Homeowners Feedback Request

I’m wondering if it’s possible to send more than one request to the home owner for their review on your sit. I had my first sit through trusted housesitters and went way above and beyond the duties of being a pet/home sitter…I’m talking tons of dishes, multiple bags of stinky trash in a corner of their kitchen, steel water jugs with putrefied nastiness in them, ants everywhere, laundry all over the living room, crap in the toilet, razor and men’s whiskers all over the bathroom, Dirty towels on the floor, dogs with no water, they didn’t even leave enough dog food for them so I had to go get dog food, as well as bring the car into the garage for a new battery, etc. I let the homeowner know of the work I did & sent her pics of everything after I put together & made it sparkling clean! I shared this info in a very friendly manner making it clear that I was “very happy to help because I understand you’re a very busy woman” (I didn’t tell her about the disgusting mess in the bathroom or the dog water bowls being empty because I did not want to embarrass her. ) She seemed to be very grateful and kind & told me she would be giving me a five star review for sure! I sent her the TH invitation for feedback but she did not respond so a few days later I sent her a text welcoming her home and asking if she received my gift. She said she would be sure to leave my review. I have still not received it and I don’t want to text her again because I don’t think that’s appropriate. Soooooo….To make a long story longer, is it possible to send another request for their feedback?

1 Like

@Lizindesun , this is the same issue that first brought me to the forum. Like you, I had knocked myself out to give the HOs the best experience possible. You certainly went way over and above what is expected and you deserve some acknowledgment in the form of a review, a pittance in exchange for all you gave. It’s the only payment you get for all the money spent on supplies, time you spent on home- and pet care, the elbow grease you expended to clean the revolting mess, and the tact with which you dealt with the HOs.

My HOs said they would write a great review and I checked every day, but more than a week later — nothing. During that time, I requested a review through THS, texted a request to them, texted again a few days later mentioning how important a review is to a sitter and may have texted a few days after that giving them instructions on how to leave a review from the website and the app. (What a pest I was!) After that, I just sat tight and fumed.

During that time Angela’s advice was a godsend. She told me sometimes people get very busy and take a long time to submit their review. The longest she had had to wait for a review was six weeks, so I decided to wait it out and hope. Finally, two weeks later, I got a wonderful review.

I tried to learn from the experience. Looking back, I saw that 1. I was too anxious to get my first sit after a year of feeling like I was on house arrest, so took the first one that looked do-able. It was a sit I would have normally passed by. 2. I noticed but it never registered at the time that these people had multiple sitters but had left only two reviews, which indicates that leaving a review is not a priority for them. I would also suggest, asking for a video tour prior to accepting a sit, if possible. I hope it all works out for you and that you end up getting a 5-star review!

10 Likes

Thank you Mars. It was my first sit and I have been anxious to see my review… I want to do this regularly so getting my first review through TH was very important. I was thinking of texting her and asking her if there was something I did that is keeping her from providing me a review??? But I’m just gonna wait it out. I’ve already got my second and my third set scheduled. I am in love with this trusted housesitters concept and site!!! I even met another homeowner while I was at my last sit because she lived in the area! We met for a drink, had a great time and became friends. Unfortunately I decided not to sit for her this time, but I will! People who love animals tend to be good to other people… Everyone I’ve met thru TH has been incredible! I’m EXTREMELY happy to be a Member of Trusted Housesitters!

5 Likes

Hi @Lizindesun , the answer to your question, it is not possible to request another review for the same sitting via the site. You can see under your review list on your dashboard that it will show as Review requested, awaiting response.
I don’t agree with the concept that HOs are too busy to provide timely reviews. I think that the longer you wait, the less likely she will bother. She has responded to your texts and could have done the review in that time.
Have you thought of making a phone call to her? I did that once and I then received a review the next day. How about suggesting that you write the review, text or e-mail it to her and she could then cut and paste it for you. Radical but it may work, I have not tried it myself!
Good luck, you deserve this 5* review

4 Likes

Thankyou @Itchyfeet for answering @Lizindesun and explaining how it works on the website :pray:.

With my sitter hat on I agree with your suggestion of following up off the system. We always try to connect by Whatsapp now for pre-sit communications and on-sit reporting, and if a review doesn’t come through after a week, I send a friendly message, saying I hope all good now they are back, and give a gentle reminder about the reference and how it benefits us both. In the few cases we’ve done it, it always worked :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Lizindesun you have some excellent advice from members & @Vanessa_A with her “sitter hat on”

With my sitter’s hat on and from years of experience, once a sit is over and the owner is back from their time away and getting life back to normal they may not be on their devices or indeed our TrustedHousesitters website as sitter members are.

I’m sure busy sitters planning their pet sitting lifestyles are on the site and checking emails many times a day, unlike the owner member and for reference I am not excusing delayed behavoir and perhaps Trustedhousesitters could do more to impress on owners the importance and significance of timely sitter reviews.

When a sitter is building up reviews for their profile like you @Lizindesun let the owner know just how important it is for you and why, they may not realise … after all they are not sitters.

When reviews have been delayed, depending on what you believe is a delay, one day or a week or more? I’ve written to owners saying although I may have many reviews each and every one is of equal importance, for me or any sitter, it is like receiving the first one all over again, the sense of pride is immense.

The review is an endorsement of the care and pride we take in making each and every sit the best possible experience for pets and owners alike and enables owners to enjoy peace of mind and guilt free travel.

This is why the forum and these conversations are invaluable … members on both sides can step into each other’s shoes and get more understanding of how we can each make every sitting experience successful and a great experience.

I finished my last sit Sunday, have yet to receive a review and the owner is a very experienced member, I’ll give her a nudge.

I also realise I have many reviews to support my profile and applications, hence my advice for new sitters to let owners know the difference the review can make to their personal success.

6 Likes

@Lizindesun yes a review for looking after the pets and house is really not much to ask for and everybody can say they are busy; its just a small courtesy and how much time does it really take in the scheme of things? it used to wind me up but now i just see that as wasted energy on my part and move on making a mental note not to go back to that particular sit; I am sure HOs lose sitters who would otherwise be more than happy to return by not taking five minutes to send a quick review; lack of foresight on their part as each time they will need to run through details of the sit with new people rather than with someone they know does a good job…makes no sense!

4 Likes

With regards to reviews I have also been in the situation where I have needed to remind HOs. I text and whatsapp, as well as use THS reminder button. I do wish that the THS reminder not sound as though I had written it. After having sent many personal reminders the THS one, sounding as though I am again asking, makes me reluctant to use it. Just an official reminder from the site would do much better, in my opinion

3 Likes

I hope this msg is viewable to those who responded to my concern of my first sit not providing a referral request…. I did as you suggested and sent her another gentle reminder. She said her daughter had Covid so she was extremely busy… Boy did I feel horrible! She has now left me a five star review! Her comments were short and sweet but… She did it, so thank you everyone for your input!! I’m so happy to be a member of trusted housesitters!!!

11 Likes

Thank you for being kind and considerate @Lizindesun I do hope her daughter recovers completely and so pleased that you have your 5* review … congratulations!! It’s a great feeling isn’t it? :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Yay! So glad to hear this.

4 Likes

Sound you like you more than deserve a wonderful review after going through all that! We sat for three different homeowners who never gave us a review and to this day I will never know why as we have lots of glowing reviews. We looked after their pets and homes as we do every house sit we go on. One couple I emailed three times and still nothing. I put it down to just getting busy with their own lives once they were home but it was very disheartening.

6 Likes

@Globetrotter and the chances are you would not go back to them? Can I just say to any HOs reading this that as Annette says it is pretty disheartening when we take good care of your lovely animals and home that we sometimes do not get any sort of review. Its not just about getting the star rating blah blah, but its an acknowledgement of the fact that you were able to go away and know that somebody was covering and especially in the case of dogs taking them on some decent adventures (their holiday also!) …we might have been mucking out stables… spending ages filling bags with dandelions for tortoises…playing with kittens for hours etc. As sitters we like to know how we have gone and how we might do better…we are always learning about the animals we care about and your input into that is very important. The flip side to that of course is that sitters need to need accurate feedback for HOs who are also on a learning curve to provide a fair and reasonable sit and honest feedback also helps prospective sitters when they are considering applying for a sit.

3 Likes

The easiest solution to HOs not leaving a review would be to prevent them from listing new dates unless they have reviewed the last sitter. Sounds a bit radical but might work :wink:

18 Likes

@anon39388349 thats an interesting idea!

3 Likes

Very well said! When we were new sitters on the site, I didn’t realize we could give the homeowners reviews so we were kind of remiss in that at the beginning but we never got a request from homeowners for that but now provide our reviews for the homeowners. Can homeowners also request a review? That’s not a question I’ve come across in the forum.

3 Likes

Hi @Globetrotter … checked your question with @Katie_Mc this morning, and she’s confirmed that “Yes they can request it via the feedback section from the drop down menu, and it will send an email to the sitters asking them to leave feedback”. Hope that helps. Have a lovely day!

2 Likes

@Globetrotter yes sorry only just saw your question and @Vanessa_A has answered it. Its worth pointing out though that when you leave feedback for a HO you do not have the option of ‘grading’ particular areas of the sit by the five star method that a HO has eg how clean was the house when you got there as opposed to how clean was the house when you left that the HO gets to grade by i-5 stars. As other sitters have mentioned elsewhere this seems to me biased in favour of the HO and I think it was be reasonable for sitters to be able to use the same system as the HO. You can of course say what ever you want in the box and still mark down a sit that in your opinion could have been for example cleaner, had better communication, the dogs could not be walked safely off lead as claimed etc etc. Sadly as sitters we don’t always do that and alot of sits get 5 star ratings when perhaps they should not. As others have said elsewhere reviews and feedback (whatever you want to call them) are only as useful to either party if they are honest and truthful and are brave enough to list both good and bad aspects of the experience for both sitter and HO.

7 Likes

I must admit here… I left my homeowner a five star review and said everything was great. I did not mention the dirtiness of the house, the laundry dishes, ants everywhere, lack of dog food, the errands I had to run for them, etc. The reason I didn’t mention it was because I was so excited to be on my first sit and so excited to be in this beautiful house that I really just cleaned everything up and spent the next two weeks relaxing and enjoying my time. I always try to be positive, Looking back, and after reading all your input, I probably Shouldn’t have given her a five star review…I did because I had such a great time and loved the pets, location, etc. Admittedly I also wanted a good review myself! it was my first sit/review and I admit I may have not done what was right. I will give this further thought in the future! Thank you all for your input!

5 Likes

Hi. I don’t know where you’re based (Mesa, as in Arizona maybe?) but I regularly use the following quote from Maya Angelou (U.S. writer/poet) - “Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” Most of us on this forum are trying to live that quote. Next time you’ll put into practice all you’ve absorbed from this forum, and from your personal experiences. Being with THS is a great learning experience and adventure.

13 Likes