Sit Review Requests

Hi all,
How long do HO take to leave a review of the sitter? I left a review, requested a review, and am wondering.

As a sitter, I usually wait a few days before I request a review. Some homeowners have provided me with a review before I ask - I really appreciate those type of homeowners! I’ve done three sits where I never did receive a review despite sending a few emails. It varies but I would say on the average most homeowners provide a review within a week.

3 Likes

For me it usually takes me 1-5 days max. The only time I didn’t get to a review right away was because I had family visiting upon our return, other than that I like to get it taken care of right away. On the flip side it has taken sometimes a few days to get feedback from sitters and other times it has taken nearly a month.

When it took a really long time for us to get feedback I just politely messaged the sitter and asked if they had a good time? Anything we could improve for future sits? and if they would write us feedback soon thereafter they did. Sometimes people just get super swept up with life so I try to remain flexible and not dwell on it.

This has been discussed quite a bit here on the forum. Here are some other discussions regarding reviews and feedback and some cross-over with your question. I hope this helps!

Here are some topic threads to have a look at, feel free to use the spyglass to find others:

1 Like

My very first sit never did review me. I dutifully did my feedback, then sent the prompt from the website, then sent a text message all over about a week’s time. Ghosted, though I know I did a great job for them. This has happened to me four times. Great sit, no review. Very disappointing. I try not to let it bother me but it still feels like unfinished business.

2 Likes

I’ve gotten to the point now that when I have the video chat prior to accepting a sit, I mention the importance of a review of me on the platform, and how it helps me to continue to be a sitter for others in the future. I also take the time to look through the feedback of their previous sitters and I then look to be sure that they’ve left reviews for their sitters. If they haven’t, I ask them why they didn’t leave a review when I video chat with them. If they have a history of non-reviews, then I take that as a “red flag”.
Because I am a homeowner too, I mention reviews in my welcome guide, that a good review will be forthcoming after the sit and I ask for feedback from the sitter as well. I’ve found that some homeowners as well as sitters, especially the new ones, do not really understand the importance of a good review to a sitter. And I take the time to point out to them that it’s important for a homeowner to receive feedback from each sitter, and how it can be looked upon as a “red flag” if they don’t.

3 Likes

I’ve done 8 sits and all homeowners provided their reviews within 1 week

1 Like

@sledgejoyce that is a really great idea to mention the feedback and reviews during the video call. This does show the other party the importance you place on reviews and should let them know you are obviously very dedicated to making sure everything is done correctly. I know I would consider it to be just that case.

1 Like

I recently had a pet sitting that went very well, home owner seemed very appreciate etc, but they did not provide a review. I did review them and gave them 5 stars and. a good write up. I did request a review from them through the app but they still have not written anything. I’m thinking they just forgot or missed the email that prompts them to leave a review.

Would it be inappropriate to text message them directly and politely ask if they’d consider leaving me a review?

Have they reviewed other sitters?

1 Like

They have yes

@Sam93 , Here is another topic that discusses this.

https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/when-owners-don-t-write-review/

The THS site will cue the HO to write a review if they log on but chances are, they may not until they’re ready to list new dates. Have you sent a review request? You can do this by clicking on your profile, then reviews. You can also send a private text to them. If no results after two weeks, I send a third request. If no results after that, it’s a washout, unfortunately. Sometimes after a long time an owner will surprise you and leave one.

I now only leave feedback after the HO has left me a review. They need good feedback to make their listing attractive to prospective sitters, and a sitter who has received a review is more likely to leave feedback for the HO.

1 Like

There’s no reason you can’t send a friendly nudge. I wouldn’t ask more than twice.

1 Like

I’ve had HOs tell me that they didn’t get my review request. I would contact them again, via THS messaging or text/WhatsApp/other, with a link to the review page, to make it very easy for them.

2 Likes

I think I may incorporate the topic into future interviews. I’m just surprised, since I went above and beyond when I agreed to remain committed to the sit even when the dog became very ill before their trip and needed a lot of additional care and attention. Also, I replenished expensive pet food for which I didn’t request reimbursement. It’s been 10 days. It’s possible they are overwhelmed upon their return. I’ll reach out again at the two-week mark and inquire if they might take a moment to leave a review of the sit. I did notice that they used THS once before and left no review of the sitter.

Hi - An update to this post: I let it go and eventually the HO posted a wonderful review. It all worked out.

3 Likes

Hi. We recently had a sitter look after our home and pup for a month, I didn’t get an automated request for a review, as I had expected. Our sitter sent me a message yesterday (4 weeks later) requesting a review, and I was more than happy to do that. If my experience is the same for others and we are not requested to complete a review automatically, then I’d encourage you to reach out for one. Hope this is helpful.

6 Likes

@mars so if a homeowner never writes the review, does that mean you never write yours? I’m thinking I may need to adopt this strategy. We worked our booty off on a recent petsit, I wrote my review but still haven’t received theirs even though I sent the request and even messaged them

We never write ours @IHeartAnimals until the HO review is done from the other side. As sitters they feel like our only “currency”. Hope your latest one comes soon :+1:t3:

3 Likes

@IHeartAnimals , I concur with @Cuttlefish.

4 Likes

I don’t write reviews till after the HO does.

2 Likes