Hello from Sitka Alaska

Just wanted to say hello to the community as I’m up in Sitka Alaska for the summer season working as a Nature walking guide for a tour company. I’m surrounded by the largest National forest and temperate rainforest in the world “tongass” 17 million acres embraced by toweing Spruce, the Sitka spruce ( state tree) the third tallest Conifer in the world after Giant Sequoia and California Redwoods. Sitks, the 5th largest town in the state at roughly 8500 year round people. When I’m done here I’ll be off to a fun month long dog sit in Portland Oregon which will likely be raining as well. Anyway, just wanted to share a few images and say hello.

17 Likes

Wow! Fabulous!
Thank you for sharing this.
Have an excellent adventure!
Xx

4 Likes

Hello @Catgoddess_99 and thank you for sharing, it looks absolutely stunning!
Enjoy your travels :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

You’re welcome :star_struck::smiley::yellow_heart::blue_heart:

2 Likes

Hello, oh what beauties! you have to enjoy yourself. Thanks for your sharing.
Best, Sasha Kris

2 Likes

Hi @Catgoddess_99 Hello!! I have to join in the applause for posting such incredible images and for taking us on a guided walk of Sitka Alaska Walking Tours & Hiking - Visit Sitka

We hope that you have a brilliant summer in the “frozen North” … it will be truly amazing. Please don’t make this the one and only post, please take us on your daily walks, we can all do with the exercise, for our bodies and our brains.

Thank you

2 Likes

@Angela_L I will definitely continue to share. It’s been quite hectic during the week and weekends is when we have no ships, so I’m happy to share more as time allows. Thanks for your delightful reply :grinning: :blush: :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

3 Likes

Hi @Catgoddess_99. What a wonderful way to spend the summer! Sitka and the surrounding area is so beautiful, and introducing visitors to that beauty and the natural wonders that abound there sounds like a fabulous job. Following that up with a month enjoying the great food, beer and coffee of Portland with a furry friend sounds like a great way to ease back into the lower 48. :beer: :doughnut: :coffee: :dog2:

2 Likes

Sitka lying within the Tongass National forest means it typically receives abundant rainfall roughly 100 inches a year, enjoy the velvet green and cloudy skies for a moment.

7 Likes

Beautiful, we have not been to Alaska yet, but it is on our bucket list - perhaps next summer!

Thank you @Catgoddess_99 we look forward to seeing so much more … home for me is Canada and I have always wanted to go “North To Alaska” an have yet to get that far, thank you for virtually taking me there and reigniting the fire of exploration.

How did you come by @Catgoddess_99 … or is that your purrfect secret?

2 Likes

@Angela-HeadOfCommunity Cat goddess because historically cat’s in many countries such as Egypt we’re seen as "Goddesses ". Granted I love all animals yet in the past my own pet’s have been Cat’s. Also, so many of my "monikers " have to do with Ravens or whales so just decided to be a "cat goddess :paw_prints::lion::black_cat::cat2::cat::tiger::tiger2::leopard:

4 Likes

Hello! We were just in Sitka off a cruise ship for one day! We finished up a northern California housesit then met our kids in Seattle and hopped on a Holland America ship. We only had time to visit the Bear Rescue and Raptor Rescue and a little shopping downtown. We had a nice day, no rain!

1 Like

How awesome! I might of walked right by you on my nature tours.

Wow what beautiful photos, thank you for sharing @Catgoddess_99 !!! Alaska has a special place in my heart. I have had over 10 trips to Alaska for both pleasure and work, and every time I go I never want to leave. I haven’t had the chance to make it to Sitka yet, but it is definitely on the list. One of my goals in life is It visit every US National Park. So far I have checked off 23 and two of those were in Alaska, Denali & Kenai Fjords. Both parks were absolutely stunning. I can’t wait to visit the other National Parks in Alaska and the rest of the US. Do you have any favorite National Parks? Here are some photos from my trip last month. I am actually flying back to Alaska this weekend!

9 Likes

Wow! How wonderful :heart: yeah Alaska definitely gets in your blood. My favorite National parks are Kenai Fjords, Katmai, Denali as well as Glacier in Montana. Where are you flying into on your next trip?

2 Likes

Tonight with some co-workers we took in the sunset up on harbor Mountain here in Sitka. The clouds gave way to some beautiful light and it literally took my breath away.

8 Likes

@Catgoddess_99 @Julie_A thank you for whetting my travel appetite for Alaska, having lived in BC & AB Canada the weather is so doable for me but until now it’s not a place I had any burning desire to visit, to me it was too much like N AB but seeing these images I may just need to go to by my next candle supply … :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thank you for sharing and taking me on a fabulous tour.

3 Likes

@Angela_L is Northern Ab a temperate rainforest? Sitka is within the tongass National forest, besides being the largest National forest in the U…S. It’s also a Northern temperate rainforest. It’s probably more similar to BC and Vancouver Island. We’re approximately 1000 miles from Seattle and 1000 miles from Anchorage the largest city in Alaska. Our weather is closer to Seattle, Anchorage has dryer summers and much colder winter’s. Our average temperature in the summer is in the 50’s and 60’s Fahrenheit and 30’s and 40’s winter. It rarely dips into the single digits and receives about 100 jnches of rain annually. Anyway , Alaska is unique, 2.5 times the size of Texas and only 750,000 people in the entire state, most of the north is remote and a huge variabe in wearher throughout the state. Nonetheless it’s certainly worth a visit.

3 Likes

Do you also book flights? Thank you so much for taking the time to create such an informative reply and really surprising facts. Alaska has a quality which I love about Canada, wide open spaces and few people.

When I first went to Edmonton AB and drove the highway south to Calgary I could not get over how BIG the sky was/is which sounds extraordinary on reflection but it’s so very true.

3 Likes