Is bringing your own pet on a sit allowed?

I would not mind if someone brought their pet. Of course, it would be their responsibility to make sure it didn’t escape into a strange neighborhood. I would want to know in advance.

1 Like

@Romana what a great share and welcome to your new addition. Does your little Syrian Hamster have a name?

Sure, Carla, my hamster-boy is called “Creamy” because of his colour. In the meantime he got a future bride (pictured here, kept in a separate cage) called “Giga”.

I am just building a large run - a real adventure park - for them in my new van, on the pull-out platform which you can see in the picture below. This is also the coolest place in the vehicle, for the times when we travel from place to place. But usually I have my hamsters in my bedroom when I housesit. At the moment I am in beautiful Denmark!

6 Likes

@Romana
They are very lucky hamsters. I love how you organized an amazing space for them.
I love your van, and keep enjoying Denmark. Another place on my bucket list :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Romana as @Therese said they are very lucky hamsters! :hamster::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Enjoy Denmark, we love it there :denmark:

2 Likes

@Romana What a cool set-up you all have. Thank you for sharing. Creamy & Giga are adorable and two lucky little hamsters to be travelling on your adventures with you. Safe travels and enjoy Denmark!

2 Likes

@Romana you got a new van??!! I know you loved your old van dearly. Was it a difficult decision? And did you sell or scrap the old one?

We have 3 Goldens. Are there owners who allow you to bring your dogs on a sit?

Welcome @Tedg - yes there are sits that allow the sitter to bring their pets.

However 3 goldens might be a big ask for some Home owners depending on the property size and the number of pets they already have .

Another suggestion is that you could become a member as both sitter and HO - so you can list your home and dogs as a sit whilst you are sitting for someone else . I know that there are THS members that do this and it works well for them .

3 Likes

Hello @Tedg and a warm welcome to the Community Forum :wave:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

I have attached a thread you should find helpful

Are you already members of TrustedHousesitters? If you are a member, once your listing is completed you can also add your TrustedHousesitters profile on to your Forum profile by following the attached link, should you wish. This will then enable others to offer you helpful advice and feedback.

I have also attached a video to show you how it all works.

Also, remember you can use the spyglass symbol at the top of the page next to the TrustedHousesitters logo and search for any questions that you may have as they have most likely already been answered on here and of course if not then please just ask!

I have attached a thread below, it would be great if you could join in with this as we think you could offer great feedback and your input would be a great addition :blush:

2 Likes

Honestly it seems that some people are ok with pets as additional THS’s. Some are definitely not. We have asked twice so far and got NO’s.

Ask 1: HO’s dogs have been snappy towards other dogs so they don’t want a risk of a bite occurring.

Ask 2: HO’s previously said yes to another THS. The THS’s dog DESTROYED the HO’s apartment. HO told me they cannot trust when another THS says their dog is well behaved, because their previous THS already violated that trust.

Things to ask yourself:

Is your cat well behaved?

Are they clean?

Do they scratch furniture?

Will they be a bite risk? (Past the normal cat hissy fit.)

Will they respect the house pets?

Cats take up two weeks to be ok with other cats- will your cat mark? Attack the HO’s pets?

Many cats do not accept new cats and might mark, are you ready to be responsible if the HO’s cats mark?

Does your cat like dogs?

I for example would never bring my cats, they are great- at home. However, they do not warm up to cats easily. Dogs they don’t care about but it takes a bit for them to like other cats.

My dog on the other hand, is an absolute charm, clean trained to only go potty outside, good with cats, dogs, and does not destroy anything. However, a previous THS has killed the desire of the HO who I currently applied to house sit for to even consider because they violated trust.

If you can answer the above questions with concrete knowledge and experience of the scenarios, ask. If you can’t, just keep in mind that how your cat acts will set a precedent that either makes or breaks a HO’s trust and their future acceptance of other THS. making requests to bring their pets.

Great idea.

Yes, botvot, I really loved my old Romahome, but it sadly broke down with irreparable engine damage when I was crossing through Germany a month ago. It was 34 years old and very rusty. Luckily it found a permanent home as a garden toy camper for children and didn’t need to be scrapped. The picture shows my old and my new vehicle in comparison.

It is only a pain to get a vehicle registered when you buy it in another country and don’t intend to travel “home” (in my case England) in the next time… Luckily Germany offers “red international transit number plates” with a validity of up to 12 months. They are expensive but a good solution to get insurance, I think. But then I will have to rent a home and settle in Germany (at least for a while) if I want to avoid export fees in the thousands.

3 Likes

So glad you found a solution @Romana, may your new van bring you lots of joy and new experiences.

2 Likes

Hello from Barcelona!
I am interested in joining as a house sitter, and have ample experience with animals, including at a professional level. My neutered, well-behaved dog is used to going everywhere with me and has also shared his living space with cats, dogs, birds, and has a close relationship with a horse.
I’m wondering if there would be some house owners open to my sitting for them accompanied by my dog? I am aware that it may not always be ideal, but if still 50% of home owners are open to the option that’d be good.
I’d like to hear any of your thoughts about this, thanks!

I actually just finished a sit that previously had a sitter bring their own dog. I’m not sure if 50% of owners would be open to it but there’s no better way than to apply and ask

I used to take both my Labrador dogs with me on sits, I only have Rohan now and have recently completed 2 repeat sits with him. I tend to apply for rural sits and small holding type sits as there’s normally multiple pets already.

7 Likes

I know there are a few people who house/pet sit accompanied by their own pet, but I’d like to hear your experiences. Is it hard to get a sit? Have you ever had a problem once you got there? I’ll be traveling with my Sheltie and have house and dog sat with him and the HO’s dogs became fast friends with him.

Check your question in the search field as this has been discussed a lot so will be useful to you

Hi @rosawoodsii , Here is one of the topics mentioned by @Smiley .
https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/is-bringing-your-own-pet-on-a-sit-allowed/
There are sitters here who sit with their own dogs. It is harder to find sits but they’re there. Welcome!

1 Like