ID Verifications

Thanks for pointing this site out @claresitsdogs
As I have done with many sites of this type, I submitted an opt out request and my information has been removed. These types of sites have an opt out feature. You search your name on their site, copy the URL and paste it into their opt-out form. They ask for an email address to communicate with you so I use a “secondary” address.

2 Likes

I have had many exchanges with TH about this new policy, which is driving many sitters away (myself included) because we don’t want to risk identity theft.

My primary suggestion is to let owners decide for themselves! Let those sitters who want to be “verified” do so. Give them a badge, or number or something. Then let home owners decide if they want a “verified” sitter or not.

So far, TH says they will not do this. They don’t trust owners to make our own decisions. Really sad.

1 Like

Evident also couldn’t handle the initial sign-up process, so that doesn’t give me any assurance.

Having now read the negative comments to this new imposition and having been unsuccessful in trying to satisfy their requirements I’m inclined to giving up. Particularly as I have provided a police check and I have several very positive reviews. I don’t want another third party having my personal details.

3 Likes

Keowngurl that is a very arrogant response to a genuine concern. No a good examply of customer service

1 Like

it’s a genuine response. No one ever has to do anything they are not comfortable with. We are each free to choose, do and go where we please.
When we are uncomfortable, we shift our position.

6 Likes

As far as I know @Kelownagurl expressed her opinion and has nothing to do with customer services.
I don’t see any arrogance in voicing this.

7 Likes

Just a gentle reminder from our Community Rules…

Be kind and courteous

We’re all in this space together to create a welcoming environment for both existing and potential members of TrustedHousesitters. We should treat each other with respect. Healthy debate is encouraged however kindness is required - rudeness, personal insults, or judgments will not be permitted.

Thank you everyone :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t work for THS, I’m a sitter. I’m just stating the facts. People who feel very very strongly may choose not to participate. I don’t see how that can be construed as arrogant.

4 Likes

I am against singling out sitters for background checks. HO’s can be criminals just as sitters can. Sitters also take risk going into someone’s home they don’t know, have never met. All sitters have to have funds, credit cards, cash etc…, along with DL & passport plus if like me a vehicle. We can be robbed of our possessions and identity’s also or worse physically harmed.

I am also against putting my information online that can be stolen. I have been a 5* sitter since 2018. I think my reviews should be enough for HO to decide if I’m trustworthy. In a reply I received from THS, it was said that this was done as a way to have more HOs become members. In other words, more money. At least that is how it sounded to me! Well I believe that this has caused some of problems with no sitters to apply for sits and sitters leaving the site. I do not plan on renewing my membership because I do not wish to take the risk of putting my personal information here not because I have anything to ‘cover up’. It does not feel safe, especially for a mutually beneficial service(not a job)!

I notice some are using Facebook to find sits. How has that worked for you?

Dianne

1 Like

It’s like playing whack-a-mole.

New sketchy sites pop up all the time and the existing ones re-collect and post our info for sale.

For a few years, I subscribed to a service that would deal with this (taking down my information), but even they couldn’t reach all all it. I now have, through my employer, an identity theft (etc.) service.

3 Likes

Because of Covid, the state where I live changed the deadlines for renewing drivers’ licenses. They were closed for many months during Covid and are still catching up with the demand now. As a result my DL date looks expired, but it actually isn’t according to my state. I need to upload it for the background check. I will get the new one soon, but want to apply for housesits right away. Can I explain this to Evident? My state is honoring my DL as valid for several more months. I am considering a note below my DL (on photo) to explain this to Evident. Need to upload ASAP.

1 Like

Do you have a passport that you could use instead?

Hi @Traveler99 I have Direct Messaged you advising that I have passed this over to the Membership Services Team who handled all such enquiries and will also tag one of our Forum Team @Therese to pick up when she is back online.

1 Like

Thank you, Angela. I have a photo of my DL with a note (from me) stating it is still valid based on Covid date changes for renewals. Should I upload that pic?

1 Like

Hello @Traveler99 Just jumping in as @Angela_L is now offline until later, but please be assured @Therese will pick up this morning and advise.

Hi @Traveler99 I will email you directly through membership services to help you with this issue.
Kind regards
Therese

Many of the same frequent-commenters who speak up for forum expectations around being kind, open minded, and respecting differences are also the ones leaving comments on this topic that, in effect, say “if you don’t like TH, leave.” That doesn’t feel very kind or open minded. Members and former members who disagree about a one-sided** security policy that is risky in terms of cyber theft should feel they have the right to share their opinion without being told “you don’t belong here.” That is just my opinion.

** One sided = Only sitters, not homeowners. And also only US resident sitters.

1 Like

Hi, I’ve paid for a membership and set up my profile, but I can’t verify my identity because I haven’t received the text to upload a photo of my ID. I’ve requested the text a dozen times to two different cell phone numbers and from different browsers. I tried the app but that function doesn’t appear to be available. Is this a common problem? And is there another way to verify my identity? I requested support but received an email saying they have high volume and it could be days before they reply. Thanks for any assistance.

Hi @katz Welcome to our community forum from beautiful Victoria BC, I used to live on the Island in Nanoose Bay, near Nanaimo

Tthank you for joining and I’m sorry you are having tech issues however I have looked at your account and the system show both verifications are completed and your profile is live on the site and also show verifications completed (see screen shot)

Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 23.24.33

Try logging out and a different browser.

Again welcome to our community and we look forward to getting to know you and sharing in your next pet sitting adventure.

Angela and the team