Feedback and Reviews

Are you automatically invited to leave feedback on a sit, through the system, or does the sitter instigate it please?

As a Sitter, you request a Review by the Home Owner. You can also provide Feedback of a Home Owner.

Neither is automatic, and the request for a Review is instigated by the Sitter. The Home Owner does not have to instigate Feedback, the Sitter can do this as they wish.

After our last sit, when I went to our Dashboard, a pop up appeared prompting us to not only request a Review, but also to provide Feedback.

1 Like

HO’s can leave reviews unprompted, just as sitters can.

2 Likes

You don’t get automatically invited to leave feedback but can do so from the day after your sit ends by going to your dashboard, click on your profile photo on the top right-hand corner, this will create a drop-down menu and you will see ‘feedback’ amongst the options

So we dont know how to leave a reply about the housesit/pet sit

1 Like

Hi @Coop, follow the steps given by @Colin.

@Coop - here is how to do it -

Yes this does happen and has been raised before. It is so unfair.
If I do have to remind the homeowner to leave a review I also add ‘including the star rating section’.
As I now have so many reviews a lack of stars wouldn’t be too detrimental but as a new sitter it would have a big impact.

1 Like

I wonder how the ‘5 stars’ is calculated? I just checked ours - we have done a couple of sits that had no pets so the home host rightly gave us 5 stars for 4 categories but no stars for ‘pet’ happiness. If the star rating was a percentage of all categories, that would have been an overall 4 start for us - but we were still given 5 stars?

2 Likes

Out of interest does the THS site prompt the home/pet owner to complete a review of the sitter?

1 Like

Hi @Skysea.

I always have questions about the PP user experience as well. Just from reading the forums, it sounds like the PP doesn’t receive any prompts to review automatically: Not after the sit, nor after a sitter leaves feedback.

If any PPs know otherwise, please correct me. Screenshots are especially appreciated. (if screenshots have personal info, DM/message me and I can blur that out prior to posting)

If I’m right, the only prompt that PPs receive is if a sitter requests a review via the TH dashboard:

I’m also curious if the PPs ever get sent an email from TH which sounds like a sitter review request, but is actually a link to review TH on TrustPilot. (Like the emails that sitters get after receiving 5-star reviews.)

2 Likes

If you ask THS they say both sitters and owners get prompts to leave feedback.
We all know this doesn’t happen, perhaps @Ben-ProductManager can comment?

1 Like

This is a copy of a comment I made on here at the end of last year. Hope it helps.
“I got an email from THS yesterday congratulating me on my review which contained a link to leave a review of THS.
I think the emphasis should be on prompting sitters to leave feedback for the homeowner/host.
I feel this causes much confusion.
In the early days I don’t think it was an option to leave feedback for the homeowner on how the sit went. Then I just replied to their review which is not helpful when sitters look at listings as they cannot see that response”.

4 Likes

We have just has a fantastic experience while applying/confirming a sit. This got me thinking, why don’t I mention it in the feedback after the sit is finished to let potential sitters know these people are not time wasters. They publish a detailed listing. They read applicants almost immediately and if they like one they set up a video call for the first time which is good for both parties. And the decision is made there and then.
This is all information I think sitters would like to know. It’s so good to have an effort reciprocated.

7 Likes

As a sitter and a homeowner I would like to beg people that use this service to please, please, please, write a review or feedback. These reviews are so important and it is just heartbreaking when someone cannot be bothered to write one. If you feel uncomfortable doing so because you feel you had a negative experience, please send at least a private message to the other party.

5 Likes

I do agree with this as I have loved the PP/HO’s we have sat for, but I did reach out privately to one about something I felt was probably and oversight and told her I didn’t want it to reflect on her listing. She wrote back thanking me for helping her realize something I saw might be uncomfortable for another sitter and said she had rectified it.
Sometimes that is all that is needed to make it a win/win for everyone!

4 Likes

As a new housesitter, it is so helpful to see reviews of homes and sits. Descriptions of the neighborhood and things to do in the area are helpful too. I know it can be awkward to give a bad/honest review, but this would be so helpful to others and can be done in a nice way.
When I see that someone has done a sit and not left a review, it leaves me wondering if there was something wrong and they were afraid to say something.
If anyone has some advise on leaving a review that is not the best, please share your thoughts.

Hi @Mom8xs and welcome to the forum! Blank reviews (which is what post-sit remarks from the home/pet owner are called) or blank feedback (= post sit remarks from the sitter) can indicate a number of things: The experience was not a good one, that the sitter or owner forgot or was never requested to leave one, the sit never took place, the review or feedback was mistakenly posted to Trust Pilot because of a link that was mistakenly clicked.

The review system has been one of the most discussed topics here. Take a look at this:

https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/why-do-sitters-choose-not-to-leave-a-bad-review-even-after-they-have-received-theirs-i-feel-let-down-by-my-fellow-sitters

Here’s another discussion on leaving feedback after a less than ideal experience.

https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/giving-constructive-feedback-on-sit-experiences/

However, if you have seen Matthew Prior’s recent letter, in it he states that there will soon be major improvements! So stay tuned.

1 Like

I am currently on a sit where the owners are extremely hard to get hold of, and to me that’s a negative, and I plan to mention this in the review and take at least one star off, depending on how things go until the end. I agree with what others have said, it’s a way of helping potential future sitters.

Hi @Mom8xs - Occasionally a sit will not be perfect and you will want to point out the negative issues in your feedback. However, unless the sit was really awful, which is rare, there will also be some positives to mention.

In this instance, the best way to write your feedback will be to use what is known as a ‘positive sandwich’

This is a great technique for being able to comment on negative aspects of the sit without appearing to be too negative, impolite or confrontational.

It is an easy technique, Always be sure to start and end your feedback with positive comments. Then any negative comments should always be “sandwiched" between the positive ones.

1 Like