Doors around the world

Lucky you we Love the Cotswold. If you ever get a chance go to Switzerland and visit the inspiration for his Rivendell.

2 Likes

@Dennis we actually stopped in Lauterbrunnen on our road trip in July 2020 but unfortunately there was very little water on the waterfall due to the summer season so alas no photos, a very stunning village though, but instead we decided to travel from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg by train to visit Jungfraujoch or the Top of Europe. Here are a few photos from our visit there.

1 Like

@Kelownagurl please let us know when you plan to visit Stow and perhaps we could meet you somewhere for tea, cake and a chat? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I also love the church door in Stow (I used to work in the Market Square). For Tolkien fans, there are a few other locations in that part of the Cotswolds that are believed to have inspired him. The Bell Inn in Moreton in Marsh is considered to be the inspiration for the Prancing Pony - it even has a plaque from the Tolkien Society.

1 Like

Cessenon-sur-Orb - walled vegetable gardens by the river.

3 Likes

Glad you made it there! It’s still the most beautiful place that I have ever been. Long story, but we had a picture nook when I was a kid in the early 60’s that had a two page photo in the middle of it of the Lauterbrunnen Valley. I couldn’t imagine a more beautiful place. I swore to myself that if I ever made it to Europe I would go to that spot in Wengen. In 1972 a friend from College invited me to stay with his family in London. From there we ventured to Switzerland and I saw what was then a little wooden sign at the station that had a sign for Lauterbrunnen. I have returned over the years 14 times. Still my favorite destination. I proposed to my wife in Interlaken after buying here an engagement ring there. I have done three house sits in Switzerland and always included the area. And that picture book. On the cover was a mountain here in Washington which eventually became my home! We are looking for a pet sit next year in the Alps. We will definitely return to as the book labeled it the Fairy Tale Valley. Not a sleepy little village anymore. We even with the owners permission took Sammy with us while house sitting! Buy you a pint the next time we are in the Lovely Cotswolds! Cheers!

2 Likes

@Debbie We haven’t as yet visited The Bell Inn but we certainly will now thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

@Debbie @Samox24 Maybe that’s where (The Bell Inn) we should meet up? We’ll be in Chipping Campden from May 23-31.

2 Likes

@Dennis what a lovely story and yes it certainly is beautiful.
Good luck with your pet sit next year in the Alps and yes we would love to meet up for a pint, we actually hope to be In Washington State at some point over the summer during our 3 monty trip or if not then just let us know when you will next be in the Cotswolds :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

@Kelownagurl @Samox24 that would almost be a group meet! I know a family of home owners in Moreton in Marsh too.

We are on a sit in Wales from 27th May though. I could make an evening between 23rd and 26th though, if others can?

2 Likes

I was a so called Destination Expert for Washington on the Trip Advisor Forums for Washington. I gave more advise on Olympic National Park than anyone. It’s a very unique area. Definitely contact me if you visit. I have been exploring it for over forty years. I was there last week and again next week.

4 Likes

@Dennis fabulous thank you :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

Amsterdam

5 Likes

Dresden, Germany

6 Likes

4 Likes

Prague

5 Likes

Prague

4 Likes

@PVGemini Wow! Stunning

1 Like

Valencia, Spain :es: :heart:

5 Likes

The door to Carrie’s study, at Bateman’s, the former home of Rudyard Kipling.

5 Likes