an apology other than “trips cancelled, sorry” three days before the trip

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Adoptacentaur these are very uncertain times still, I’m sorry your sit was cancelled.

Thank you for joining and once again welcome this is a great place to share your experiences and we cannot wait to get to know you better, where are you based at the moment please feel free to share your TrustedHousesitters journey. Enjoy the conversations and connecting with members from around the world.

Thank you for being part of our great community.

Angela & The Team

1 Like

That is appalling! I’m a HO not a sitter but I wouldn’t dream of not telling a sitter if we had to cancel, it would be the first thing I would do. It never ceases to amaze me how inconsiderate some people can be.

9 Likes

Is there any consequences for HO who cancel sits without an extremely good reason (outside of COVID times I guess)? I believe I read that Sitters who cancel without good cause, can lose their membership I think, but I’m not sure.

Hi @Kelownagurl each cancellation situation is dealt with by Membership Services on an individual basis, whether sitter or owner, they will look into the circumstances and if a member has broken the Code of Conduct, appropriate action will be taken which could result in the loss of membership.

We know that that life can bring unexpected changes which cannot be avoided and if there is a personal emergency and genuine reason to cancel an arrangement we will help in every way we can, the most important thing is to let Membership Services know the situation as soon as possible.

Cancellations happen rarely but when they do by working together we can make the situation easier for everyone.

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s good information to know. We were devastated when we had to cancel three sits last May due to the lockdowns but were grateful each of the Home Owners fully understood and all (I think?) had had to cancel their trips anyway. I hope I never have to do that again.

1 Like

Hey there, sorry to hear about your cancellation! I think many of us have been there this past year and it certainly can put a wrench in things! I am currently in an airbnb in between sits and I certainly have a more “clear” understanding of the expense of short term housing. It’s a workable solution for me for the short term, but I totally understand that it’s is not a great fit for longer needs!

Just wondering, have you looked at all into sites like help.net? I used them about ten years ago and had some great adventures. The membership fee is very reasonable and it is a work trade agreement -where you do some agreed work for room and board.

Perhaps worth checking out? Best of luck!!

3 Likes

Hi Teresa, can you tell me the full address of the website help.net? I had ‘no website found’ when I Tried to enter that address. Thanks.

Its https://helpx.net/

1 Like

Used Helpx on lots of occasions and always a great experience.

2 Likes

Great news @Provence thank you for sharing a great update!

Hi friends

I’d be keen for your thoughts - I was contacted direct a while ago by a HO we sat for last year asking if we fancied coming back for a few weeks this summer. We agreed but I said I wanted to go via THS to give us both security etc. The HO put up an ad and we applied. Since then, there has been radio silence - my application hasn’t been accepted and my message unread and the ad shows the HO is not currently looking for a sitter.

I suspect this is a case of the HO being “too busy” but we also want to plan our summer. I have sent a text message to the HO but have not heard back yet. What I don’t want is to make other plans (on the basis that the HO seems to have got someone else) and then face their wrath because we’ve “let them down”.

What would you do?

If you’ve sat before I assume you have email/WhatsApp with them.
I’d contact them directly saying exactly what you’ve said here.

Thank you, yes I have contacted them outside of the site but haven’t heard back for a while. I said it’s fine if they have changed their plans but we are just trying to plan our summer so let’s see.

Hi @sunshinesonme , personally if it were me I’d get on and make whatever plans you fancy for the summer if they have failed to respond too your messages… Even if they are very busy they should find time to at least acknowledge your messages and explain that they’re busy and will respond fully later. If something else has unfortunately happened I suspect they will not require a sitter…

1 Like

just getting my head around this type of travel hack so I would love any tips you could provide :slight_smile: