Insurance for sitter

In Germany the insurance goes with the house, not the person using it. So if this happened to my home my insurance would cover it without you having to pay a cent.
@Provence we also have a personal liability insurance which, in this case, would have nothing to do with the insurance for the house itself.
Of course, insurances always will try to find someone to blame but first it will pay for the damage and might look for someone responsible later.
For example, years ago, my parent’s neighbor’s son caused a fire which damaged my parent’s house. Not the insurance of the neighbors had to pay but my parent’s own insurance for their house. The neighbor’s house burned completely down and their insurance also only covered their own house.
…so many “owns” and “theirs”, I hope it’s understandable…

Isn’t this covered by THS insurance?

https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/pages/home-and-contents-protection/

I thought I did. It’s extra coverage for owners who must also already have house insurance. Right?

What we decided is this:
There is no guarantee that, in the event of damage, any insurer, or THS, might decide to pursue the sitter for recompense. For that reason we identified an insurer which could, for a reasonable price, give us third party cover. That was our solution.
We are pretty sure this would be an unlikely eventuality, but we wanted to feel a little more secure that damaging something expensive – such as a £500 coffee machine, or even a £250,000 house – would not make us paupers.

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: A conversation about insurance

That’s probably a good idea. Maybe I’ll look into that.

Hello Keith
Sorry to restart this but just for clarification…
May i ask why you chose “identified an insurer which could, for a reasonable price, give us third party cover” rather than opt for THS “standard” cover which would appear to offer third party cover ?
I’m happy to pay THS the extra £30 just for peace of mind but wonder if i’m missing something. Thanks Steve UK