Hello, we are Jeff and Sandra - Our passion for travel has led us to sell almost everything we own and commit to exploring the world

We will be just outside of Edinburgh for the first part of our journey but will be travelling through a lot of the country. Our sit will be looking after two beautiful puppy brothers. This will be the first visit to Scotland for both of us and we look forward to seeing where our distant relatives came from.

3 Likes

@Bubba14 East Lothian is a wonderful area! We did a sit in the lower slopes of the Lammermuir Hills above Gifford last year. Not too far from Drem but more remote. Drem looks like a great base to explore the area.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice. We’ve booked our first local sit so we can get our feet wet while still in our home territory and wrapping up commitments locally, and we have our first “discovery call” scheduled for our first “in a new country” sit!

1 Like

@themobileretiree Congratulations on your first sit and exciting news about your call :grin: keep us posted as to how it all goes and what pet/s will you be caring for? :smiling_face:

1 Like

@themobileretiree Congratulations on your first sit and hope all goes well with your “discovery call” and as @Carla said, keep us all posted! :clap:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So, we arrived a day early to meet the pets and the pet parents and were greeted at the train station by them all. I can’t say enough about the entire experience so far! The parents and “the boys” are all wonderful! I can totally understand how people say that it is difficult to leave a sit and we are still here for another five days!! Even if I don’t get another sit the entire time I’m away this was well worth it.

4 Likes

Hello! This post and it’s responses has made me realize there are quite a few of us “retired nomads” floating around on THS.
Is there any kind of special group, or maybe even a Facebook group for us to connect, interact, and share tips and ideas on navigating this life? If not, would any of you be interested in joining a group like this?
I would just love to share thoughts, adventures, ideas and maybe even some meet ups with you guys.

Hello @GypsySouls and a very warm welcome to the Community Forum and thank you for joining in with this thread, I am sure you will get many responses from others on here with regards to answering your question.

For reference, as a member, you can also add your TrustedHousesitters profile on to your Forum profile by following the attached link, should you wish. This will then enable others to offer you helpful advice and feedback.

If you are unsure how to do this, or if you have any questions at all, do not hesitate to ask, we are all more than happy to help.

Also, remember you can use the spyglass symbol at the top of the page next to the TrustedHousesitters logo and search for any questions that you may have as they have most likely already been answered on here and of course if not then please just ask! :blush:

@GypsySouls there are lots of facebook groups for nomads e g Senior Nomads. Another is GoWithLess- nomadic life, travel hacks, housesitting etc. I replied to someone asking about housesitting and added my referral link but my post was immeduately removed. I found out after that the admins of GoWithLess are THS members so obviously they want promote their own link!

Has this changed? I just tried posting my referral link on another FB group and it is perpetually in “pending”. Why is this not allowed?

@tortimom it is highly likely the admins of the FB group have blocked it. I’ve tried- a number of times- to share my link on various FB travel groups- in response to someone asking about housesitting. The admins usually remove it within a short time. Quite often the admin on a housesitting group is also a THS member so they want to share their own link. They don’t want competitors!

Hmmm so it’s not a TH rule?

@tortimom Not at all! THS actively encourages sharing our code as it increases membership therefore earnings for THS!
The first time my code sharing was blocked I enquired why? The admin of that group (a travel hack/housesitting group) said they don’t allow members to share links to other competitve platforms. Later I saw someone comment to a fellow member that the admins themselves were THS members so ofcourse they want to share their own code to get their 2 months membership per referral!

@tortimom - I help with the Admin on a large UK based petsitting Facebook Group. We only allow referral links to be posted if someone has specifically asked for one.

We do this because the group used to be bombarded daily with these referral codes and, to be honest, posting them randomly on a group when no one has asked is a bit like posting junk mail or making cold-call phone calls and can get really annoying

@Lokstar , although that is not something we do in our group I can totally understand why the admins /owners of some groups would do it.

Admins often give many hours each week voluntarily helping run the groups so it seems fair that they get the benefit of the odd referral code here and there.

For clarity: Your asking about posting your referral link in Facebook groups? It’s possible that the admin of that facebook group doesn’t allow referral links. I have found that most of the petsitting-related facebook groups I belong to don’t allow referral links; the admins are usually pet sitters themselves and want members to use their referral link to explore THS.